• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor DF Face-Off

The Xbox One release is immediately on the back foot, with our pixel count tests highlighting an upscaled 1600x900 resolve for the platform. In contrast with the full native 1920x1080 output on PS4,

Curiously, the PS4 and Xbox One feature an effect that refuses to work on PC: motion blur. Despite both camera and object motion blur being available in its settings menu, enabling it gives us no visible return while in-game.

Besides the 900p versus 1080p divide in native resolution, there are other noteworthy contrasts between the Microsoft and Sony versions. One of the biggest is in shadow quality, where Xbox One employs lower-resolution, flickering shadows that match the PC's medium standard. PlayStation 4, meanwhile, offers much sharper outlines - particularly on hand details as Talion presses to a wall, falling close to the PC's high setting. It's a clear PS4 lead here.

Added to that, while the Sony console falls very short of the PC's level of vegetation density, by comparison to Xbox One it still boasts a notable increase in foliage across the world. Otherwise, both versions are very closely aligned in terms of effects quality and filtering - the PS4 only missing out on a subtle alpha effect around a creature's fangs in one encounter (shown in our comparison videos).

All of which leads us on to the topic of performance. Each of these per-platform visual tweaks service one end goal: v-synced 30fps playback on console hardware. In dialling back the LOD levels, textures and shadow quality for Xbox One and PS4, Monolith Productions achieves a near-perfect lock at this target based on our tests. Even in rendering a screen filled with irascible orc underlings, there's little that disrupts Shadow of Mordor's clean 30fps read-out. We do get the odd dropped frame when the camera quickly zooms to an alerted general; but gameplay is otherwise consistent for both platforms.

V-sync me if old

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-shadow-of-mordor-face-off

Monolith Productions achieves a near-perfect lock at this target based on our tests.

Yup, played the PS4 version for about three hours last night and this morning and I didn't notice a single stutter, drop, etc.

Pretty amazing they managed to lock it considering it's open world, I expected some serious problems when the game opened up...

You can try pushing your luck by pushing texture detail higher - for example, we tried running high quality textures on a 2GB GTX 760 working in combination with the 30fps lock option. This may give your hardware time to swap in the textures in and out of GDDR5 without too much stutter, but results could vary - as we found when running ultra textures on the 3GB GTX 780 Ti.

I have yet to suffer from these terrible stuttering issues from using high textures on my 2GB card (running at 60fps).

Kayant

With PS4 and Xbox One alike patched up to version 1.02, the differences at first glance are few owing to a heavy use of pre-rendered cut-scenes of matching compression settings. As is often the case, resolution is a divisive point on the console front. The Xbox One release is immediately on the back foot, with our pixel count tests highlighting an upscaled 1600x900 resolve for the platform. In contrast with the full native 1920x1080 output on PS4, it's undoubtedly a downgrade that echoes the state of many multi-platform releases this year. However, catching this disparity does take very close attention to side-by-side shots - in part due to both versions' use of a heavy post-process anti-aliasing effect.

Curiously, this post-process setting is entirely absent from the PC version's menus. Instead, PC users are left with a raw image, which in our comparison shots is set to output a straight 1080p. As a net result, PS4 and Xbox One are able to reduce flicker when panning across foliage, while these elements appear harsh and pixelated on PC. As a fix, it's possible to set the PC resolution to 3840x2160, allowing the game itself to super-sample the image down to a pristine 1080p output, but given how GPU-intensive this is, a less taxing, console-style AA option would have been welcome.

Curiously, the PS4 and Xbox One feature an effect that refuses to work on PC: motion blur. Despite both camera and object motion blur being available in its settings menu, enabling it gives us no visible return while in-game. Even swapping between Nvidia and AMD graphics cards has no impact in kicking this feature into gear - and likewise for altering the appropriate .ini file line to force the effect.

Besides the 900p versus 1080p divide in native resolution, there are other noteworthy contrasts between the Microsoft and Sony versions. One of the biggest is in shadow quality, where Xbox One employs lower-resolution, flickering shadows that match the PC's medium standard. PlayStation 4, meanwhile, offers much sharper outlines - particularly on hand details as Talion presses to a wall, falling close to the PC's high setting. It's a clear PS4 lead here.

Added to that, while the Sony console falls very short of the PC's level of vegetation density, by comparison to Xbox One it still boasts a notable increase in foliage across the world. Otherwise, both versions are very closely aligned in terms of effects quality and filtering - the PS4 only missing out on a subtle alpha effect around a creature's fangs in one encounter (shown in our comparison videos).

