• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 disc read error? Is it safe to use a Blu Ray cleaner?

PS3 Slim 160GB has been acting strange lately. It normally makes a strange noise when I first insert a game and sometimes it sounds like it wants to eject the disc automatically, but it never does thankfully. Eventually, I can get my games to work without too many problems generally with an occasional freeze here and there on certain games which is rare. Well, tonight, I tried Lollipop Chainsaw and it will load up the game with no problems and at the loading screen after about 5 seconds, it says Disc Read Error, Try to Reinsert disc or something similar to that. The disc looks spotless and brand new. Also, Tekken Hybrid which ran fine before will not even being recognized by the PS3 anymore.

I am thinking about buying a Blu Ray cleaner to see if it will rectify the issue, but some people said it helps and some said, it might make things worst. Has anyone ever used a Blu Ray disc cleaner on their PS3's? Any suggestions?

Occam

Once a laser diode is worn out (and this sounds like it) using cleaners won't fix it. It may have to be replaced.

barit

Yes you can try it maybe you have luck but the best solution is to open the PS3 and clean the lense manually. But be careful you losing your warranty and you should know what you doing aka have some knowledge in PC assemble or other technic devices. My PS3 had the same problem and after i clean the lense it worked flawless again (over 3 years now). So this would be the fastest and cheapest way or you can send it in to Sony or any other store but this will cost you something and your PS3 is not available for some weeks.

P.S. On Youtube you can find many howto's for openning the PS3 and how to get to the BD laser

Thanks for the information. I just started doing this about a month ago and I wasn't sure what was going on. Figured it was a dirty lense, but I might see what I can do to repair it. Still strange some games work flawlessly and others do not want to load at all.

Jawmuncher

Ok thanks. Strange this is, it is just one or two game that are acting weird. Maybe it is time to get another PS3.

Yeah it's on its last legs.
Have had this happen to 2 PS3s.
It would oddly load up some games and not others and then it just completely died.

Oh I see, thanks. I got a lot of digital games also which actually all run perfect. This is my third PS3 now. Might give Sony a call to see what my options are.

Top Bottom