• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best game to show a first date?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using OKCupid a bit lately, and I just got a date with a really cute girl lined up. We've sent several messages back and forth and chatted over the phone once. She plays Candy Crush Saga and Words with Friends on her iPhone, and she said she liked Super Mario World back in the day, so it looks like she´s kind of a gamer.

So on Friday we´re going to a bar in the neighborhood. She said she wants to see the puppy I have in one of my profile pics (I got a puppy like two months ago), so we´re going to come back to my apartment after the bar.

While I have her there, it´s probably the perfect opportunity to show her how far gaming has come since Super Mario World. What would be a good game for this? Originally I thought The Last of Us, but she doesn´t like zombies (she told me she gets scared by The Walking Dead), so that one is probably out, even though it´s probably the highest achievement we´ve seen in the art. So what else might work?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Super Mario 3D World is the only logical answer.

Journey

Edit: I assume you're going to let her play. That would be wise if you're going to go through with it at all. But you could just let her play with the puppy.

urfe

Unless asked multiple times by said date, I probably wouldn't show a first date any video game.

(But it's rare I get first dates to my apartment. :) )

I'd go with Mario Galaxy or Galaxy 2, if you have a Wii U maybe 3D world but I personally found Galaxy 1 and 2 to be much more of an achievement then 3D world.

Darklord

Banned
Wait, so you have a date set up with plans to go back to your apartment and...you want to show her video games?

john-cena-omg-o.gif

Relique

I don't think she sounds like "kind of a gamer." I'd stay away from showing her any games entirely. But if you must, play on the nostalgia factor and show her the new super mario game.

jem0208

You don't.

Just don't try and show her games.

Really.

Wait, you have pre made plans to go back to yours... And you want to show her your video game collection...?

I'd say leisure suit Larry. Show her a real dating Sim. After all that's how life works in the that game.

Seriously enjoy your time, don't worry about gaming on your first date. Sip some brews and get comfy and let her bring it up , more than likely she won't.

Chev

Maybe that's just me but I think a gaming session on the first date isn't a good idea. In fact I think it's a bad idea.

That being said, if you want to your better choice is something co-op, either with an actual co-op mode or something zelda-like or open world where you can run around and do stuff while she can tell you what to do.

RMI

Banned
Pick a fun game that's not about crushing people's heads with bricks and 2x4s.

How about Mario Kart 8?

Or maybe don't play any games at all.

Scott667

Just think of any fun multiplayer game that can be enjoyed in short bursts by beginners. Mario Kart, Bomberman, stuff like that. You want to both be playing together, so something that is more single player focused may not be a good idea.

first date coming back to your place, alone...and your first thought is to immediately run to NeoGAF and ask what games to impress her with...

iGaEKVO4X12iJ.gif

Zaku

Ultra Street Fighter IV. Pick your main and body her completely. Post-round, maintain eye contact to establish dominance.

Serious answer: Mario. Super Mario 3D World or New Super Mario Bros U would be good choices, if she said she played SMB when she was a kid. If she has fun with those, pick a relatively new (within the last gen, AAA budget) artsy game to show how far games have come as a medium, like The Last of Us or something. Move on from there if she's still interested.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Ride To Hell Retribution.

And then afterwards you can curly up, share some Twinkies and watch Foodfight! together.

(this so far has had a 0% failure rate)

While I have her there, it´s probably the perfect opportunity to show her how far gaming has come since Super Mario World.

It actually sounds like the worst opportunity for this I've ever thought of. You really should consider establish a relationship before doing this.

OP if you absolutely must, a fun multiplayer party game. Something like Mario Kart. Something that will be fun to play while drunk and will make some laughs. Something accessible and easy to pick up and play.

But yeah. She's coming to your spot after a night out and you wanna show her your vidya.
you dense motherfucker.

turnbuckle

She sounds like your average person, not a gamer. Not a latent gamer. I...wouldn't show her any games on a first date...unless she brings it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom