• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think the games released in 2014 are better than the ones from 10 years ago?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_in_video_gaming
Some of 2004's notable releases said:
Ninja Gaiden
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Unreal Tournament 2004
Far Cry
Metal Slug 3
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Tales of Symphonia
Doom 3
Burnout 3: Takedown
Katamari Damacy
Mega Man Zero 3
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Counter-Strike: Source
EverQuest II
Halo 2
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3
Half-Life 2
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
World of Warcraft

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_in_video_gaming
Some of 2014's notable releases said:
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Assassin’s Creed Liberation HD
Halo: Spartan Assault
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
Bravely Default
World of Tanks: Xbox 360 Edition
The Last of Us: Left Behind
Strider
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
Thief
Resident Evil 4: Ultimate HD Edition
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky
Dark Souls II
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
Tropico 5
Watch Dogs
Mario Kart 8
Shovel Knight
Ultra Street Fighter IV

I had a lot of fun with Metal Gear Rising, South Park and Shovel Knight, to name a few, but I prefer 2004's lineup, even though there were also less games released.

sgjackson

the only game that will come remotely close to wow's effect on me is mario kart 8 so 2004 kinda wins by default for me

DJIzana

For 2004 specifically? Yes. I'm enjoying a fair bit of newer games and likely will for the last bit of 2014 too compared to everything you've listed off.

My picks are Bravely Default, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Destiny, Toad Treasure Tracker, Smash Bros (both 3DS and Wii U versions) and Assassin's Creed Unity.

I scoured the list to make sure of titles that came out from 2004 and couldn't really find anything memorable. :S

No. I still play PS2 games from that period too. Some have aged poorly (Psi-Ops, Concrete Jungle) but I'd say games were better then.

There was a plethora of B-titles back then.

Josh7289

Hell yes. Speaking generally for this generation, I feel that Nintendo is at a creative zenith right now (hopefully not to end) while 10 years ago they were at one of their most uninteresting moments in my opinion.

2004 was a real banner year, so no no matter how good this year shakes out (but some can and will make decently convincing arguments.)

Now, if you'd asked me the same question much of the last 7 years, HELL NO.

edit: You forgot Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. I change my vote to HELL NO for 2014, too.

Kazerei

Banned
I love how Tales of Symphonia is on both lists. And Resident Evil 4 was released January 2005, so close.

Those 2004 games are timeless classics, still amazing 10 years later.

Edit: I think OP should add Pikmin 2 and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door to the 2004 list

Hell yes. Speaking generally for this generation, I feel that Nintendo is at a creative zenith right now (hopefully not to end) while 10 years ago they were at one of their most interesting moments in my opinion.

Nintendo's software quality has in many ways never been better, with best-of-franchise contenders on what seems like a regular basis when you consider both the 3DS and Wii U. But 2004 was anomalously stacked. On the GameCube alone we had Paper Mario: TTYD, Pikmin 2, Viewtiful Joe 2, and Tales of Symphonia.

JoJoSono

Banned
2004 has Metal Gear Solid 3 so no. Nothing beats that game.

Also in 04:

Ace Combat 5, Dead or Alive Ultimate, Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Neo Contra, Digital Devil Saga, Silent Hill 4, Onimusha 3, and Gungrave: Overdose.

Salty Hippo

No, but 2014 was a terrible year and 2004 is one of the best in history. Not the best parameter to compare today's games with the games of yore.

Ask me again next year.

2014 >>> 2004.

Thanks to MK8, Diablo III, Hearthstone and The Last of Us. We also have Bayonetta 2, Fantasy Life and SSB4 coming so there's really no contest.

Add the fact that the 2014 versions of NHL, NBA 2K and FIFA trumps their 2004 counterparts (yes, NFL 2k5 > Madden 25 which is a damn shame).

2015 is looking like it'll become a "classic" year looking back, so many big amazing releases coming up.
I thought the same about 2014 with Dark Souls 2, Destiny, Watch_Dogs and Witcher 3. 3 of those games turned out to be mediocre for me and the fourth got delayed. We'll see, we'll see.

Many games today are technologically superior to 2004 games, but in many cases, the gameplay mechanics, interfaces, and design philosophies have stagnated.

Though the medium is in its infancy and things are evolving at a rapid rate, I still don't think you can really call one era "better" instead of just different. Plus, the early-mid 2000s is probably the beginning of whatever era we're currently in so 2004 games hardly seem prehistoric or anything.

2004 was better. Metal Gear Solid 3 is life.

Skeyser

2014 >>> 2004.

Thanks to MK8, Diablo III, Hearthstone and The Last of Us. We also have Bayonetta 2, Fantasy Life and SSB4 coming so there's really no contest.

Add the fact that the 2014 versions of NHL, NBA 2K and FIFA trumps their 2004 counterparts (yes, NFL 2k5 > Madden 25 which is a damn shame).

Even including those non 2014 games you listed, its not even close.

yuraya

Not really possible to top Half Life 2 and Snake Eater. At least not until next year when Half Life 3 and Phantom Pain come out.

Nvzman

2004 also had Spider-Man 2, one of the only few good movie to game adaptions.
If 2014 got MGSV: The Phantom Pain I'd gladly consider it better.

mrpookles

I'm in the 'games are better now in general' camp, but 2004 was a great year, whilst this year in isolation has been a fraction disappointing so far.

zoozilla

2004 is probably one of the greatest years in modern gaming, along with 2007.

So many games we still think of as 'classics' came out that year.

I mean, come on - Half-Life 2, MGS 3 and World of Warcraft in the same year, not to mention Chronicles of Riddick blowing away everyone's perceptions of what a movie tie-in game could be.

Jørdan

cB7yBAi.jpg

No.

Some very good games this year yet 2004 snatches it overall and I think those releases from the decade before will stay with us longer.

Dahbomb

Almost half of those 2014 games are remastered/re-releases.

2004 wins so easily it's not even close.

Ninja Gaiden - A seminal entry into the 3D action genre. Up until this point DMC1 was the uncontested action game king but NG challenged that hard.

GTA: SA - IMO probably the best GTA there is and that is something. The content and scope is ridiculous in this game.

World of Warcraft - The defining MMO of our time. One of the most influential games made of all time. Period.

Halo 2 - A solid sequel to one of the best console shooters ever made. Halo 2 made great strides in the online gaming infrastructure of console games with its MM system making it a very important title in the history of games. This was also the game that started the whole AAA style of marketing for better or for worse.

Metal Gear Solid 3 - A godlike entry into the already excellent MGS series. For many people MGS3 is their favorite MGS game. It's easily one of the best PS2 games made.

Metroid Prime 2 - While not as good as MP1, this was still a very good sequel all around and one of the best GCN games IMO still.

Half Life 2 - Enough fucking said.

You also forgot to mention Dawn of War, a great RTS introduced for the 40K series. In addition, no mention of Chronicle of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay.

2014 is only better than 2004 if you are Nintendo only fan.

Toa TAK

Banned
Halo 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 were in 2004?

Yeah nothing in 2014 touches those 2 titles for me.

Sums it up for me. Plus Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, of course.

Even with the MCC, as amazing and thankful I am for that to even exist, 2004 was better overall.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Unfair comparison. It should be 2014 and 2002 for the same period in the consoles lifecycles.

1998,2001,2004 were god-like.

2005 wasn't shabby either. So many good games released that year. I still play games from 2005/2006 on the PS2 and they're good.

Top Bottom