• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unlocking Destiny Early (Xbox One)

mcfrank

I know this has been mentioned previously deep in other threads, but I thought it deserved its own thread. I make no promises that this will work, but it appears it will. I am in the USA and tested with New Zealand, you can try others if you wish.

1.) preload Destiny
- at this point the listing for the game will say it is downloaded, but is not playable until 12pst

2.) go to settings, system, language and location and change your location to New Zealand
- your system will reboot

3.) go to settings, system, time zone and choose Auckland, Wellington UTC +12

4.) go back to the Destiny page
- it now says it unlocks at 12 NZST

If you are off work on Monday like me and want to play, this may be your best bet.

Edit - it is possible you may need to redownload the game from the NZ store, but we don't know for sure yet. I have already done so just in case. You still want to purchase the game from the us store.

ZeroX03

Banned
Unfortunately on PS4, Sony killed this for Diablo III and looking at my preload it doesn't seem that using an NZ account will unlock (a US PSN) Destiny early either.

mcfrank

Unfortunately on PS4, Sony killed this for Diablo III and looking at my preload it doesn't seem that using an NZ account will unlock (a US PSN) Destiny early either.

That is too bad. Hopefully someone finds a work around on PS4. In an all digital world, artificial restrictions like this are silly.

funkypie

Banned

i am UK using a secondary US account to buy destiny.

does your pre-load under information say un-shareable? I a kinda worried the game won't work on my main account and I will be forced to use the US one.

Razgreez

does your pre-load under information say un-shareable? I a kinda worried the game won't work on my main account and I will be forced to use the US one.

You say "secondary US account" (which might be ambiguous), is this US account setup as a primary account?

Niven

I just don't see early access to an online only game of this size to be realistic in any way.

Is it really early access I mean people over there could go buy the game at midnight so what reason would they have to pre order on xbox if it didn't open up at midnight?

MAX PAYMENT

its not early access. Its a different timezone.

How is "unlocking destiny early" through the use of an early time zone not early access? And if it isn't early access, why is there a thread about it?

EDIT: Christ, I thought it would be inherently clear that I was talking about it being early access for those, obviously, changing their time zone. As this is completely irrelevant to people of that region.

tuna_love

Banned
How is "unlocking destiny early" through the use of an early time zone not early access? And if it isn't early access, why is there a thread about it?

EDIT: Christ, I thought it would be inherently clear that I was talking about it being early access for those, obviously, changing their time zone. As this is completely irrelevant to people of that region.

on xbox if you buy a game in any store you have the license for all stores. If there was any doubt just buy it from your own country, pre load from the Australian store and Bob is your uncle. Christ

I thought Bungie's servers don't unlock until 12am PST on Tuesday, so it doesn't matter if your copy unlocks early. Still can't play, unfortunately.

Edit: Nvm I was wrong. Ignore me.

Well Kiwis and Aussies going to midnight releases might be pissed off
Yeah, I had that wrong. My bad.

2uGyUFS.jpg

ZeroX03

Banned

It says "Application Starting: Ineligible", but it says that regardless of the account, it's just a preload thing. My US Diablo III did the same thing.

xexon

Banned
I just did this to try and damnnnnn look at the prices of games in the game store. $100+ for a game lol.

QaaQer

Nice.

Pissed I can't do this with ps4, goddamnit sony.

edit: seriously, it's a pretty big selling point if you can play all new digital games 18 hours early on xbox.

Idba

Set both accounts to "Primary" and you'll be able to play on both users

Destiny servers go online on 8th noon GMT, so you can play it. People with early disk copies will be playing it a day early than digital version people.

mcfrank

Would MS ban people for doing stuff like this?

For all the talk of people getting early game bans it doesn't match with my experience. I live in LA and know which stores break street dates and have gotten the following games early usually the Friday before,

Halo 2
Halo 3
Halo Reach
Halo 4
Mass effect 3
Street fighter x Tekken
Rock band 3
Guitar hero 2
GTA 5

I have played all of these games online on xbox or playstation as soon as I got them and never seen a ban. If you legitimately payed for a game, it is highly unlikely you will get banned. For me, this trick is actually getting the game later than I would by finding a place that will sell it early.

Omni

I'm on east coast of Australia anyway. A few hours doesn't particularly matter

I hope the Xbox Store lets us play it when the clock ticks over though. I don't really want to wait for the store to update or something

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i assume you can switch your time zone back later. pretty nice if it will actually work

jesu

for buying a region free game from their region free marketplace on their region free console ?

I think faking your address in order to buy from the other marketplaces is the shady part.
Whether or not bans are incoming for that is unknown.

I highly doubt just switching your location to NZ and playing Destiny early will result in a ban though.

Top Bottom