• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: notch initiated Mojang sales talks, likely to leave after transition

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
More at the link.

Bloomberg said:
If a deal is reached, Microsoft plans to pay for an acquisition with cash held overseas, one person familiar with the company said. That would have favorable tax consequences for the software maker, whose vast majority of cash and short-term investments are kept outside the U.S.

Persson Selling

The deal came together after Mojang founder Markus Persson reached out to Microsoft a few months ago, based on a positive working relationship on Minecraft for Xbox, said the person familiar with Microsoft.

The two companies quickly agreed on a framework and approximate price and have been working out the details since, the person said. Persson will help out with the transition, though he is unlikely to remain beyond that, according to the person.

Xbox chief Phil Spencer has a close relationship with Persson, and has flown out to have dinners with the Mojang founder, another person familiar with Microsoft said.

The software maker calculates it can boost Minecraft sales by expanding the number of game users through Microsoft’s position in video games and computers, and by expanding licensing for things like toys and movies, said one of the people.
Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-09/microsoft-said-near-2-billion-deal-for-minecraft-maker.html

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Smart man, if he initiated he wanted out anyway before that for reasons worth it to him

Chindogg

He's done with Minecraft and wants out. Can't blame him for wanting to do something else now.

Still its kinda shitty to his employees, but here's hoping they'll just go with him on whatever he decides to make next.

Savitar

I'll go with my original assessment, likely Notch believe Minecraft was pretty much as good as he was going to do and decided anything less would likely always be compared unfavorable to it. Decided hey, why not cash out while it was good to do so.

jem0208

He's done with Minecraft and wants out. Can't blame him for wanting to do something else now.

Still its kinda shitty to his employees, but here's hoping they'll just go with him on whatever he decides to make next.

Why would it be shitty?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
omfg.. I'm dying here.. hahahaha...

good on notch I guess. Holy shit he is going to be insanely rich beyond already being insanely rich.

Still a godawful buy for MS. If the sale goes through whoever is actually responsible for the purchase needs to be fired. Unless they are just planning on leaving Minecraft alone and looking solely at revenue from like the 300 different platforms it's on.

They're obviously buying the Minecraft IP.

That's the sole reason for the acquisition.

fair enough, but can the IP really be worth that much? I guess unless their plans are to simply Sims-it to death. But even that wouldn't last very long.

Meier

and Minecraft IP is belong to him and not to Mojang if i'm not wrong ?

I can't even fathom there being anything greater than a 0% chance that Microsoft would go through with this deal if they didn't get the Minecraft IP. That's where the money is in the deal, undoubtedly. It's a big name brand with kids.

Randdalf

He hasn't worked on Minecraft for years.

TomShoe

Banned
Can't blame the man for cashing out.

Still I wonder what this means for Minecraft. I hope it doesn't contract or become Xbox-exclusive or anything crazy.

And with the story now out in the open expect a mad scramble of interest from other companies and probably even more money for notch

Hugstable

Banned
Hss the deal even been made yet? Does Microsoft know that Notch is planning to leave? Then again they might just be buying it for the IP name.

Shogun1337

For those of you wondering if Minecraft is worth a $2B buy

Yes, easily. Over the next couple of years, if they play their cards right (lol), they can make many times more than that.

So, essentially, it's a win win for both Microsoft and Mojang. God I wish I had Notch's money.

Boke1879

While I definitely can't hate him for taking the money and leaving. Notch is going to get A LOT of shit from his fans about this.

After his public comments about facebook and Oculus and him turning down money like this before. He might not want to be on twitter for a bit. But hey he'll be a billionaire.

Duxxy3

Jesus... this actually real. They are really going through with it.

Maybe they can bring in notch to design something else? Not related to Minecraft.

fuzzyset

I still can't believe this tiny Java game I bought in alpha has turned into this crazy phenomenon. 2B$??? Talk about catching lightning in a bottle.

Curious where Microsoft will go with the IP.

and Minecraft IP is belong to him and not to Mojang if i'm not wrong ?

Microsoft are obviously buying the Minecraft IP. They're not going to buy Mojang for $2 billion and then the week after their lawyers say "whoops; turns out we only bought the studio and Persson still owns Minecraft outright!"

Timeaisis

Well, there you go. He wants out. Makes sense, he probably figures they're never going to have a huge hit like Minecraft again, so why not cash out while you still can. And MS just wants the brand, as has been said in other threads.

Kill3r7

Can't blame the man for cashing out.

Still I wonder what this means for Minecraft. I hope it doesn't contract or become Xbox-exclusive or anything crazy.

For 2 billion dollars I think MSFT is entitled to do whatever they want with the IP. However, if the idea is to maximize profits they'll release it on all platforms.

Tycho_b

For those of you wondering if Minecraft is worth a $2B buy

Yes, easily. Over the next couple of years, if they play their cards right (lol), they can make many times more than that.

So, essentially, it's a win win for both Microsoft and Mojang. God I wish I had Notch's money.

Check Rovio's story

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Seems to jive with this notch tweet from a few months back.
BxJyZbdIcAAAaRv.jpg:large

Top Bottom