• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2: DF Frame Rate Test - It's a Doozy...

Jrs3000

Haha nice title. Even though it's 30fps their use of blur and having it locked makes it feel faster to me.

Majmun

Well, it's a cross-gen title. Wouldn't expect anything else. The Xbox 360 version looks great as well.

Leflus

Well, it's a cross-gen title. Wouldn't expect anything else. The Xbox 360 version looks great as well.
It's not a traditional cross-gen title.

The 360 version runs on the Forza 4 engine.

The XBO version runs on the Forza 5 engine.

Feindflug

Really impressive stuff from Playground again, such a talented team.

Also this is a quote from a DF interview about the first game:

Digital Foundry: What's the secret in maintaining frame-rate bearing in mind the multitude of factors that can influence the time taken to render the next frame? Bizarre's Blur used an innovative LOD-balancing system, for example.

Alan Roberts: Solid performance is something that needs to be bred by a studio culture that underpins everything you do. This means artists, designers, audio guys and coders all pulling in the same direction to make sure budgets are hit. We're really in alignment with Turn 10 on this and you can see the results of employing that culture both in Motorsport and Horizon regardless of the target frame-rate.

I wish more developers thought like that especially in genres that require consistency.

Framerate is king, and Forza is doing both open world 30fps (Horizon) and more static track 60fps (Motorsport) full justice.

jem0208

I have noticed a hitch of two, however it's only a very, very short pause. Unfortunately even more noticeable due to the game being so solid otherwise.

They mostly happen when looking for an online game.

HeliosT10

Sorry, had to :)

KDg2mad.jpg

I've noticed the occasional half second pause at points, but that seems to happen in every open world game so I've ignored it in this game.

Framerate solidity in this game is fantastic, the invincible 30fps lock and the awesome motion blur make it feel even smoother than it is, you could probably fool me into thinking it's 60 if I ddin't know better.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Same as Horizon 1

Not a single dropped frame in sight. These Playground Games guys know their shit.

Framerate is rock solid. It's a great game , it looks the part and I really enjoy playing it. Looks great too, although rain is quite underwhelming to me. Hope PG will also fix the pop-up and texture loading in a future update.

RyudBoy

Well, I did encounter one very brief section that dropped a few frames. It happened during a night race in the rain, and it was still very early in the race. I was drifting around a corner and slamming into a lot of chairs/tables while the rest of the cars were mostly on screen, too. This only happened 1 time though, and I never seen it dip again.

Non issue, really. It's pretty much perfect other than the occasional split second hiccup that someone already brought up.

Great job, PG/T10. Game is solid thirty like the first, just so much better.
Would love them to get the Blur ip, Blur 2 would be amazing by PG imo

No thanks. We don't need more developers sacrificed at the altar of Activision. Blur is so overrated, anyway, and I'd rather just see a new IP or it remade as a DLC mode.

Qassim

I've had some hitches here and there and it has crashed on me twice, but I'm not sure if that's because i'm on the October preview update for the OS.

Forza Horizon 2 is not a Cross-Gen title. As others have pointed out, the Xbox One and Xbox 360 titles were built on different engines and by different developers (Playground on XO and Sumo Digital on 360). The Xbox One version uses a modified Forza 5 engine and the Xbox 360 version uses a modified Forza Horizon engine.

The Llama

Good, but honestly it'd be disappointing (IMO) if they couldn't even get it to keep a nearly 100% consistent 30fps.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

Oh please. This game is not scaled up from 360 version. They both run on different engine.

Gestault

I've really enjoyed this game. The combination of the good input response, handling model and smooth framerate/motion blur has easily put it in the top 3 for arcade-style racers I've ever played.

vg260

Good, but honestly it'd be disappointing (IMO) if they couldn't even get it to keep a nearly 100% consistent 30fps.

I have to agree. I feel like celebrating a locked 30 fps is a bit much and is result of lowered expectations based on other developers not knowing their stuff on other games. I get the frame rate had to take a hit due to it being open-world, but really this seems like it should have been expected.

I have to agree. I feel like celebrating a locked 30 fps is a bit much and is result of lowered expectations based on other developers not knowing their stuff on other games. I get the frame rate had to take a hit due to it being open-world, but really this seems like it should have been expected.

There's nothing wrong with praising a dev for nailing great performance with such a complex and beautiful title on what everyone says is underpowered hardware. I'm sure their engineers love it.

The Llama

There's nothing wrong with praising a dev for nailing great performance with such a complex and beautiful title on what everyone says is underpowered hardware. I'm sure their engineers love it.

"nailing great performance"

Its a constant 30 fps. Come on now. That should be expected.

"nailing great performance"

Its a constant 30 fps. Come on now. That should be expected.

It is what it is. Show me a game that does what FH2 does as nicely as it does running better on the same hardware.

I think the desire to downplay this game's technical achievement is absurd, that or you're playing games I have no idea exist.

Top Bottom