• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD R9 390X and R9 380X 20nm Pirate Islands Info Leaked (9x faster than GDDR5)

http://wccftech.com/amd-20nm-r9-390x-feautres-20nm-hbm-9x-faster-than-gddr5/
HBM was originally developed in tandem by both SK Hynix and AMD to replace GDDR5 as the new standard for bandwidth hungry processors such as GPUs.

HBM will allegedly make its way to AMD’s next generation of Pirate Islands GPUs starting early next year.

The first generation of HBM promises to deliver 4.5X the bandwidth of GDDR5 and a staggering 16 times the bandwidth of DDR3.

The second generation promises to double the bandwidth by doubling the speed from 1Gbps to 2Gbps. While also quadrupling the memory capacity for 4-Hi stacks from 1GB to 4GB.

AMD and SK Hynix will continue to scale this technology well into the mid 2020s. In terms of performance, capacity and power efficiency.

The first graphics products to feature HBM are allegedly going to be AMD’s 20nm Pirate Island Rx 300 series GPUs in 2015. The Rx 300 series is expected to be the first to feature TSMC’s 20nm manufacturing technology a full shrink from the current 28nm technology. And also be the first to be equipped with HBM.

Nvidia will be using 3D stacked memory on its GPUs starting with Pascal in 2016, a full year after AMD. Volta was Nvidia’s scheduled GPU for 2015 that was supposed to use the Hybrid Memory Cube or HMC for short which was s 3D stacked memory technology competing with HBM. However after HMC’s development fell behind the roadmap it put a lot of pressure on Nvidia to look for an alternative technology, which they did.

More at the link.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Maybe I can finally upgrade for my Occulus build then.

69502gb getting long in the tooth.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I have no idea what that article is saying, all I see is more power, more bandwidth, less power consumption, scalable, so here's my reaction to this news:

ePHQ0H7.gif

Kezen

Banned
Hopefully Nvidia also have something to counter that, like a GM200.
I wish good luck to AMD, they are going to need it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hmm, one might say this is interestingly timed given the 970 buzz out there.

Certainly this would be interesting though, if AMD can really deliver stacked memory so soon, and so far ahead of nVidia. Lots of 'allegedlys' in there though, so not sure whether to rev the hype engines or not.

Hopefully Nvidia also have something to counter that, like a GM200.
I wish good luck to AMD, they are going to need it.

Yeah, hope this too. 2015 is the year they have to be ready for my Oculus build. I'd like to go with Nvidia but 2016 is too late so AMD could be the only option :/

The article reads that AMD will have a full year of HBM over Nvidia GDDR5... that is going to be very very nice for AMD.

In case you're wondering, Nvidia has its finger in HBM pies too. Afaik HBM is a memory standard, and AMD would here be working one one specific implementation of it, rather than "inventing it" as the OP's article seems to be making out. Someone might correct me if I'm wrong there.

Like, next year. This is thought to be a Q1 2015.

the article says nvidia will use hbm. i just left it out of the summary

What’s painfully ironic however is that Nvidia ended up using the AMD and SK Hynix co-developed HBM with Pascal. Which the company confirmed earlier this year. Nvidia very rarely uses a technology developed by their competition if ever.

Hmm, one might say this is interestingly timed given the 970 buzz out there.

Certainly this would be interesting though, if AMD can really deliver stacked memory so soon, and so far ahead of nVidia. Lots of 'allegedlys' in there though, so not sure whether to rev the hype engines or not.

They certainly need to do something, since Maxwell has wiped the floor with AMDs upper range cards in value, efficiency and pure power terms. With the 960 just around the corner most likely, their low-mid range might be under threat too.

R_Deckard

I have no idea what that article is saying, all I see is more power, more bandwidth, less power consumption, scalable, so here's my reaction to this news:

ePHQ0H7.gif

No this news make me happy that my 970 order was not shipped due to shortages....I may just wait now and get the new AMD cards when they ship....good to see PC top end being moved on enough (hopefully) to think about upgrading, my 7870 has been a superb card till now.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
No this news make me happy that my 970 order was not shipped due to shortages....I may just wait now and get the new AMD cards when they ship....good to see PC top end being moved on enough (hopefully) to think about upgrading, my 7870 has been a superb card till now.

