• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV TGS 2014 Trailer | Lord Nomura giveth us His only Son so we may live

I really want to stay up for this, but of course work has to get in the way :/ . Hope its good though and that it tides us over until December for Jump Festa :3 .

RaijinFY

So this site has a few new translations of the Famitsu interview.

http://sqex.info/tgs-2014-famitsu-interviews-ffxv-director-hajime-tabata/

Seems FFXV is hogging the Luminous dev team, so obviously KH III's visual problems related to the engine don't seem to be a major priority at all.

And feedback from the XV demo could influence the final game. Strange because in another interview Tabata said that wasn't really the aim of the demo, it's just to show fans what the game will be like.

Which KH3 visual problems??

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Stuff like character choice can still make it to the final game *fingers crossed*

I don't think that's a so easy-decision to make toward the end of the production (march 2015). I mean switching characters imply re-doing animations, changing the battle system and how AI reacts to these changes, limiting teleports to one out of four characters will also create unbalance among the party ect. Basically you're going to change the game greatly with something apparently so simple. If they decided party change would not exist, it will never be there, whining or not.

As for me, I don't care for party chang in aRPGs. I usually prefer to control one only character to get more into it like in most wRPGs or the same Kingdom hearts series.

Perfo

They said it won't take long to release after the demo.
I'm thinking it'll be similar to FFXIII (demo in April '09, release the same December).

They're definitely not going to skip christmas at least in japan. December is a given at this point considering the timing release of the DEMO. As for the west, probably it'll be released on January.

Dark_castle

They said it won't take long to release after the demo.
I'm thinking it'll be similar to FFXIII (demo in April '09, release the same December).

I heard that Tabata actually listened to feedback to Type-0 demo and delayed the final release to tweak some features. Maybe if XV demo was met with unsatisfactory response, he wouldn't hesitate to delay the release to make some changes.

Perfo

I heard that Tabata actually listened to feedback to Type-0 demo and delayed the final release to tweak some features. Maybe if XV demo was met with unsatisfactory response, he wouldn't hesitate to delay the release to make some changes.

Yeah let's delay it for some more 6 or 12 months. Who cares if this comes out after FFXVI! For "fans" feedback, as if focus groups already didn't trouble the dev. of the XIII trilogy already. Let the developers make their own game please, not yours.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yeah let's delay it for some more 6 or 12 months. Who cares if this comes out after FFXVI! For "fans" feedback, as if focus groups already didn't trouble the dev. of the XIII trilogy already. Let the developers make their own game please, not yours.
I actually agree with Perfo here.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
No wonder XIII-2 and LR:FFXIII felt like fanfictions.

Dark_castle

You think FFXVI will come out 6 or 12 months after FFXV?

Let them delay for another 6 or 12 months if very substantial improvements could be made to the game. It's not like these games could be updated with patches like the MMOs, you have to make it right in one release.

Completely revamping the battle system to something else altogether is not improvements, it's wanting it to be something else entirely.

Does anyone seriously believe it's as simple as just changing the battle system? Level design, encounter design,boss design, systems and feature customization options...

The best battle systems have always married an excellent core system with everything else that makes the game into one complete package.

Dark_castle

Completely revamping the battle system to something else altogether is not improvements, it's wanting it to be something else enti rely.

Does anyone seriously believe it's as simple as just changing the battle system? Level design, encounter design,boss design, systems and feature customization options...

The best battle systems have always married an excellent core system with everything else that makes the game into one complete package.

Don't get me wrong, I WANT Square Enix, or specifically current FFXV team to do what they wanted based on Nomura's Versus XIII vision or new ideas to the gameplay to add FF flavors to the system. But if for example there are serious balance issues or exploits or bugs or design flaws (like really poor enemy/party AI or weak camera control or unresponsive controls), the game should be delayed to fix all these. If time permits, add in options to various things, for instance mashing button rather than holding the button.

Famassu

Except this doesn't seem like a case where the developers got to do their own thing. It was obvioulsy supposed to give player more agency when Nomura was still the director but it seems like he was forced to think about the more casual fans of FF or whatever and they simplified his vision into a semi-automated single-character action RPG.

Completely revamping the battle system to something else altogether is not improvements, it's wanting it to be something else entirely.

I don't think the game would need to see any drastic changes. The combat is already built around team-work and I'm not sure if it would really be all that hard to give player control of the doings of the other characters. I mean, the varied attack animations are already there, the walking, running, evasion & other moves have to be there and balanced against the enemies. The other characters already have character-specific special moves (i.e. Gladiolus using a big sword to knock down one of those bison-like animals) and even if the player doesn't control the other characters they still need to have some kind of character development system for them and they won't just be static as far as gaining exp., levels & new skills as you progress through the game goes (like Donald & Goofy aren't in KH).

