• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

strafer

Oh great, a
Medical Area

Nothing will surely go wrong here. But man does this area look good.

This will do for tonight. Will move forward tomorrow.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
As someone who loved Alien, Aliens and Prometheus, but hasn't really played any alien games, how likely am I to love this game?

Trying to hold off buying it until I finish Shadow of Mordor and Metro, but not sure that I can.

Lime

As someone who loved Alien, Aliens and Prometheus, but hasn't really played any alien games, how likely am I to love this game?

Trying to hold off buying it until I finish Shadow of Mordor and Metro, but not sure that I can.

This is the best Alien game that has ever been made. It relies primarily on the aesthetics and atmosphere of the first Alien film with very similar pacing and tone, as well as the approach to the monster. The love and detail going into the level design and the enemies, along with plenty of callbacks to the original film really show how much Creative Assembly have cared about the universe and the values in the original Alien. Moreover, the mechanics and gameplay similarly don't rely on action at all to interest the player, but instead they methodically lure you into its setting and atmosphere with some amazing sound design.

It is currently my GOTY and it's one of the best gaming experiences I've had in years.

EDIT: Like someone on CA's forum wrote yesterday:

Bravo Creative Assembly, Bravo.
Well, you've done what many thought impossible. You've created an instalment in the franchise that stands as arguably better than any of the film sequels. I mean sure, Aliens was great, but it wasn't exactly a tonal masterpiece, rather a solid popcorn action flick with an interesting expansion on the Xenomorph life cycle. Everything about Alien: Isolation (so far - been playing it for 2 day but still haven't finished it yet) is just perfect. The alien is convincing and terrifying, the game mechanics are all extremely fine tuned, and it's mind boggling that it has taken an art style heavily rooted in the late seventies to show just what the new gen of consoles are capable of visually. The music and sound design are utterly breathtaking. In summary: Thank you, Creative Assembly, for finally giving a film masterpiece the game that it deserves. If you don't rack up the awards for this then there is just no justice in the world.

This echoes my sentiments about the game as well.

bitoriginal

Well shit. I'm a big fan of all things Alien but when I first started playing this, I didn't really get it. It didn't click. I tried doing the Crew Expendable first and got annoyed with it, and the hideous facial animation and stuttering cut scenes at the beginning of the main game kinda put me off. Until I listened to GAF, rewatched Alien and wore some headphones.

As soon as I put my headphones on, everything changed. The sound design and audio in this game is second to none, and so important to being a survivor. Being able to hear every little sound and footstep just enhances the experience tenfold, and feels essential. You even can hear your shoes squeak as you pivot, hear the pipes rattle and vents blast out air. Every desolate noise on Sevestapol serves a purpose. When it came to escaping a group of human NPCs, it was made much more realistic and intense just listening to them talk to each other as a I hid.

Exploring the ship is tense, interesting and intriguing. The aesthetics are lovingly crafted and really capture the vibe of the film. The beginning of the game really eases you into the mechanics and I'm now nearing the infamous medical bay section. Overall, for anyone on the fence, I'd say jump in because you really do have a great experience waiting for you.

GAF, despite the imperfections, I think this shit might just be one of the boldest games I've played in a long, long time. I'm so glad that this game exists, and it may just be the best Alien game ever.

s_mirage

Ran into an amusing bug earlier: managed to accidentally set myself on fire but didn't die. The fire didn't go out though, even after reloading from death. It made illumination in the ducts easier although Ripley's perpetually burning hands made using the motion tracker somewhat awkward.

komplanen

Finally finished the game.

The atmosphere, environmental design and sounds make the game really good in the start but in the end I can totally 100% understand how some people gave this low scores. The game overstays its welcome and in the end all I really see it for is good horror game for four to six hours than then slowly turns into just a bad game.

-
Too much rubberface stealth scenes
-
Too much repeating of scenarios. "Get to point B while Xenomorph patrols around you" gradually loses any tension
-
Story is too spread out
-
One-hit-kill enemies get boring when you're attempting to complete a goal for the tenth time

Started out as a solid 4/5 but I ended my experience in the group of people that would maybe give a 2/5. Final half of the game really did me in.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
DO NOT PLAY THE DLC FIRST, YOU WILL NOT ENJOY YOURSELF

I don't know how this idea seeped into the discussion surrounding this game, but please save yourself the anguish and let the actual game teach you how to play properly

It's you suffocating. To leave that, you have to let go of both rmb and s. When it's safe ofcourse.

Oh alright... have to release both... thanks.

first and got annoyed with it, and the hideous facial animation and stuttering cut scenes at the beginning of the main game kinda put me off. Until I listened to GAF, rewatched Alien and wore some headphones.

As soon as I put my headphones on, everything changed. The sound design and audio in this game is second to none, and so important to being a survivor. Being able to hear every little sound and footstep just enhances the experience tenfold, and feels essential. You even can hear your shoes squeak as you pivot, hear the pipes rattle and vents blast out air. Every desolate noise on Sevestapol serves a purpose. When it came to escaping a group of human NPCs, it was made much more realistic and intense just listening to them talk to each other as a I hid.

Exploring the ship is tense, interesting and intriguing. The aesthetics are lovingly crafted and really capture the vibe of the film. The beginning of the game really eases you into the mechanics and I'm now nearing the infamous medical bay section. Overall, for anyone on the fence, I'd say jump in because you really do have a great experience waiting for you.

GAF, despite the imperfections, I think this shit might just be one of the boldest games I've played in a long, long time. I'm so glad that this game exists, and it may just be the best Alien game ever.

I just took my headphones for granted since I always play FPS with headphones on.

The scariest fucking thing in this game is when you're running from the alien who knows you're there and he is making a shit ton of banging noises as he sprints at full speed. You make it around the corner and he doesn't slow, you hide under a table but it is way too late and you're fucked and for a split second you maybe think you got away and rawr, he knew exactly where you were.

I actually screamed once, I was that into the experience... lol.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't the DLC just the movie ending but in playable form?

the problem isn't overt story spoilers (although arguably it does kind of kill the gradual build up and pay-off the first time you have to avoid the Xeno), it's more of a mechanical concern. It throws you into the deep end with no context or training. It feels unfair and there's no emotional climax.

I mean, if you really want to, by all means. But ready yourself for tedium. :)

DAMMMMMIITT! It got the jump on me from a damn vent.

and I feel the Joes ruin the game a little bit. Why must they be hostile.

Many of them aren't! I spent a good fifteen minutes carefully avoiding a few in Chapter 10 only to realise they were completely friendly, just going about their business checking things.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I really want to enjoy this game, but I'm literally at the first point in the game where there are roaming enemies and I find it needlessly, pointlessly frustrating. I've died about five times on the first room (where you pick up the Security Tuner) and I'm really rapidly losing interest in progressing.

Krejlooc

Banned
I really want to enjoy this game, but I'm literally at the first point in the game where there are roaming enemies and I find it needlessly, pointlessly frustrating. I've died about five times on the first room (where you pick up the Security Tuner) and I'm really rapidly losing interest in progressing.

It gets much, much better and far less rigid when the alien shows up. Those early segments are indeed frustrating, though.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It gets much, much better and far less rigid when the alien shows up. Those early segments are indeed frustrating, though.

I mean they can see you from across the entire room (and it's a big room) and kill you with pinpoint accuracy in two or three shots. I tried distracting them with flares and stuff but it still didn't work.

I am rapidly beginning to see why reviewers complained about the AI.

The cutscenes run perfectly smooth for me. Although the game itself is very choppy in 1080p, but smooth in 720p. No visual bugs.

I'm at the start of mission 10. Still very much enjoying everything about it. I'm finding the difficulty to be just right on medium. There's enough variability in the Alien's behaviour that it is difficult to get stuck on any one area since slightly different things happen every time.

I think the Joes are good. I like how you don't know if they are hostile or not - good thing they didn't put in a hostile/friendly indicator. Seems like as with most other things in this game, that was a choice made to help heighten tension.

DukeBobby

Yeah, the first real encounter with the humans in mission 3 definitely leaves a bad first impression.

I can imagine a no kill run being extremely frustrating.

The reviews complained about the alien AI, which I mostly disagree with. They should have complained about the human AI, which is much, much worse.

I don't know how this idea seeped into the discussion surrounding this game, but please save yourself the anguish and let the actual game teach you how to play properly

I'm playing the DLC first and I don't see how hard it is to "play properly." The only times I've died have been to my own carelessness and sometimes experimentation (like trying to take the alien on with my wrench).

The game mechanics don't need a tutorial. Just look up the controls in the menu and take your time.

I had a similar issue. Just bump it down to normal. I didn't feel like spending 3 hours figuring out how to lure every one of the humans out of the room just right. Maybe if I went back now and tried it again I'd handle it better, but yeah. I had more trouble with that first human encounter than anything else in the game so far and I'm probably more than halfway through.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I guess I'm supposed to just lead them all out of the room one by one and butcher them with the wrench?

I'm not sure how this made it past the very first ever design meeting to be honest.

Krejlooc

Banned
I mean they can see you from across the entire room (and it's a big room) and kill you with pinpoint accuracy in two or three shots. I tried distracting them with flares and stuff but it still didn't work.

The alien doesn't really rely on line of sight. The stealth mechanics are radically different for humanoids vs alien. The stealth in general works a lot better with the alien.

EDIT: ^ my friends and I really never killed anybody, definitely never out of necessity. We just snuck around everyone.

Zomba13

I did the DLCs first and had no problem. Minus a bit of frustration at the start of Crew Expendable due to the checkpoint placement and again at the end due to it glitching out on me on the button press killing me instead of ending the DLC it was fine. I just approached it slowly, used the flamethrower if shit got real and it saw me and sneaked a lot.

There are barely any human encounters in the game and most of them are easy to bypass completely. The opening chapters are not a good representation of the rest of the game.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I had a similar issue. Just bump it down to normal. I didn't feel like spending 3 hours figuring out how to lure every one of the humans out of the room just right. Maybe if I went back now and tried it again I'd handle it better, but yeah. I had more trouble with that first human encounter than anything else in the game so far and I'm probably more than halfway through.

I turned the difficulty down after maybe the third time I got killed.

I think I made a mistake by leaving the room down the steps I came in from. I have to go back up into the room and as soon as I enter it I get spotted and shot by one of the guys on the balcony and shot again.

Zomba13

I guess I'm supposed to just lead them all out of the room one by one and butcher them with the wrench?

I'm not sure how this made it past the very first ever design meeting to be honest.

Protip (how I did it):
Worst bit of the game for me because whenever I tried to do it "right" there was a guy right by the exit that was always facing the way I was going.

The way I did it:
Trigger he fleeing. Explore area, get ID tag behind desk, get items and such. Grab the hacker to trigger the group. get your ass up the stairs on the side the come from. Hide behind the box that they walk past. Wait for all three to go past. Move a little bit/peek so you can seer the guy that stays by the door. Wait for him to turn his back and go up tot he room. Sneak past to the stairwell.

Very easy to do it that way as I had so many failed attempts trying to be smart and use the bypass things to set off speakers and cause distractions (none worked) and I kept getting caught or not seeing an opening to get to the stairwell either route (walkway or by the room).

Krejlooc

Banned
btw the bit everyone is talking about right now is probably the most frustrating moment in the game I've run into. My friends and I were stuck on that moment for like an hour and a half. Nothing else in the game has been that frustrating or even close (although we're not done).

I turned the difficulty down after maybe the third time I got killed.

I think I made a mistake by leaving the room down the steps I came in from. I have to go back up into the room and as soon as I enter it I get spotted and shot by one of the guys on the balcony and shot again.

Okay, well the way I did it was I crawled over to the cover at the left of the from (from the entrance), snuck out and wrench one of the guys while he was relatively alone, then ran back behind the cover and waited until the humans came close enough round the corner that I could pop out and whack them twice each. I think there were 3, right?

I didn't have much trouble after I turned it to normal.

I'm relieved to see I'm not the only idiot who had trouble with this section. Really weird stuff! Later on in the game the human sections can be taken on in a few different ways, or easily avoided. I like to sick the alien on them.

This one scenario has spawned at least 3 possible solutions in this thread alone, and you're coming up with a potential (yet super-challenging) 4th.

I don't know if that necessarily makes it a bad thing.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
This one scenario has spawned at least 3 possible solutions in this thread alone, and you're coming up with a potential (yet super-challenging) 4th.

I don't know if that necessarily makes it a bad thing.

I don't consider trial and error gameplay of this kind to be good gameplay.

