• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s ‘RoomAlive’ transforms any room into a giant Xbox game

mocoworm

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/5/6912979/microsoft-roomalive-research-projector-system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILb5ExBzHqw&sns=em

When Microsoft first demonstrated its IllumiRoom research project at CES last year it generated a huge amount of attention ahead of a next-generation Xbox unveiling. A video showed off a projection system that was linked to the Xbox to extend games from a TV to nearby walls, and appeared to be more than just a concept demo. It turned out that IllumiRoom was "just research" after all, but Microsoft is back this year with IllumiRoom 2.0: RoomAlive.

iMax

Preferred IllumiRoom to this. That at least seemed more 'shippable' and more accessible to consumers.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'll take a holodeck over a big pair of VR goggles.
Now they just need to work on projection technology so that Plasma fire actually shoots out of my walls towards me for Halo 10.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How does it turn it into an xbox game when ti is clearly driven by a PC? Not to mention the lack of practicality of needing 5+ projectors and kinects.

Might be suitable for a dediepcated setup in eg an arcade, but then you wouldn't need any of the correction for furniture which is kind of the point of the tech demo.

For the people that mention it.

They are well aware that this isn't suitable for consumers in this form.

RoomAlive’s video projectors and Kinect combination is far too costly and large for living rooms right now, but Microsoft is imagining a future where this technology will be smaller and low-cost.

Nice to see they already found their next innovation to cancel after they stopped bothering with Illumiroom.

Illumiroom wasn't meant to release as a product. They wouldn't have made this if they hadn't had Illumiroom as a stepping stone. This is Microsoft Research, they try to find the boundaries of what they can do and then see what they can do with the results.

Caayn

For the people that mention it.

They are well aware that this isn't suitable for consumers in this form.
Jup, give it a few years and it might grow into an awesome product that is actually ready for consumers. Innovation tends to come from crazy ideas.

Almost every proof of concept is not suitable for consumers, strange that some people in this thread seem to forget that.
Don't worry, it'll likely be worse once it gets stripped down for consumer use in the same vein of Natal -> Kinect.
Hence why I said "it might" ;)

Marcel

Jup, give it a few years and it might grow into an awesome product that is actually ready for consumers.

Almost every proof of concept is not suitable for consumers, strange that some people in this thread seem to forget that.

Don't worry, it'll likely be worse once it gets stripped down for consumer use in the same vein of Natal -> Kinect.

It's a cool and totally non-practical concept for end-consumers.

Exactly.

I could see this being used in some arcade center, but how many of us would be willng to buy 7 projectors + 7 kinects and put them on their ceiling? The thing would also need to recalibrate each time you move a chair.

I prefer a pair of VR googles. More practical, far cheaper, and I wouldn't get blinded by intense light each time I lift my eyes upward.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Kinect 2.0 should have been some sort of orb shaped camera with projection capabilities so it could do this.

Jumping past virtual reality straight to holodeck I see.

Except that a holodeck is really much more limited than even the OR DK1. Sure, it looks cool, but what does it have over a VR headset to justify the additional cost? I'd argue that a headset is both more immersive, simpler and cheaper.

barit

Sorry but this looks kinda lame. Would take a good VR helmet for better immersion over this any day

Mindlog

Why is it always this or that?
Especially when two products have very different applications. I'm already sold on CV1 and maybe Morpheus. I could see myself getting this very niche setup for other applications.

Newline

Why is this a thing?

It's never going to be commercially viable in the foreseeable future, theres never going to be software developed for it.

Just make VR Microsoft.

Prine

Banned
Why is this a thing?

It's never going to be commercially viable in the foreseeable future, theres never going to be software developed for it.

Just make VR Microsoft.

Ehhh its not anything just a POC. And your suggestion is horrible, even of its not viable they should continue to investigate ideas no matter how wacky.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Honestly, it doesn't look bad but it isn't "immersive" because it's just projectors hitting things in the way of it's projection and making you do a little game in hitting those things.

I'd rather have "Jarvis" from the Iron Man movies where a computer projection that you can put your hand through that isn't blocked by light/etc. happens. Probably won't ever be possible in my life time, but would be wicked to have.

Newline

Ehhh its not anything just a POC. And your suggestion is horrible, even of its not viable they should continue to investigate ideas no matter how wacky.
It's a pragmatic suggestion is all, VR is affordable and has potential for great proliferation. It's also a platform whose surface hasn't even been scratched yet. Theres going to be plenty of wacky creations once the dev community grows and competition begins.

I'm all for wacky ideas... but ideas that'd need £4000+ worth of hardware and highly specific living conditions to set up? Dead on arrival.
This seems like some failed PhD project.

I'll stop now.

LQX

As amazing as that is I think wearing a VR headset would be more immersive that shooting at shit projected on to my living room walls.

It's a pragmatic suggestion is all, VR is affordable and has potential for great proliferation. It's also a platform whose surface hasn't even been scratched yet. Theres going to be plenty of wacky creations once the dev community grows and competition begins.

I'm all for wacky ideas... but ideas that'd need £4000+ worth of hardware and highly specific living conditions to set up? Dead on arrival.
This seems like some failed PhD project.

I'll stop now.

Failed PhD project? It would be a great success. The proof of concept seems to work very well.

The goal of this research is not to create a commercially viable product and that is something everyone should be aware of.

RowdyReverb

Why is this a thing?

Just make VR Microsoft.

Wouldn't the gun, player, and environment tracking demonstrated still be beneficial for VR? The VR program could incorporate your real environment into the game world using a similar method to projecting onto it. For example, you could have a VR (AR?) version of "The Floor is Lava" that lets you actually stand on your furniture, which would look like floating lava rocks to you. The research is definitely worthwhile.

Looks awesome, can't wait to use this when I'm 80!

No more using a controller for my then old feeble hands - I can use my whole body to bumble around the room and go "bang bang!" with my finger to mow down baddies.

Then walk to a nearby tree and go afk while I take a nap.

halfbeast

Banned
I don't know, with the paper-thin LEDs samsung or LG is researching, wouldn't it be better to plaster your walls with that and let a camera track your movement in the room?

I don't know, with the paper-thin LEDs samsung or LG is researching, wouldn't it be better to plaster your walls with that and let a camera track your movement in the room?

Well, then you still have the trouble with objects in the room. Unless you want to plaster LEDs over those too, but you'd need to clean all the LEDs up again when you are done.

image.php

Cool as hell but it seems like it has limited practical uses.
6VFV9JV.jpg

Peterpan

As amazing as that is I think wearing a VR headset would be more immersive that shooting at shit projected on to my living room walls.
I dislike the idea of being locked away from the world. Its bad enough games are a escape, we don't need people stuck in VR machines running away from reality and responsibilities, I have a huge problem with VR, but that's my IMO. I think its a really cool concept, but I can see the major issues in society as a whole if it becomes huge, especially with people, with no constrain, might be wrong. I prefer this tech from Microsoft though.

Top Bottom