• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse |OT| An Eye-Popping 3D Bouncyvania (3DS/Wii U)

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is out TODAY for 3DS in North America, Europe coming soon, Wii U version in winter.

Price is $19.99.

Reported length is about ten hours (first time), and it is New Game+ and Speed Running friendly.

The Wii U version will feature the same graphics except for HUD and character portraits in HD (similar to Wii U Mighty Switch Force 2).

Launch Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEUcZeNnlWo

Could price be scaring potential buyers away?

Anyway, I grabbed my copy. Great game. The sprite work is amazing and I think this is WF's masterpiece.

Griss

Went to pick it up, wasn't there, was hugely disappointed. I had no idea it wasn't releasing day and date in Europe. Anyone have any news on an EU release?

bon

I can't really afford it right now with Bayo coming out, but I intend to get this ASAP. This looks like the best Shantae yet.

Meffer

My wallet is crying with this and Bayo2 and Fantasy Life. But this game is pretty damn good. Wish it was $15, but I guess the price as it is now is worth it if you're a fan of WayForward as I am.

"You got HAM STINK!"

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/PixyJunket/posts

Here are some of my Miiverse screenshots, although they're shells of themselves without 3D.

zlCfzSk3ouEsrOEQQ5

zlCfzSk3sacTQxwWEc

zlCfzSk48fI9hfrCyh

^ I never thought I'd see a Kid Icarus homage in this day.

zroid

Banned
Didn't see this, thanks for making the OT. I'm hesitant to grab it now because the price in Canada is $22.39, and I'm not too happy about that. Already thought $20 was pushing it.

If it does manage to come out on Wii U while the DDP program is still going on (ie this year) then I may get it then. Otherwise...

Pachinko

Man, this thread has a criminally low post count. People, do yourselves a favor and buy this game. You've probably spent more eating a shitty dinner at a crappy restaurant.

This is Grade A quality gaming , it's double the price of the last one because it's twice the size of the last one.

I'm playing it on 3DS , finished off 2 areas so far and it looks great, sounds great and plays great. The 3D effects on the character portraits are eye popping :p Even the writing has been fantastic so far , I've actually legit laughed quite a few times in just 2 hours of playtime.

Yeah, Bayonetta is out tomorrow , that's great, buy both ! Don't let this game fall off your radar, especially if you supported the last one.

Glad I got this. I liked the first two, but this is shaping up to be the most well-rounded. WF really gave it their all!

It seems you have a habit of accidentally killing NPCs

kiryogi

Banned
Man, this thread has a criminally low post count. People, do yourselves a favor and buy this game. You've probably spent more eating a shitty dinner at a crappy restaurant.

This is Grade A quality gaming , it's double the price of the last one because it's twice the size of the last one.

I'm playing it on 3DS , finished off 2 areas so far and it looks great, sounds great and plays great. The 3D effects on the character portraits are eye popping :p Even the writing has been fantastic so far , I've actually legit laughed quite a few times in just 2 hours of playtime.

Yeah, Bayonetta is out tomorrow , that's great, buy both ! Don't let this game fall off your radar, especially if you supported the last one.

Love Shantae and all, but if this is the OT, the OT OP is criminally lacking.

Cuburt

Looks pretty fast paced compared to the last game. Reminds me more of a Iga Castlevania game now, even if there was that Metroidvania influence in the game already.

@MUWANdo

Banned
A shoutout from Inti Creates!
B0ri0ErCAAA0LwY.png:large

For those who don't know, KOU from Inti Creates did the character art for this game, which is why it looks a lot more Japanese than usual.

Love Shantae and all, but if this is the OT, the OT OP is criminally lacking.

It's probably lacking because WF fucked around and delayed the game a bunch of times and eventually sprung a release date with relatively little warning, so all the hype had died. A lot of people were surprised by or unaware of the release (and a lot more were negatively surprised to learn it still wasn't out in PAL territories, or on Wii U.)

bart64

Banned
I like how they limited their use of 3D to objects that are far apart. You are never quite sure where the platforms are and have to rely more on careful observation, like they didn't want to give it all away with 3D. With the 3D touches on the bust models, on the other hand, I can appreciate the judicious use of depth.

Cool game, seems more polished than the last one so far. Forgot how responsive the controls were, feels springy, In a good way. Only strange part is that some of the 3D effects are reversed, like smoke or a random bird that looks to go further into the background sprite rather than resting above. I'm not sure it was intentional--it just doesn't look physically possible.

TheOGB

Banned
Oh good, there is an OT now.

I'm on the third island, doing the quest that leads to the next dungeon. I like the new pirate gear abilities, the writing's given me a good chuckle on several occasions, and the music (by GOD the music) has been excellent, as expected from Jake Kaufman. The game's been pretty enjoyable so far, and I've got a feeling it's gonna get better after I get the next upgrade.

AwShucks

I'm going to pick this up. Never played a Shantae game but have always been curious. I need a fun and not extremely long hand held game to play right now.

Psxphile

Here you go, OP. Whipped up this banner thinking there wasn't going to be an OT ready when I got home. Since there's one now, it's yours to use if you wish.

6z1n0qS.png

And some of the hi-res bust art from the Pirate's Curse press kit that's been resized and transparen-fied:

tSlhGXb.png
BSQWmbz.png
wsOwBWo.png

HNtknz0.png
ySW1U3s.png
bHtMw8D.png

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the second game but it was way too short, so around ten hours sounds a lot better.
Can't really say anything more since I have to wait for the 2020 European release.

Ramune

This, Gunvolt (and my Mighty Gunvolt DL code), Senran Kagura Burst, the 3D Sega Ages titles and my 2 handfuls of physical releases are tipping me towards getting a refurbished 3DS instead of waiting for the New 3DS model next year. So tempting...

epmode

This game deserves a better thread in terms of OP and discussion on GAF.

For shame GAF.

If given a choice, I'll always wait for a console release. This doesn't have any kind of cross-buy thing going on, does it? If so, I'll buy it today.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Are there any costumes in this?

At least one.

If given a choice, I'll always wait for a console release. This doesn't have any kind of cross-buy thing going on, does it? If so, I'll buy it today.

Remember, it's coming Wii U, too, hopefully sooner rather than later.

NOA doesn't let devs do cross-buy yet. The PAL release might have some sort of cross-buy deal/discount, but don't count on it.

I'm really loving the game but I am stuck! Can't figure out what to do next.
I'm at Mud Bog Island. I have found the Blue and Red Coin, but I can't find the green coin. Is this needed to continue the story? Also in the room where you find the blue coin (or was it the red coin?) there is the thing that you can attempt to go into but won't let you. How do I get in there? I guess what I'm really asking is, what comes first: finding the green coin, or going in there?

This game deserves a better thread in terms of OP and discussion on GAF.

For shame GAF.

The last smash direct and even Bayonetta 2's release don't really help.
The game is really getting overshadowed.

I liked the second game but it was way too short, so around ten hours sounds a lot better.
Can't really say anything more since I have to wait for the 2020 European release.

Hope it will get a EU and AUS release soon. Might end up releasing around the same time as the WII-U version in the US

I made some basic images for the OT if you'd like to use them, PixyJunket. I'm no Photoshop expert, but I tried :) I based the text colors on the Shantae logo as best as I could and I used the Shantae font. If you'd like anything altered, changed, or any new ones, just let me know.

I'll put them in quotes so they don't take up as much space:

I'll try to add some extra information to the first post early tomorrow, it was quick and dirty just to get a thread going for people playing the game.

I'm in the first dungeon myself, but I'm going to have to juggle this and Bayonetta somehow.

LeleSocho

Banned
Is this the same Shantae that had the backlash because of the skin color? Because if so the chara design changed a lot... i preferred the chibi versions :/

Sigil

Neo Member
I'm really loving the game but I am stuck! Can't figure out what to do next.
I'm at Mud Bog Island. I have found the Blue and Red Coin, but I can't find the green coin. Is this needed to continue the story? Also in the room where you find the blue coin (or was it the red coin?) there is the thing that you can attempt to go into but won't let you. How do I get in there? I guess what I'm really asking is, what comes first: finding the green coin, or going in there?

The coins lead to some extra stuff in the village that'll allow you to go into that area (something about needing to smell manly, was it?) I know there is one coin somewhere through the bottom left side exit, where the four NPC's are, and the other two through the top right exit of the NPC room.

TheOGB

Banned
Is this the same Shantae that had the backlash because of the skin color? Because if so the chara design changed a lot... i preferred the chibi versions :/
No, this is not the Kickstarter game, Half-Genie Hero. This game was in development before that happened, and finishes the story from the GBC original and Risky's Revenge on DSi.

Leynos

Could price be scaring potential buyers away?

It sure as hell is keeping me away, and this from someone who loved the GBC, and DS releases. I refuse to pay more than $10 for a digital-only game that has DRM. I'll buy the game if ever I find a Nintendo points card at half price.

Jawmuncher

is this a open platformer like the others?
i still havent managed to beat a shantae game because i get lost :X

her design and just the world in general gets me to spend money every time though.

@MUWANdo

Banned
is this a open platformer like the others?
i still havent managed to beat a shantae game because i get lost :X

Kinda, but it's a lot more manageable this time. The game is split into different islands that you travel between using a ship hub screen, and there are lots of shortcuts that make traversal quicker, items that let you warp back to the ship, etc so it's easier to get around.

The game has a Super Metroid-style map this time, too, which is a huge improvement over the last game's attempt at a map.

Top Bottom