• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub dev "had confidence" servers would work - compensation possible

jcm

I can't believe this isn't fixed yet. How embarrassing. They must have a tricky single point of failure somewhere, because otherwise I imagine they'd just be throwing hardware at it until it works.

itxaka

Defeatist
I don't get the anger some people have. Like do you really think Evo is just chilling and didn't care if their game was going to crash and burn and maybe bring them with it? Especially with how people looked at Dice and BF4?

Or do you maybe think they basically just got stuck with a break and are trying to fix it and repair the damage? Obviously they tested it out, did a Beta on PSN and such, and it worked. They wanted a working game and did the tests they knew to do and it passed. Real world played out differently. That happens with software and tests. A little team relative to a massive world audience means a lot of issues only get caught by the mass real world audience. This is one that came from the real world audience and is Evo's worst nightmare.

Get off their backs. They obviously would rather be known for a flawless release and an instant fix the next day at worst. If it's taking time, it's because the issue takes time so resolve.

Arent they backed up by Sony?

rrc1594

If people pay 60 dollars for something they expect what they paid 60 dollars for. I understand Evo didn't want this to happen and feel bad. Your complete entitled to complain about this, you pay paid for the game. Gaming is not cheap

K' Dash

I feel bad for the people at Evolution Studios, BUT if I did a (comparable) fuck up like this at work, I would not expect my boss or clients to have mercy on me.

shandy706

ibeVWoIMwbUwhh.png
- Eurogamer Article Image

That...ummmm...I'm pretty sure that is not DC...lol

Yeah, you are totally right. No game should ever be criticized if it release with serious errors that prevent it from being fully playable...

Criticize all you want. Acting like they did this on purpose is the lunacy. Calling it snake oil and such. Those are the children.

rambis

Banned
Where did I say they didn't care? My entire point was that them caring and feeling bad doesn't mean anything when there are a bunch of people who payed good money for a broken product.

You're essentially saying it's alright to not have any standards for the companies you buy products from because they might feel bad every time they sell you something that doesn't work.
Ive said no such thing. You seem to be in such a mood to argue that youre creating points to arguw against.

DOWN

Banned
Arent they backed up by Sony?
Okay? Is the idea that it should be an overnight fix because Sony?

You really think they are letting the problem go on longer than needed? Like Sony is under-supporting them? Or like they should magically live a life of few problems if they are backed by Sony? We don't know the issue, but I think it should be obvious they would be moving as fast as possible.

i-Lo

In the real world when people release products with minor flaws (like the iPhone 6) there is an ass storm of complaints. Unless a game is an MMORPG, expecting it to work out of the box isn't outlandish or childish. See: Skyrim PS3, BF4, SimCity.

Thank you.

See no, I said I feel bad for them. I don't really care who rages or not. It is just a game, and IMO doesn't come close to being as important as people's jobs and livelihood.

You're welcome to feel differently. Rock on.

"It's just a game"; seems like pulling out the religion card- All discussion henceforth is rendered irrelevant.

Perhaps this is the reason why many still don't take "games" as legitimate forms of creative art work like books, music and movies.

It's Evo's creative vision being realized through a medium and falling short due to technical hurdles they perhaps should have seen coming and now are consequently trying to remedy. I am still confused how someone's logic allows them to make light of someone's work due to its "nature" and yet express concern for the maker.

Ive said no such thing. You seem to be in such a mood to argue that youre creating points to arguw against.
Then what did you mean by you statement about them not caring? Because you obviously did the same thing when reading my post, as I said nothing about them not caring. Only that them caring doesn't matter.

So either you were looking for something to argue against that wasn't there, or were implying that them feeling bad about their fuck up should absolve them from criticism.

ElRenoRaven

You know. We were confident my ass. I'm sorry but Sony has a history of their games launching with huge server issues. I think the only game I've seen come out of them in the last couple years which didn't was Last of Us. Hell they never even got the Twisted Metal servers fixed even. They lessened the issues with them but they were never truly fixed. I'm so sick of hearing the same shit every time too. Oh oh we totally didn't expect this. Well then if every goddamn time you launch a game and it has online issues then maybe expect them with your new game.

The nasty attitude some people have is very off-putting. Cheer up, play something else. Heck, play DriveClub. The game is fine without online for now.

Thank you.

"It's just a game"; seems like pulling out the religion card- All discussion henceforth is rendered irrelevant.

Perhaps this is the reason why many still don't take "games" as legitimate forms of creative art work like books, music and movies.

It's Evo's creative vision being realized through a medium and falling short due to technical hurdles they perhaps should have seen coming and now are consequently trying to remedy. I am still confused how someone's logic allows them to make light of someone's work due to its "nature" and yet express concern for the maker.