All of which leads us on to the topic of performance. Each of these per-platform visual tweaks service one end goal: v-synced 30fps playback on console hardware. In dialling back the LOD levels, textures and shadow quality for Xbox One and PS4, Monolith Productions achieves a near-perfect lock at this target based on our tests. Even in rendering a screen filled with irascible orc underlings, there's little that disrupts Shadow of Mordor's clean 30fps read-out. We do get the odd dropped frame when the camera quickly zooms to an alerted general; but gameplay is otherwise consistent for both platform
More here - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-shadow-of-mordor-face-off

Majmun

Pretty big advantages for the Ps4 version.

1080p, better shadows and more foliage compared to the XB1 version.

Interesting that they barely mention the 60fps advantage for PC. You know, the biggest differentiator between the 3 versions of the game.

Cerity

Interesting that they barely mention the 60fps advantage for PC. You know, the biggest differentiator between the 3 versions of the game.

I thought this is more or less a given when on PC. Unless the port is shockingly bad and gives reasons to mention it.

killatopak

Gold Member

Why does it have to be mentioned when 60fps is almost always the case unless the devs capped the fps to 30 on PC.

Highly recommend you play this game, BTW, even if you can only get the XB1 version. Even at 900p it still looks really nice (PC version w/ med-high settings):

184b2c3439.png

Kezen

Banned
Not every PC will run it at 60fps. If you want the framerate, go find a graphics card benchmarker.

The fact that you can get 60fps should still be mentioned and stressed, you don't need cutting edge hardware for that either, especially if you accept console settings (medium/high).

Durante

It's not limited to 60 FPS on PC though -- though for some reason it's limited to 100 FPS, which seems silly on the face of it. I wish they would have asked them about that.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Highly recommend you play this game, BTW, even if you can only get the XB1 version. Even at 900p it still looks really nice (PC version w/ med-high settings):

How do I equip that cool cloak? Love the game but not a big fan of Talion's attire.

Kayant

According to gamespot there was a patch to boost it from 900 to 1080.

Well DF pixel counted this to found out it's 900p and the heading on that gamespot video doesn't say anything about the patch bringing it up to 1080p just that it was tested at that. Which from looking at things is their assumption because DF had to pixel count to find the difference.

However, catching this disparity does take very close attention to side-by-side shots - in part due to both versions' use of a heavy post-process anti-aliasing effect.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Oh, not a big difference. Aside from twice the frame rate on PC. What a schlep of an article. I have this on PS4 and PC. The visuals really aren't much better on PC. But the framerate is so smooth at 60 fps it's hard to go back to the PS4 version. Glad I still have it though.

BouncyFrag

How do I equip that cool cloak? Love the game but not a big fan of Talion's attire.
You can change your skin from the main menu as you could do in the Arkham Batman games. Unfortunately, Talion sports his default look in cutscenes which is annoying. This was also the case in the Arkham games. Other than this very small nitpick, the game is fantastic and fresh.

I impulse bought a PS4 last week to play this and I haven't been disappointed. I'd say its the draw distances have pleased me the most from finally upgrading my console.

Kezen

Banned
Oh, not a big difference. Aside from twice the frame rate on PC. What a schlep of an article. I have this on PS4 and PC. The visuals really aren't much better on PC. But the framerate is so smooth at 60 fps it's hard to go back to the PS4 version. Glad I still have it though.

DF have downplayed differences between consoles and PC many times in the past. Not surprising to see them trying to brush 60fps under the carpet since the PC is the only platform which can enable this.
I'll take that over AA. Motion blur will most likely be fixed since it's in the option menu.

R1CHO

30 fps on PS4? With lower settings? Well, then the performance of the pc version seems perfectly good.

Still sad that they don't have any native AA settings... besides down sampling. That and the shitty V-sync ingame.

Not every PC will run it at 60fps. If you want the framerate, go find a graphics card benchmarker.

Most mid-range hardware can run it at 60fps, though. This is the game maxed out (sans ultra textures) at 1080p. I consider a 670 a lower mid-end card - lower shadow quality/vegetation distance from ultra to high and you will probably get a very consistent 60fps on a 2GB 2 year old card.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-RPG-Middle-earth_Shadow_of_Mordor-test-ShadowOfMordor_1920.jpg

JoeTheBlow said:
They do, at the end, and state that even with that the console versions still look more polished thanks to the vsync lock, AA and motion blur.

Sorry but I'm not a big fan of blurry post-process AA (DF even mentions that it hides the differences between 900p and 1080p - losing your native res' clarity is not a positive). PC version has bordeless window mode which means you don't need to turn on vsync for a non tearing image.

I'm not sure where you are getting that the console version looks more polished when the PC version has built-in downsampling options as well as other higher fidelity options.

Top Bottom