• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Image from the Verge's Galaxy Note 3 and iPhone 6+ reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
tdTOVP8.jpg

Just found it a bit funny. .

(Different people, different preferences, different sized hands, etc. I know.)

daviyoung

Banned
I don't see the funny bit honestly. Different people reviewing stuff have different opinions?

The Verge is only one thing reviewing it

And aren't they constantly mocked for their Apple bias or is that another tech site, maybe Wired? Ah they're all the same to me.

Anyway, Note 3 is (slightly) wider than the iPhone 6+ and it's the width that factors into the one-hand use rather than the height.

How does usability with one hand change in a year? It either is or isn't.

I believe there is a feature with the new iPhone's where tapping on the home button twice shrinks down the UI elements/border to about half way down the screen so you can reach the top with the phone in one hand hand. So there's that I guess.

Cuphead

Banned
Kinda shows how people are getting used to changing tech as the time goes by.

Or just because it's different reviewers who knows.

rezuth

And aren't they constantly mocked for their Apple bias or is that another tech site, maybe Wired? Ah they're all the same to me.

Anyway, Note 3 is (slightly) wider than the iPhone 6+

I don't think anyone at the verge has been an apple fanboy for the last three years. Of pic you listened to their old podcast all they did was sit around and shit on apple while praising their android phones.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The Verge has been pretty embarrassing in the last little while, but this comparison is not fair comparing two things said by two different reviewers. The one who had the first opinion shat on the 6 Plus's size yesterday.

daviyoung

Banned
I don't think anyone at the verge has been an apple fanboy for the last three years. Of pic you listened to their old podcast all they did was sit around and shit on apple while praising their android phones.

seems rotten however you slice it

Lo-Volt

"Not too unwieldy to hold in one hand (I can physically make the fingers of one of my hands wrap around this device)" as opposed to "hard to use (as in, when I try to manipulate the phone through its input)". And even if we want to criticize The Verge or Apple, can't we do better than ignoring the entire review of the Galaxy Note just to make fun of the iPhone 6 or The Verge's attitude to it? (Also, The Verge didn't even fully review the phone yet, so why are you picking on them already?) Anyway, speaking of the Galaxy Note 3 review, here's how it ended:

Dan Seifert said:
The Note 3 is not a phone for everyone — looking at it side-by-side next to my iPhone, I wonder how two beings of the same species could opt for such wildly different devices — but the runaway successes of the Note and Note II have proven that there is a demand for such a large phone.

He's making a very personal comment about what he thinks about this form factor, not making an editorial statement for The Verge. He also gave the phone 8.2 points out of a possible 10, so his opinion of it is still higher than what someone was making it out to be just now based on one sentence of the entire review.

I've actually heard multiple tech sites say how surprised they are at how it feels in one hand. It seems that the roundness of the screen and edges combined with the width of the phone makes it feel better in the hand than the usual Phablet.

Metal-Geo

Yes. Incredibly funny. Today I asked a few colleagues for their opinion on a project. Their opinions differed. It was hilarious. What a funny day this has been. Many laughs.

No.

Renzoku

Banned
Show me a tech/gadget site that isn't riddled with Apple fanboys.

I mean, yeah, sure it could just be that phone sizes keep growing so 5.5" isn't as big of a pill to...swallow...but it wouldn't be the first time the Verge has done something like this.

Servbot24

Banned
Reviews by different people a year apart. These types of images are really stupid. Right up there with "lyrics then vs lyrics now" and "demonstrating diminishing returns with blobs".

Anyway, Note 3 is (slightly) wider than the iPhone 6+ and it's the width that factors into the one-hand use rather than the height.

It's 1mm wider. Your statement makes no practical sense.

Wasn't this a year apart and different reviewers? Kind of stretching here...

If a reviewer is going to make a statement as bold as "it's not a phone you can use with one hand" and yet another reviewer (from the same site) says the opposite about the same/similar-sized phone...that's a problem. Those kinds of statements should be qualified, somehow.

