• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brickblast U! dev isn´t satisfied with a Nintendolife review.

Hanmik

I just read this review of a Wii-U game called Brickblast U!.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu-eshop/brickblast_u

They gave the game 2/10.

So after I finish reading the review I turn to the comments.. and find this..

Hello I am the Developer of BrickBlast U!. I have posted a response on the NexisGames.com website to this thread.
with a link to this site..

http://www.nexisgames.com/nexis-games-rebuttal-to-nintendolife-review-of-bbu-dev-strikes-back/

Now that I have a stage it is time to let the world how I feel about a few things. First and foremost I would like to respond to the NintendoLife review of BrickBlast U!

NintendoLife

We apologize for not delivering GTA 6 for $3.99, in the future we will do our best to live up to your AAA expectations for an indie game that is currently priced on Nintendo eShop at $0.99 cents. Don’t get me wrong as I have no problem accepting criticism I just feel that this review was more one person’s opinion and doesn’t really represent the gaming communities best interest. You complained about not knowing the items but did you bother to read the Emanuel before posting your review?

While the Nintendo NDA prevents me from disclosing detailed Sales Information I can say that Less than 1% of the people who purchased BBU complained and guess what, the rest enjoyed it and are anxiously awaiting the upcoming Remaster! The truth is I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard “I Take NintendoLife reviews with a grain of salt” or “I am happy I ignored the NintendoLife review and gave this a chance”. Even now if you look on MiiVerse people are defending The Letter against the NL Review that has been labeled unfair by the community you are supposedly protecting. If the community isn’t agreeing with you then who exactly are you doing this for? The truth of the matter is you are doing more harm than good and you are hurting the Wii U community.

By Now I am sure you have heard about a little game I have been working on called “The Dance of the Damned. As you may or may not know BBU! is a Kickstarter for The Dance of the Damned and thanks to the people who ignored your review I have been able to upgrade my PC to one actually capable of Recording and Rendering A demanding game like The Dance of the Damned Simultaneously without lag. I can now record and render games at 1080P 60FPS and new gameplay footage will be uploaded within the next couple of weeks thanks to BBU and Supporters of Nexis Games. People on NL said that The Dance of the Damned wasn’t real; you said that it was just a MiiVerse scam I was running but did you know that it is and has been confirmed with Nintendo since Feb of 2014?

In any event we certainly do not harbor any bad feelings against NL and hopefully in the future we can get on the same page. Something tells us that might happen around the time we release Ball or Nothing, Ride and of course The Dance of the Damned. Best of luck to you all.

this is not how you do things Nexis Games..

sakipon

He only answers one of the problems, that the manual describes the items. I wish he didn't try to change the subject to other gamers and his next game, that's really unnecessary and uninteresting.

Piccoro

Well, he has the right to disagree with the review...

And I remember another eshop dev complaining about the reviews. I think it was for that downloadable game Fit Music for Wii U.

emanuelomeu.jpg

I feel so embarrassed just reading that response.

This is how children handle situations when their emotions are too high, or how people post in drunken stupors on Facebook only to realize in horror how blindingly stupid their entire motivation was.

Did Nintendolife edit the review down?

Developer responses are not unheard of there. Usually a sense of bafflement and disappointment with the end score. The one just seems like a vent in general really.

It is difficult for Nintendo download platforms as many sites don't care and Ninendo life are the only people who try to cover everything so have ended up as the epicentre so they're important, which is not great (I mean if they took more of a stand against 50Hz than a single guest article about 5 years ago we might have reached a better settlement than the current). Yes, there are other places that have come and gone but I can't recall their names and their visibility is a problem too. They have zero presence

As for this game. I stopped reading Nintendo download reviews until a game was out in Europe, too many ruined dreams in WiiWare and nothing has changed.

Vagabundo

2/10, it better be a broken mess.

It reminds me a little of gamespot's 4.5/10 for ZombiU. Silly scores for silly reasons.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Don’t get me wrong as I have no problem accepting criticism I just feel that this review was more one person’s opinion and doesn’t really represent the gaming communities best interest.

What the fuck do you think reviews even are?!

Soodanim

Gold Member
I wish he'd proof read it (or got someone else to) before he posted it. I don't know if English is his first language or not, but it doesn't help your case when it reads like a 14 year old's post.

I'm not a fan of ending game titles with punctuation. It can mess things up when the title is used in a sentence.

Edit: watched Bosman's footage. Oh god. It looks like it was made by a 14 year old. 2/10 seems right, and I haven't even read the review.

GulAtiCa

From what I've seen, this guy has a little issue taking criticism. Esp that issue with Daan Koopman and miiverse claim.

jackal27

Banned
Dude's mad at Nintendolife!? Their review scores are pretty generous! If your game got a 2/10 on Nintendolife, ya done screwed up.

I had a run in like this with a certain DS-centric indie once when we gave 2 of his games poor reviews. I can understand his frustration, especially when you need all the press you can get, but it's not appropriate to handle the situation like this. Fortunately, his newer games have been really quality so I'm glad we were able to give solid scores to those.

The fact that literal shovelware like this or The Letter is actually selling copies cements the fact that there are underserved consumers with WiiUs that apparently the likes of EA are too good to bother making titles for, even on the eshop.

IEdit: watched Bosman's footage. Oh god. It looks like it was made by a 14 year old. 2/10 seems right, and I haven't even read the review.
That isn't Brickblast U. That is the letter...which the brickblast U developer is saying is quality...and Nintendo Life gave that 1/10. The Letter was part of a failed Indiegogo campaign.

Sadly people are buy The Letter in droves to marvel at the awfulness of it.

The fact that literal shovelware like this or The Letter is actually selling copies cements the fact that there are underserved consumers with WiiUs that apparently the likes of EA are too good to bother making titles for, even on the eshop.
An EA game costs millions. I think the letter cost around $200. Completely different sales needed to be worth bothering.

KHlover

Banned
In any event we certainly do not harbor any bad feelings against NL and hopefully in the future we can get on the same page. Something tells us that might happen around the time we release Ball or Nothing, Ride and of course The Dance of the Damned. Best of luck to you all.

Ahahahahahahahaha, that has to be the most thinly veiled threat I've ever seen. Couldn't have made it more obvious if he added "Or else..." after the second sentence. This is so pathethic.

Shame nintendolife isn't a print magazine, I'd give the next two games of that dev one of those 5 line reviews at the end of magazine for having the audacity to write and post that comment. Journalistic integrity stays intact and rude dev learns a lesson :)

ouch... and usually NL scores are quite generous... it means that it isn't a 2/10 game, but maybe a 0/10 or a -1/10 game....

GulAtiCa

I keep mentioning this, but devs really need to learn to take criticism. Use it to help improve your game. Reviews are not out their to get you. They are out there to inform the player of any issues or so with your game. Take the criticism, learn from it.

You put your stuff out there, you have to be prepared to disagree and even be upset with some of the OPINIONS.

You never respond. Take it and move on.

It does nothing but make you sound bitter, immature and leaves gamers less likely to buy your next game.

2/10, it better be a broken mess.

It reminds me a little of gamespot's 4.5/10 for ZombiU. Silly scores for silly reasons.
If you go by that all review scores are silly. To the person that reviewed ZombiU it was a 4.5 it's not like they just fave it that low a score to piss off Nintendo fans.

Top Bottom