That's what this is...for me. And especially as I said in comparison to a person's livelihood. It cannot ever compare to me. Feel free to feel differently. No one is trying to stop your feelings here. I would say its just a movie, book, record too. It pales in comparison to me.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
It really is a shame with all the server issues, denying people from playing a major part of the game. Hopefully, they all get fixed soon so that everyone can play the game it was meant to be played.

Despite all that, you really do have a fantastic racing game under the hood.

I agree to an extent. I don't so much mind if the online is down, but games should be developed with such a thing in mind. Devs should take two approaches.

- make the online and server infrastructure as robust as they possibly can to minimise the risk of issues at launch. Maybe do an open beta if they can't trust synthetic load tests.

- design the game to fail quietly and not be so reliant on day one infrastructure holding up. In DC's case that might mean properly banking your XP until you join a club, allowing you access to club cars temporarily if offline, not having a massive red banner scrolling across your screen saying you have problems connecting..

Yeah, it just seems with a game that is centered around online that more online tests should have been done. Especially with this easily being the biggest PS+ launch that I know of with it being the first of its kind. It was just so quiet. I get keeping secrets under wraps for most games, but a driving game?

Criticize all you want. Acting like they did this on purpose is the lunacy. Calling it snake oil and such. Those are the children.

I agree, anybody who thinks they did this on purpose is not thinking clearly. But, I think most people think they could have taken extra steps in preparing. I'm sure they're working around the clock, this is their job. When our servers go down and my phone starts blowing up I am on the phone all night (if needed). I have no doubt they are rushing to fix this issue, this is their job. But I just can't shake the feeling that more preventative measures could have been taken.

And a little more communication.

i-Lo

That's what this is...for me. And especially as I said in comparison to a person's livelihood. It cannot ever compare to me. Feel free to feel differently. No one is trying to stop your feelings here.

I am trying to understand what you're saying. From the perspective of the devs and from the perspective of gamers and the disparity in severity of consequences for the said parties.

I just see it as two sides of the same coin.

I love entitled gamer logic. If something doesnt work correctly, the only possible explanation is that someone is an idiot and needs to be fired.
Lol, I didn't say anyone should be fired. And that's not "gamer logic." If someone released a product in this condition in any business, there would certainly be a hell of a lot of questions asked about what went down and why such issues were not properly anticipated.

DOWN

Banned
They did not make a working game. If they made a working game, everyone could play it as advertised right now. They made a broken game that they didn't know was broken until they released it. Which is only slightly better then selling a broken game that you already know is a broken game. Either way people payed money for a broken product and are perfectly justified complaining that the product doesn't work. I'd wager that most, if not all companies don't purposefully push broken products out to market. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't be scrutinized for it.

It doesn't matter if they did this on purpose, what matters is it happened. I'm sure Direct TV and Comcast don't randomly knock out my TV and internet signals on purpose to fuck with me, but that doesn't mean that it's suddenly acceptable for my internet to go out every couple months. I pay for their services and I expect to have them as long as I keep paying them.
My heart goes out to CS reps who have had to speak to you.

"Unpredictable issues that you are fixing as we speak are unacceptable!"

That's what this is...for me. And especially as I said in comparison to a person's livelihood. It cannot ever compare to me. Feel free to feel differently. No one is trying to stop your feelings here. I would say its just a movie, book, record too. It pales in comparison to me.
I don't understand the whole "it's their livelihood!" card.Their livelihood rests on providing quality products and services to gamers. So I don't see the need for an outpouring of sympathy. They're adults, they had a job, and they failed at it. They don't deserve pity. They deserve criticism.

I don't understand the whole "it's their livelihood!" card.Their livelihood rests on providing quality products and services to gamers. So I don't see the need for an outpouring of sympathy. They're adults, they had a job, and they failed at it. They don't deserve pity. They deserve criticism.

Have you played the game then?

My heart goes out to CS reps who have had to speak to you.

"Unpredictable issues that you are fixing as we speak are unacceptable!"
I wouldn't bother calling a CS rep about this, because as you said, it's something that they are fixing and most likely the CS rep had nothing to do with the problem in the first place.

I'd sooner return the game and demand my money back for a faulty product. Then I would use that money to buy one of the many games on the market right now that aren't broken, and use that money to support a company who can put out a working game day one. The only time I'd even bother talking to a CS rep in this situation is if Sony refused to refund my money for their broken game.

You're also grasping at straws at this point with your little jabs. Probably because there is no reasonable defense for defending a faulty product, so your only option is your terrible attempt at mocking me.