Lime

godelsmetric, call for the alien and use it to kill the human opponents. I admit, I did that on two occasions - I'm a terrible person :(

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I guess I'm going to have to reload the level. I don't think this is winnable from the save state I'm currently in.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Well I'm definitely in a better position this time than I was last time. At least for the next seventeen attempts I know that I have to go upstairs.

[edit] I got killed again.

Grisby

Oh great, a
Medical Area

Nothing will surely go wrong here. But man does this area look good.

This will do for tonight. Will move forward tomorrow.
The true Alien Isolation begins there. Or at least I felt like it was, more so then the security tuner part.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I guess I should have used my psychic powers to tell that she was standing right next to the exit of this vent. Oh well, another reload.

Yeah, you can get an area smokey, turn off nearby camera, create noises as a distraction.

I tried turning on some speakers but it didn't seem to do anything? And I made the area smokey but that didn't seem to do anything either?

Zomba13

Well I'm definitely in a better position this time than I was last time. At least for the next seventeen attempts I know that I have to go upstairs.

Once you have the hack tool just go up the stairs they come down (before they come down) hide behind the box and right against the wall so they go past you then just sneak past the last guy at the far end of the walk way (by the objective door). Wait a bit and he'll turn around and go into the loungy room that is up the little steps. It's a straight shot to the door. Just be sure to crouch and not walk or run.

(I was playing on medium when I did this)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Once you have the hack tool just go up the stairs they come down (before they come down) hide behind the box and right against the wall so they go past you then just sneak past the last guy at the far end of the walk way (by the objective door). Wait a bit and he'll turn around and go into the loungy room that is up the little steps. It's a straight shot to the door. Just be sure to crouch and not walk or run.

(I was playing on medium when I did this)

I'll give this a go.

Nemic77

Does the Rewire thing do...anything...at all? Seems utterly pointless so far.

I presume you're crouching/sneaking around, right? Just get the tool on the bottom floor to trigger the group, go up the stairs on your left, go past the little dinning/seating area.

You can rewire the air filtration system so they don't spot you as easily.

If I recall correctly it's pretty easy to sneak up on the one guy who is patrolling the upper floor, just mellee him to death and run past the door he's closest to. They won't follow you there.

Sorry I can't be any more specific without a map, but I didn't really have a problem with this section. Played through the whole game on Hard and there are much worse parts. None that felt unfair, though.

Basically what I did was trigger her and went back down the stairs until she runs off. Loot everything in the room, pick up the hacker, and go up the stairs to your left if you're facing the hacking tool. I basically just crouch walked along the balcony as quickly as possible, got to the room, sneaked behind the guy that patrols there, and through the door. Speed is important because I tried it after they had been in the room and it did not work as easily.

GavinUK86

Okay, not weird at all. I'm scared to blink.

wcztzb.jpg

Krejlooc

Banned
Basically what I did was trigger her and went back down the stairs until she runs off. Loot everything in the room, pick up the hacker, and go up the stairs to your left if you're facing the hacking tool. I basically just crouch walked along the balcony as quickly as possible, got to the room, sneaked behind the guy that patrols there, and through the door. Speed is important because I tried it after they had been in the room and it did not work as easily.

part of the reason we got stuck for an hour and a half at that segment is we went back and saved after triggering the group. Sneaking into the room and up the stairs when they're patroling is infuriatingly difficult. You pretty much have to do it all in one swoop.

One of my favorite moments came when one of my friends was playing. He was walking around and saw some drool coming from a ceiling vent. He hadn't encountered the alien yet at that point, so he walked close to the drool to inspect it. He looked up, and the alien was sprawled out in the vent, hissing, and the jaws opened and he got his faced gouged out.

Everyone always says they'd be smarter than the people who die those kinds of deaths in movies, but this guy executed the cliche move death to perfection

Fantastic. I remember that part. Obviously I avoided it but I wondered if it was possible to get killed that early on, or if it was just a little teaser.

part of the reason we got stuck for an hour and a half at that segment is we went back and saved after triggering the group. Sneaking into the room and up the stairs when they're patroling is infuriatingly difficult. You pretty much have to do it all in one swoop.

Ah, that makes sense. Yeah, it's a pretty stupid part and just feels out of place.

Top Bottom