• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony ending PSN support for PSP on September 15th

oldmario

After the Playstation Portable has recently received a firmware update to version 6.60 3 years ago, and they just left was allowed to lie since that was announced today that the PlayStation Store will be removed access via the PSP from the September 15, 2014.

That change will take place on the server side, and not via a firmware update, so neither modified firmware, not-updating will not help.

PSP titles will still be transferred via a computer with or without Media Go on your PSP device, as it always has been and to give input on the E1000. The function new content to download via Wifi but omitted from approx next week. Especially for owners of a PSP Go this is a slap in the face, because those depend on the PSN store, if they (the remainder strongly recommended) firmware does not have piped unofficial.

The PS Vita is not affected by this change, fortunately, if one uses the pre-installed PSN Store App of the PS Vita.

According to the sent email, however, you should still be able to view the download list on the PSP, from a wireless download option, as it is possible to date / was, there is unfortunately nothing.

Translated from here

seems like a bad move if you don't own a ps3, i can't find on the mediago website if they support anything but windows

Edit: Update with response from Sony
As of September 15, 2014, we closed the PlayStation®Store for PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) in European and PAL regions. PSP users will still be able to purchase PSP content from the Sony Entertainment Network Online Store as well as redownload content they purchased in the past from the download list on their PSP systems.”

Source

oGNShbO.jpg

Woah, I suppose it costs to keep the psp compatable side up - but I prefer to play PSP games on vita anyway (but dammit I wish they would add some missing PSP classics like MegaMan Powered Up! to the PSN)

Shizuka

And a certain publisher is still expecting to release several PSP games before the support would be over. It's not that far now, that company has exactly one PSP game released so far and zero announced.

Zhao_Yun

So wait... SCEE refuses to enable Vita compatibility for some PSP games and now they are shutting down the store on the PSP completely?

Have there been other reports about it or just this forum entry?

SerTapTap

Just the store, but online play possibly still works? Store on PSP was always awful anyway. Guess it sucks if you have neither a PC nor a PS3.

Mohasus

Digital future, something something.

Can I still buy PSP games on the web store, though?

PSP titles will still be transferred via a computer with or without Media Go on your PSP device, as it always has been and to give input on the E1000.

I'm a E1000 owner, so now my PSP sucks a little less (actually I love the matte finish).

Andrefpvs

I wonder if in 20 years we'll still be able to download our PS3 games.

I know there's other ways to get your games on your PSP other than using the PSP's store, but this kinda opens a worrying precedent.

Kysen

Wow I didn't even know PSP could connect to PSN and I bought it at JP launch. When was this introduced?

SerTapTap

Welp my PSP Go is now useless. What a bonehead move.

Should be able to download all your games to a PC and transfer them at-will I think. Though Content Manager for Vita is much nicer about this than the PSP ever was.

I'm a E1000 owner, so now my PSP sucks a little less (actually I love the matte finish).

Everyone point and laugh

But every digital PSP game is playable on VITA...

Well, technically, but you can't actually put ON every digital PSP game on Vita. Some probable license fuckery makes it impossible to put certain titles on there and thus play, though the system can play 'em if you got 'em in the great PSN screwup that allowed that.

RE_Player

Whoever rags on the PSP clearly never owned or cared enough to find games for it. Incredible library and was one of the only handhelds to put up a fight against Nintendo. Incredible platform.

Top Bottom