• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 has around 17M Gold subscribers.

Saty

So, RPS had an interview with Wargaming.net CEO at Gamescom this year. A part of it was posted: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...-on-wargaming-in-a-single-breath/#more-235303

He had this to say regarding World of Tanks on the 360:
So anyway we found that we cooperated very well, we managed to find solutions to these challenges and yes in February we released free-to-play, and it was good, it’s making money, and we’re delighted. Of course the biggest constraint would be the limited amount of Gold subscribers. Of course we have to respect that rule of Microsoft; there’s only something around 17 million Gold subscribers to that, so that’s a limitation but anyway this experiment was good, results were good, and we’re thinking what to do next

SerTapTap

So about 1 in 7? Thought it would have been higher.

Yeah isn't it like half of PS4 on PS+? Then again I guess a lot of those 360s are idle these days, and those PS4s are in early adopter homes. Xbone probably has a great Gold attach rate as well but of course far lower absolute numbers.

xray49er

I had 4 gold subscriptions. but now with the xone I only need 1 for the whole family. so that is 3 lost. I wonder how many other people are in the same boat.

Ban Puncher

Had Gold since XBL first launched on the OG Xbox but finally let it lapse this year.

Will consider rejoining if I ever pick up an Xbone.

Anung

Un Rama
I had Gold for over 6 years but let it drop over a year ago as with the rise of PS+ I was getting bitter with how much of a rip off it was. Vowed to never go back.

Gestault

I wonder what the effect of not having to have gold for Netflix had on their number.

If I'm any indication, I legitimately let mine lapse until they changed that policy. That's one of the times where principle won out over what I'd theoretically have wanted out of my entertainment.

androvsky

This! I could have sworn I've read that somewhere.
As I recall, the 40 million number was for Live accounts and many just assumed it meant Gold. But since I've seen quotes that nearly half the 360s didn't have unique online accounts at all (one account on multiple systems probably explains a fair chunk of that), these all sound about right.

Didnt they say they have 40 million gold users a few years ago?

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-brief/60687-xbox-live-users-topple-40-million

Ballmer said that of those 66 million Xbox 360 consoles, there are 40 million users who have signed up for an online Xbox Live account. That's a pretty good connectivity rate.

Of course, in order to do simple things like play online games and stream Netflix videos, users need to pay for a premium Xbox Live Gold membership. Ballmer did not say how many active Gold members there are.

Was he allowed to reveal that? MS has never officially revealed how many Gold subscribers they have, only how many Live accounts...

Nice to have an official number. Slightly lower than what I expected ( 25mil), but about there, I guess.

Seems low, but then I realize some friends and myself stopped subscribing and now within my circle of friends there's a bunch of us who own 360's and only one with a gold subscription (though he only plays on his One now). I assume this could be the same for lot of people. 360 is dying so subscriptions for accounts on those 360's are decreasing. A lot of people have shifted to Playstation as well.

I also would have thought that number would have been higher.

I used to see the value in Gold until I got a PS3, then I began to resent it and eventually let my Gold laspe earlier this year after I finished Dark Souls II then I got rid of my 360.

I would have expected 30mil or so. Surprising but I doubt the 80mil sold meant 80 mil active consoles anyway. Still that's a lot of money. Anyone know what the current ps plus is?

lantus

I've always been very interested to see what the peak number of concurrent gold users was and what it is now. Microsoft doesn't tout those numbers anymore, presumably because people wised up to their crap offerings they had for so long. There's no going back for me now, PS Plus is just too good to me.

jelly

Didnt they say they have 40 million gold users a few years ago?

They don't really discuss the split that much but from the nuggets here and there, it was about 60% in 2008, 56% in 2009, less than 50% in 2010. Talk of 12 out of 35 million in 2011, 35%.

Expected it to be higher, half of the PS4 installbase has PS+, and that's PS3 or Vita owners who don't have PS4 but subscribe excluded.

With only 40-ish million Live Accounts ( Gold+Silver), the realistic assumption would be around 50-60% of it being Gold, with similar splits for PS+ right now for PS4.

Any reasonable guess for Gold was always around the 20 million mark.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I wonder if the number of subscribers is dropping because the normal price of a Live subscription has gone up in recent years and the number of sales seems to be dwindling lately.

Jomjom

Banned
I bet the 17 mil is still much MUCH higher than PS+ memberships though.

I'm thinking PS+ membership is probably less than 5 mil.

SerTapTap

I bet the 17 mil is still much MUCH higher than PS+ memberships though.

I'm thinking PS+ membership is probably less than 5 mil.

Assuming half of PS4 owners still have it, there should be more than that just from PS4s. Wouldn't be surprised if it's lower than Gold, but I doubt it's that low.

TomShoe

Banned
Assuming half of PS4 owners still have it, there should be more than that just from PS4s. Wouldn't be surprised if it's lower than Gold, but I doubt it's that low.

Probably a bit higher, if you include people that have a subscription but either own a PS3/Vita.

Which makes the claim that Xbox causes Microsoft over a billion losses every year all the more crazy.

How much they're making off Xbox Live Gold doesn't change how much they're spending on Xbox. None of us know, really, but apparently whatever they've been doing for Xbox One offset their profit margins by $400m, so it's probably a pretty huge amount that could very well eclipse their earnings.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I had Gold for a couple years in the earlier days of the 360 but didn't see the value in it considering how little I play games online so stopped. However now that they're giving games away every month with Gold ala PS Plus I'll be subbing once I get an Xbox One.

Top Bottom