Jaxx

Banned
The nasty attitude some people have is very off-putting. Cheer up, play something else. Heck, play DriveClub. The game is fine without online for now.

"Club". It's literally half of the game's name and more than half of the game's intended content. And it hasn't worked. The game is definitely not fine without it. Nor should anyone find it acceptable that a 60 dollar game launched without half of it's content playable. Blizzard got torched for it, and so did EA. Evo deserves the same treatment.

p3tran

Banned
hmm... doesnt look like we have a firm date, does it?

I've finished everything in offline (except one star from that marussia stupid drift),
am level 33..
I dont even think the times I do on free time trials are uploaded (or kept to be uploaded).
so..
I think I'm gonna give my copy to a friend (as it was given to me too) to let him see what is all about etc.
and we will see.

have to say though, overall -given how this is the sony game I was expecting the most even before nextgen launched- I kind of feel a little bit disappointed.

"Club". It's literally half of the game's name and more than half of the game's intended content. And it hasn't worked. The game is definitely not fine without it. Nor should anyone find it acceptable that a 60 dollar game launched without half of it's content playable. Blizzard got torched for it, and so did EA. Evo deserves the same treatment.

I bought the game because I wanted a gorgeous racer. The game is not broken without online access, and that speaks to its credit. I don't care what the name implies.

I'm not saying anyone should find this acceptable, clearly Evolution agrees and they are working on fixing the issues.

By the way, all the content is playable. It's just not online.

hmm... doesnt look like we have a firm date, does it?

I've finished everything in offline (except one star from that marussia stupid drift),
am level 33..
I dont even think the times I do on free time trials are uploaded (or kept to be uploaded).
so..
I think I'm gonna give my copy to a friend (as it was given to me too) to let him see what is all about etc.
and we will see.

have to say though, overall -given how this is the sony game I was expecting the most even before nextgen launched- I kind of feel a little bit disappointed.

Your times will be uploaded once it goes live.
These server issues have definitely done the game immense harm at this point, together with the negative reviews.. quite a shame.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
What I find hilarious are the "Evo won't survive this!" posts. It's been six days. Not six weeks, not six months. Six days. The PS+ trial version isn't out and the servers are super spotty. It's not like nobody can play the game.

Things will get fixed, they might kick us a few free cars, and most people will go home satisfied.
Have you ever heard the saying, "You don't get a second chance to make a first impression?"

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
My hate is growing towards Paul and Evo. Its just not acceptable that playes who bought the game and payed 59 dollars/euros for it cant play the game.

The way they are handeling this is just idiotic and there is no excuse for it. Im now at the point where they can shove the game where the sun doesnt shine!

Hate is a strong word. It's a game at the end of the day...

p3tran

Banned

you make it sound like there is LOTS of content. .........
anybody who buys this game now, he will have run through the entire offline portion n less than two days. and thats generous, unless we are talking about casuals who pick dc as their first racing game.

These server issues have definitely done the game immense harm at this point, together with the negative reviews.. quite a shame.
are you sure about that? I have noticed two different behaviors on the game, one is completely "off" and the other seems to have some kind of communication.
95% of the time its the first behavior though. in that case, are the laps saved to be automatically uploaded when game finally works?
another problem is, even on the second behavior case, maybe I start the race in semi-connect status, but then 1 minute later its completely offline again.
plus, even on those small windows of time when I seem to have ..full connectivity (able to play online etc), I have never seen any of my laptimes, or any procedure from the game to upload/populate, and I have never seen any of the leaderboards working etc. maybe that only for me though, and others have seen these things functioning?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I bought the game because I wanted a gorgeous racer. The game is not broken without online access, and that speaks to its credit. I don't care what the name implies.

I'm not saying anyone should find this acceptable, clearly Evolution agrees and they are working on fixing the issues.

the online was a fairly large part of the appeal for me. Not so much realtime multiplayer with bumper cars, but the constant stream of times to beat, keeping the interest alive and encouraging replayability. Without that, it does seem like quite a short game. I've stopped playing until things settle down

teiresias

Going back and watching the original reveal is hilarious in light of all of this:

Dude at Playstation Meeting 2013 said:
It's existed as a concept at the studio for 10 years, we trademarked the name Driveclub 9 years ago . . . you can check it online.

Should have been working on netcode that long.

It's a simple concept about driving the very best cars in the world, in the very best locations in the world, but crucially, doing it together.

We've literally waited for the technology to be available to deliver our vision.

Yeah, might want to learn how to program that technology.

Driveclub is a game to play in REAL CLUBS.

Yeah, about that.

We've modeled the direction of every microscopic metallic flake of paint in multiple layers.