Same-ish here; I was about to upgrade for Shadow of Mordor, but it runs decently on my current system, now I can save up and bide my time for a rig with this awesomesauce in it. I just hope they ship 6Gigs VRAM versions ;)

Kezen

Banned
Right because AMD is charity and they never used superior market position in moments when they had it to bleed people wallet dry.

True. They will charge as much as they can get away with, just like Nvidia.

I hope AMD can truly release spectacular products, I don't want the GPU space to become akin to what's happening on the CPU side, Intel humiliating AMD on a yearly basis and not feeling pressured at all.

Tommy DJ

But.. wasn't AMD dead after 970?? ;)

ThoseDeafMutes, someone has to invent and develop the system to be used later as "memory standard".

They pretty much are for the rest of the year. These cards are coming Q1 2015 whenever that is. By then, NVIDIA has the 980, 970 and 960 out. What does AMD have left when the 960 releases?

there's always going to be something better on the horizon in this market...just pick the best you have ATM,we have several months before the 3xx series

As someone who only upgrades their GPU every 2-3 years, I'm more than willing to wait out an extra 6 months to see how it plays out. We're so close to the 20nm drop, that and HBM likely to be AMD exclusive all next year? That is a perfect firestorm for AMD.

stryke

So I did a very quick skim of the article, the presentation, the russian and japanese articles linked (with google translate so it may be iffy) and unless I missed it, none of them actually make the connection between Pirate Islands and HBM.

Seanspeed

Banned
Wow, that would be really early for stacked memory.

Exciting. AMD needed something up their sleeve.

EDIT: Should remember this *is* just rumor, true stryke.

The article reads that AMD will have a full year of HBM over Nvidia GDDR5... that is going to be very very nice for AMD.

I hope for their sake and ours that they're very aggressive in leveraging this advantage. I'm not convinced it's going to allow them to really crush the Nvidia range though - the Maxwell cards actually have less memory bandwidth than their predecessors yet perform better... and use less power... on the same process node.

oh my god....

I seriously do not want to buy an intel CPU.

AMD pls :(

HBM is apparently going to play a big part in the next AMD APUs, but whether this is going to be used exclusively for the igpu (which would still be pretty big as it would mean great things for mid-range laptops) or if it can be used general computing has yet to be specified.

I hope for their sake and ours that they're very aggressive in leveraging this advantage. I'm not convinced it's going to allow them to really crush the Nvidia range though - the Maxwell cards actually have less memory bandwidth than their predecessors yet perform better... and use less power... on the same process node.

Memory bandwidth hasn't been too great of an issue mostly because the current GPUs have essentially hit a hard cap at the current 28nm process. The drop to 20nm combined with this should be quite drastic. But yes, no one should be celebrating anything till we see hard numbers. There are always way for AMD to screw something up.

They pretty much are for the rest of the year. These cards are coming Q1 2015 whenever that is. By then, NVIDIA has the 980, 970 and 960 out. What does AMD have left when the 960 releases?

So... three or four months?
Given their release schedules which aren't paired anymore, that's the normal thing.

orochi91

Intel has been ahead in the enthusiast space since Core2Duo/Conroe in 2006. AMD couldn't catch up even if it wanted to.

HBM is apparently going to play a big part in the next AMD APUs, but whether this is going to be used exclusively for the igpu (which would still be pretty big as it would mean great things for mid-range laptops) or if it can be used general computing has yet to be specified.

All I need to know is, where will the Skylake (14nm) fabrication and production plants be located?

Arizona or Israel?

SparkTR

wow sounds amazing but there would be not many games taking use of the insane bandwith, or?

It'll be useful in regards to VR, higher resolutions and raising the low-end (which benefits everyone). Back at the start of last gen PCs were mostly at 1024x1280 or 1024x760 resolution. It's not going to take long before 1440p or 4K becomes a mainstream thing in regards to PC gaming and advances like this will drive that resolution jump.

In case you're wondering, Nvidia has its finger in HBM pies too. Afaik HBM is a memory standard, and AMD would here be working one one specific implementation of it, rather than "inventing it" as the OP's article seems to be making out. Someone might correct me if I'm wrong there.

Yes HBM is a standard, but from what I understand it was mainly developed by Hynix and AMD. There's another competitive standard, HMC (hybrid memory cube), that's being developed by Micron, Intel etc.. Earlier this year Nvidia said that they're using HBM, but we don't know if they were originally planning to use HMC (which is what the article states).

Top Bottom