The game was always kind of supposed to be balanced around Noctis, so it really wouldn't be all that hard or majorly game changing to just give some support roles that the player has control over (support roles these characters already have, even if AI controlled). These support roles shouldn't even have to be completely exclusive to the characters, maybe they could just do them a bit more efficiently (so Gladiolus could break the shielding layer of an enemy with 1-2 hits while for Noctis it takes 6-7, Prompto could hit airborne enemies more accurately while Noctis would have to take a few more bullets to hit one and drop it to the ground etc.). I don't want the game to be like every character has the depth to carry the game in itself. I'm not expecting Prompto gameplay to have as much depth as Vanquish, Gladiolus feeling like I'm playing a Berserk game when using big swords or God Hand when using fists, Ignis being some Bushido Blade mode or anything and I wouldn't even mind if the game is REALLY focused around Noctis (i.e. in the end I played 80% of the game controlling Noctis), just give me control over all the (five or so) characters when I feel like, even if most of the characters are simpler than Noctis. There would also be some extremely simple ways of adding some differentiation to the characters (in addition to different weapons). Different elementals being tied to different characters and things like that. Balancing enemies around, say, a slow heavy weapon user like Gladiolus wouldn't be hard because they should already be balanced for those kinds of attacks because Noctis can use them too.

Level design wouldn't need to change because it already needs to take into account the characters who can't zero-shift around. Customization needs to be there as well, even with AI characters. Gladiolus can't be swinging the same sword throughout the game.

Dark_castle

Yeah, I think it's unanimous that giving us the option to control other party members directly is something nobody would object. You could still play as Noctis for the most part, but you can play in TPS mode with Prompto if you so desire, or perform some hardcore Sabin wrestling moves shit with Gladiolus or dual dagger/Katana Ignis.

It adds a lot of gameplay variety, so unless Tabata really had a whole slew of battle mechanics that's meaty and fun yet to be revealed, it'd be an unfortunate downgrade.

Koozek

+1

EDIT: Though, I'd say that it's okay to use some feedback on smaller things, like HUD or button layout, etc., but not on elemental mechanics like the battle system. You can't change that a few months before release without breaking the game's balance. Don't expect the demo to make them change back to more a more floaty KH battle system. I'll just trust their vision ;)

Setsu00

I agree. I'm still salty though that they probably didn't let Nomura make the game the way he wanted it to be.

quesalupa

So, it happened? What are the conclusions about it? Where are the videos, where are the impressions? o_O
This is duckroll's analysis from the stream thread.

What we've learned about the battle system today:

- There's at least an attack button, a defend button, a skill button, and a jump button.
- Holding defend to evade drains MP, doesn't last forever.
- The attack button is used for basic combos, weapons used are context driven based on equipped weapons and context settings the player selects.
- The skill button is used to do special attacks for the main weapon equipped.
- There will be advanced evasion and attack techniques depending on equipment and control input.
- You can use the sword barrier defensively in battle, you can do short warps in the battlefield, you can parry attacks.
- There will be lots of tactical aspects in battle for core games, like elemental weaknesses and so on.
- Noctis is the only playable character, but his unique combat style and how the party interacts with him in battles is what drives the entire battle system.

Kssio_Aug

This is duckroll's analysis from the stream thread.

What we've learned about the battle system today:

- There's at least an attack button, a defend button, a skill button, and a jump button.
- Holding defend to evade drains MP, doesn't last forever.
- The attack button is used for basic combos, weapons used are context driven based on equipped weapons and context settings the player selects.
- The skill button is used to do special attacks for the main weapon equipped.
- There will be advanced evasion and attack techniques depending on equipment and control input.
- You can use the sword barrier defensively in battle, you can do short warps in the battlefield, you can parry attacks.
- There will be lots of tactical aspects in battle for core games, like elemental weaknesses and so on.
- Noctis is the only playable character, but his unique combat style and how the party interacts with him in battles is what drives the entire battle system.

Yup! Thanks! Just saw the other thread! =P

Dark_castle

Interesting bump. TGS 2014 trailer was the start of the series of Duscae-related content promotions for FFXV with little exceptions. Today we can finally move on.

wmlk

The collective reaction to the bump:

image.php

EDIT: When avatar quotes go wrong.

Top Bottom