That one always made me laugh.

Jaxx

Banned

How is all the content playable when you're locked out of a bunch of cars because you can't progress the Club level?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How is all the content playable when you're locked out of a bunch of cars because you can't progress the Club level?

and quite a bit of the content is user-generated and therefore doesn't currently exist for many people. Online challenges between clubs, and beating section times set by other players. None of that works without the online working.

DOWN

Banned
I wouldn't bother calling a CS rep about this, because as you said, it's something that they are fixing and most likely the CS rep had nothing to do with the problem in the first place.

I'd sooner return the game and demand my money back for a faulty product. Then I would use that money to buy one of the many games on the market right now that aren't broken, and use that money to support a company who can put out a working game day one. The only time I'd even bother talking to a CS rep in this situation is if Sony refused to refund my money for their broken game.

You're also grasping at straws at this point with your little jabs. Probably because there is no reasonable defense for defending a faulty product, so your only option is your terrible attempt at mocking me.

What should Evo have done differently? Assuming next time, they cover this Driveclub issue. What are they to do when they covered their bases and checked it over and it passes the quality tests of them and all their testing crews and their beta participants? What do they do when they are about to launch and it looks excellent next time around?

jcm

Sympathy is something many human beings feel for other human beings who are having a rough time. You can be critical of someone and still feel sympathy for them. They fucked up, but who amongst us hasn't fucked something up?

What should Evo have done differently? Assuming next time, they cover this Driveclub issue. What are they to do when they covered their bases and checked it over and it passes the quality tests of them and all their testing crews and their beta participants? What do they do when they are about to launch and it looks excellent next time around?

Well, obviously they should have written better tests. The ones for this time clearly didn't actually exercise their systems end-to-end.

Challenges are content.

The game is defective right now. It doesn't do what it was advertised to do. I'm positive that Evo is doing everything they can, but that doesn't make things right for a customer who ponied up the cash on their side of the bargain and got only half of a game in return. And nobody but the customer gets to decide whether that one working half is good enough for the foreseeable future.

barit

No not excatly the same. Both games you mentioned were only playable online despite the fact that they were SP games in the first place. That's why they got burned so much from gamers (and rightfully so). DriveClub works Offline just fine

you make it sound like there is LOTS of content. .........
anybody who buys this game now, he will have run through the entire offline portion n less than two days. and thats generous, unless we are talking about casuals who pick dc as their first racing game.

You make it sound like there is NO content.

DOWN

Banned
Let's try it with humans instead of a company since you can't seem to relate to them as a studio:

Good luck to your daughter when her painting is disqualified because it turns out she's colorblind. She thought it looked rad, you thought it looked rad before she turned it in for class and you made sure by even looking up close when she asked, but oops. It doesn't fit the class mural one bit because it turns out the color is just plain wrong.

But damn her. No sympathy for that. So what if she's going to find a way to fix it. She'll never live down the mess of being wrong at the art show.

Too dramatic?

It's kind of insane that digital purchases doesn't have some form of consumer protection here in the United States. Driveclub is the perfect example for why it's needed.

hamchan

Using the words "hate" and "unacceptable" over a $60 video game.

Go outside and look at the world for a few hours. Maybe your sense entitlement will evaporate under sunlight.

Oh man that sense of entitlement that people get when they pay money and expect a fully functional product, how shameful.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I described in a few words... I think two days to run through all the races is generous. dont you agree?

tbh it didn't take me much longer with FH2 - both games are light on single player content (although FH2 does have tons more races in the same locations post-finale)

DOWN

Banned
Well, obviously they should have written better tests. The ones for this time clearly didn't actually exercise their systems end-to-end.
And how would they have known they needed a better test before launch if it seemed like the right test as an experienced studio and the game passed those tests? Heck, how do we know they weren't using industry standard tests that are used on other games?

Now you are assuming it was incompetence instead of real world factors. I don't find bugs and think "wow they are so incompetent."

Pillville

Let's try it with humans instead of a company since you can't seem to relate to them as a studio:

Good luck to your daughter when her painting is disqualified because it turns out she's colorblind. She thought it looked rad, you thought it looked rad before she turned it in for class and you made sure by even looking up close when she asked, but oops. It doesn't fit the class mural one bit because it turns out the color is just plain wrong.

But damn her. No sympathy for that. So what if she's going to find a way to fix it. She'll never live down the mess of being wrong at the art show.

Too dramatic?

Ok, this may be the dumbest thing I've ever read.
The corporation that I paid money to for a product, now has to be treated like my child with a handicap?

teiresias

Too dramatic?

Was his daughter working on commission and getting compensated for this work?

Top Bottom