I don't really know how. Hand measurements seem silly.

And I don't see what being a year apart has to do with anything.

TUSR

Banned
How does usability with one hand change in a year? It either is or isn't.

iPhone 6+
158.1 x 77.8 x 7.1 mm
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
151.2 x 79.2 x 8.3 mm

iPhone 6+ is more ergonomic and isn't as wide.
Apple's main concern with making a bigger phone was its width due to varying hand sizes.

Or you could just chalk it up to different reviewers.

3phemeral

Concerning the "1 year apart" and "journalists have had time to get used to large phones," the reason why that line of reasoning is off is that there have been dozens of phablet iterations for more than 3 years now. So if there was some amount of "adjustment period," it would have happened way before now.

iPhone 6+
158.1 x 77.8 x 7.1 mm
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
151.2 x 79.2 x 8.3 mm

iPhone 6+ is more ergonomic and isn't as wide.
Apple's main concern with making a bigger phone was its width due to varying hand sizes.

Or you could just chalk it up to different reviewers.

Actually it was the reachability of the top left corner of the screen, according to their own ads

OmegaFax

Hands don't suddenly get shrink or grow in a year. The phone either fits the hand or it doesn't. It's almost like someone dissing Fruit Loops but say the Fruity Cheerios is the best cereal on the planet.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Everything apple does is better, duh. Can't wait for them to invent the circle smart watch.

ElFly

Good.

Now Samsung will feel bold enough to create an even bigger Galaxy Note 5.

I know the Samsung Mega exists, but it is kind of underpowered compared to the Note line.

Squalor

The iPhone 6 Plus is thinner.

Also, the Note 3 review was almost a year ago. People have gotten more accustomed to larger phones since then.

Finally, the fact that different people made the comments completely invalidates your bullshit.

SeanR1221

Man, the Apple haters came out in droves yesterday. The amount of complaining on my Facebook was hilarious. People even going as far as to beg others not to pre order the 6 and buy an android phone instead.

Also funny how I never see the opposite happen....

J-Rod

Same deal where every review site was disgusted with the galaxy's plastic body and docking review points for it then came the 5c and plastic was no longer a big issue.

Same deal where every review site was disgusted with the galaxy's plastic body and docking review points for it then came the 5c and plastic was no longer a big issue.

To be fair, 5C is intended as a budget phone where the Galaxy is a flagship. it SHOULD be clowned for the cheap plastic look

LOL at anyone saying "people's hands have gotten used to the size!"

If you're going to criticize this image, put some thought and research into it. How long have 5" or more phones/phablets been around?

iamblades

I've never understood the whole metal = better thing anyway.

Metal is an objectively terrible material to make a phone case out of. I got an idea, lets use a material that blocks radio waves to build this device that sends and receives radio waves, then we have to build these ugly cutouts the case for antennas and completely destroy the minimalist aesthetic that made us famous.

I've never understood the whole metal = better thing anyway.

Metal is an objectively terrible material to make a phone case out of. I got an idea, lets use a material that blocks radio waves to build this device that sends and receives radio waves, then we have to build these ugly cutouts the case for antennas and completely destroy the minimalist aesthetic that made us famous.

Who said it had to be metal to look quality? Some phones just look cheaper than others. OG iPhone set a quality standard for flagships. Many others make an effort like Sony (glass) and HTC (metal unibody), then you have samsung who has great features but the plastic and repetitive design leaves much to be desired.

I don't think its unfair at all to say that the Galaxy series looks kind of cheap when you're comparing it to other flagships. It's not objective, but its not an isolated opinion either.

Aldebaran

"The Moto 360 is too aggressive. It's too big. It's too shiny. Its face is too large in comparison to its bezel. Its strap flops out from the edge of its case like a dog's tongue on a hot day"

From this pointles article about the Apple Watch. Criticism is necessary and useful when it's well supported, this is just pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom