• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft delays Xbox One launch in China

Kayant

Update -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gamers in China hoping to get their hands on the Xbox One will have to wait a little longer than expected.

Microsoft announced late Friday that “despite strong and steady progress, we are going to need more a bit more time to deliver the best experiences possible for our fans in China.”

“At Xbox, we pride ourselves on delivering first rate gaming and entertainment experiences and to allow us to deliver on that promise we need to reschedule the launch of Xbox One,” Microsoft said in a statement. “Working with our partner, BesTV, we look forward to launching in China by the end of this year.”

Microsoft wouldn’t comment on a reason for the delay. The original release in China was slated for Sept. 23.

Via - http://www.geekwire.com/2014/microsoft-delays-china-launch-xbox-one/

Localise content if old.

And I still think thats a totally bad idea. I mean the price of the console and the games is the same as in the US, while they already need a 1 month salary just to buy the console alone.

Sorry, but "no one" will buy it, if they wont change the price of the console and the games...

And I still think thats a totally bad idea. I mean the price of the console and the games is the same as in the US, while they already need a 1 month salary just to buy the console alone.

Sorry, but "no one" will buy it, if they wont change the price of the console and the games...

out of curiosity, how much is PS4 there?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Really odd thing to do just a couple of days before launch.

Perhaps they've seen the Destiny week figures, thought they could pick up the slack with China, realised that's not an option, and are now going to stuff the channels in the USA in order to: a) suddenly find form or b) get a decent 'sold' figure to take to their shareholders and offer to the press for misinterpretation.

stryke

I remember Sony announced they were releasing PS4 in China soon, so I thought it was or already released there or Sony already announced its MSRP

Nope, all we know is that they're working with Shanghai Oriental Pearl Culture Development for local release. No other details.

Striek

Doubt it was going to be an important launch if they're comfortable delaying it 3 days before its supposed launch.

Probably because the Chinese games and apps are not yet ready. They were planning to launch with a pack-in free to play game, right? The console launch would be even more difficult without local content.

gconsole

Do u know not everyone has the same income right?

Shin-Ra

Probably because the Chinese games and apps are not yet ready. They were planning to launch with a pack-in free to play game, right? The console launch would be even more difficult without local content.
They realised this three days before launch?

Do u know not everyone has the same income right?

You should price a console to the average income there though.

Sorry, here in Germany the average income is about 2000€ after taxes. A 400€ console is "nothing".
In China where the average is about 4000-6000 RMB, even in big cities, a 4000 RMB console would already use up a 1 month salary.

I can tell you that most Chinese, not being console gamers, would rather buy a PC and download the games than to buy a Xbox One. Thats at least the reception I can see from chinese gaming forums. I dont really see much people interested in the Xbox One. It reminds me of the Xbox reception in Japan.

he probably does not know that BMW sells more cars in China than in the USA....

I work in China and can speak Mandarin fluently, so of course i know that. And german cars here are more expensive than in europe, but built worse.
And cars there are, like in the 60/70s in europe a "status symbol".
They save years just to buy a BMW and they dont want to replace it at all in the future.

I think a console is not one and considering the prices of games will be the same as in the US, I am sure the market is far too small to make good money.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
“At Xbox, we pride ourselves on delivering first rate gaming and entertainment experiences and to allow us to deliver on that promise we need to reschedule the launch of Xbox One,” Microsoft said in a statement. “Working with our partner, BesTV, we look forward to launching in China by the end of this year.”

Shame they don't pride themselves on being able to plan a launch properly

QuartKat

Banned

Its nice to learn everyones salary in china is $600

Thanks Chairmanchuck and Neogaf for teaching us stupid americans how it be in other parts of the world!!!

/sarcasm

pesda

Banned
Honest question. Why do they even bother? Wouldn't it be smarter to just capture the North American audience? I'm no rocket scientist, but I would think the xbox would sell like shit in Asia.
or anywhere else that doesn't have 56 states

Percy

Banned
This console's launch has been pretty disastrous everywhere else, might as well continue the tradition I guess.

Its nice to learn everyones salary in china is $600

Thanks Chairmanchuck and Neogaf for teaching us stupid americans how it be in other parts of the world!!!

/sarcasm

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2012-07/06/content_15555503.htm

4672 average Salary in Beijing. I never said "everyone" is earning that much, but the average is like that.
And especially people interested in consoles and gaming are young, so during university they earn almost nothing and after graduation university students start with about 4000-6000, depending on the job of course.

Im just saying MS should at least lower the price of the console and games, otherwise they will fail in a market, thats not that interested in consoles. I would even say the PS4 has more chances thanks to PS+ and the free games they offer thanks to that.

Honest question. Why do they even bother? Wouldn't it be smarter to just capture the North American audience? I'm no rocket scientist, but I would think the xbox would sell like shit in Asia.

I also wonder that. In most chinese gaming forums people arent really excited about the Xbox One. Most people are playing pirated PC-games or F2P games like LoL, Dota2 and the likes.

Shame they don't pride themselves on being able to plan a launch properly

Perhaps it wasn't their fault? Maybe they are waiting on BesTv?

MilesTeg

Banned

4672 average Salary in Beijing. I never said "everyone" is earning that much, but the average is like that.
And especially people interested in consoles and gaming are young, so during university they earn almost nothing and after graduation university students start with about 4000-6000, depending on the job of course.

Im just saying MS should at least lower the price of the console and games, otherwise they will fail in a market, thats not that interested in consoles. I would even say the PS4 has more chances thanks to PS+ and the free games they offer thanks to that.

I thought that the games are indeed going to be significantly cheaper, hence the reason for region locking the Chinese Xbox One. So that people can't import the games at significantly reduced cost.

stryke

It's because they see companies like Apple who sell a lot of their iphones there and are trying to target that same population with high expendable income.

I thought that the games are indeed going to be significantly cheaper, hence the reason for region locking the Chinese Xbox One. So that people can't import the games at significantly reduced cost.

From what I can see here, not sure if its true, they are aiming for 350-400 RMB for the games, so that wouldnt be far cheaper. But maybe my info is outdated. That could be.

It's because they see companies like Apple who sell a lot of their iphones there and are trying to target that same population with high expendable income.

I think they would need to market the Xbox One as some kind of lifestyle product. I think the market of smartphones and "just a console" though is a total different market. People who like games would want to buy the Xbox One, not the average 14-30 year old Chinese.

SgtCobra

That's pretty stupid of them then, the phone market is much bigger there than the console market will ever be.

Wait, 3 days before launch they delay it? Stores should have had shipments by now.....

That's crazy, I just try to think of that happening in the states...

blakep267

I also wonder that. In most chinese gaming forums people arent really excited about the Xbox One. Most people are playing pirated PC-games or F2P games like LoL, Dota2 and the likes.

The console isn't really that expensive. It's $600 and it comes with 4 games and a 6 month subscription for live

And each game would be $16-40 which is still fairly low. And they do have f2p Chinese games on it

Freeman

Banned
They need to come up with the next thing to write on the chalkboard before allowing China to be crossed out.

It's almost like they just spent a huge amount of money recently and need a little while to readjust their budget when taking on something from a risky market.

All that Chinese economic knowledge in this thread. Some one should tweet it at Phill Spencer so he can forward to Microsofts finance division.
/s

Top Bottom