• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Sears has resigned from SOF Studios (H-HOUR, Socom spiriturual successor)

https://www.sofstudios.com/index.ph...-sears-moves-to-advisory-role-for-h-hour-r192

David Sears is no longer the full time creative director for SOF Studios. After receiving the news of his desire to leave the Studio, it was crucial for the Studios to respect David’s decision and to release the information publicly when he and SOFs both felt it appropriate to do so.

As a result, David has been officially placed as an advisor, along with other industry experts, to provide subject matter expertise to the Studio as we continue to build our company and our game.

I want to share a statement with you all from David:

“For personal reasons I had to make the hard decision to leave SOF Studios. This was particularly difficult since I had invested so much of myself in the project and the design for the full game. However, that design is done and the team is experienced and more than capable of delivering. In fact, they are well on their way to achieving the goals I set for them. Basically, if other factors in your life mandate that you have to move on, in this case at least it didn't jeopardize the quality of the game." – David Sears

Well this can't be good for the game that's for sure. I contributed to the kickstarter and I can't say i'm confident i'm ever gonna get my SOCOM fix on ps4 now :(

Here's their most recent update...

For the record, David did resign on September 23, 2014. However, up until that time he continued to work to make certain that all the elements needed to create a successor to SOCOM were in place. He also agreed to become a member of our Board of Advisors, which will enable him to be available to SOF Studios. This commitment will assure that H-HOUR will reflect the original vision and style of play that the community helped shape during design.

Based on the events of the last few days and after careful consideration we have come to the conclusion that a Studio should not be responsible for developing a community; the community itself is better fit to build the environment needed for that type of interaction. A Studio should give interested members the information they need to understand our progress in the development of H-Hour and allow them to provide constructive feedback on that development.

To meet these challenges, we have decided to communicate with members through our Updates on our site, social media and our Support Portal and remove access to the community forums to all outside of Studio staff. This will allow us more time to focus on providing regular timely updates on our development progress going forward. We apologize in advance if this upsets anyone but we need to make the best use of the resources at hand and keep moving this project forward.

SOF Studios-Update: the following deliverables have been completed over the past two months:•As previously communicated, we secured all the funding needed to take H-Hour to Steam Early Access in March 2015.
•We are currently in high-level discussions for PS4 funding.
•While the staff was on break this September, we upgraded and completely rebuilt all of our IT infrastructure. This included hardware and software upgrades to ensure the Dev Team had all the tools in hand when they returned to work on the game.

EDIT: Apparently they've also taken down the forums that were available to kickstarter contributors.... just seems a little shady.

Thoughts?? I just want some Socom!!!

I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention. This is VERY troubling as a long time SOCOM player (one that believes everything good with the series died with SOCOM 2).

David Sears being on the team was literally the main draw and hook of the project. I don't buy this, "don't worry, I left all the work completely perfect before I jumped ship."

Was really looking forward to this. Don't think I can safely pick this up on day one now.

Cardon

Shame to hear David had to step back from the project. Just hope this doesn't spell utter doom for HHour since I was looking forward to it arriving on the PS4.

Unless I'm mistaken the KS was to create a beta, not the full game so they technically delivered on that, didn't they?

Honestly, it was a little unclear. I think the kickstarter was supposed fund a demo that they could show investors. But the odd thing is they started adding things like there will be a ps4 version. So it's a little bit of a gray area with what exactly was promised.

That said, the fact that David Sears is walking away from the project is really the big issue. He fundraised all this money and now he's leaving i'm not sure exactly what is happening.

Shame to hear David had to step back from the project. Just hope this doesn't spell utter doom for HHour since I was looking forward to it arriving on the PS4.

It seems like theres a fighting chance for the PC version but I'm not so sure about PS4 anymore

Honestly, it was a little unclear. I think the kickstarter was supposed fund a demo that they could show investors. But the odd thing is they started adding things like there will be a ps4 version. So it's a little bit of a gray area with what exactly was promised.

That said, the fact that David Sears is walking away from the project is really the big issue. He fundraised all this money and now he's leaving i'm not sure exactly what is happening.

The KS was for an investors demo. Stretch goals included intentions to bring the game to certain platforms* (if it were to be made).

Persona7

Banned
yeah, there was speculation over the past week or two weeks?

but he did do a lot of work already and shaped the game, hopefully everything sticks around and doesn't get changed.

soultron

Banned
Well, this sucks. I'm not 100% confident about the game anymore.

With Sears leaving R6 Patriots as well, I hope this is truly for personal reasons and not an emerging pattern with games where he has a leadership role.

demolitio

Help us Slant Six, you're somehow our only hope...

Confrontation was better than S4 even with all the bugs and rocky launch. If they launched in good shape and actually lived up to their DLC plans, it would have continued to be the most popular online game on PS3 for years and years since teamwork in a MP game is a rarity nowadays.

My H-Hour hype went way down but I'm still hopeful it can bring back the genre where wins matter instead of an XP system that rewards selfish gameplay where people don't even care about losing as long as they rank up by camping and getting kills.

Strikerrr

Banned
Well, this sucks. I'm not 100% confident about the game anymore.

With Sears leaving R6 Patriots as well, I hope this is truly for personal reasons and not an emerging pattern with games where he has a leadership role.

He's still an advisor for SOF and he did say that he was confident in them adhering to the creative direction he set for them before he left so it doesn't sound like he had the same kind of problems that he did at Ubisoft.

Peace Tea

Sucks to hear. Just yesterday I brought myself up to speed, after a 10 or so month blackout, on HHour and read about this.

Sounds like the guy is eating cup of noodles and could be living on the street in some time, IMO.

Not sure if the switch to UE4 is concrete, but the "pitch demo" looked great, and much like Socom. That said, the remaining team are straight up die hard Socom fanatics, so I'm remaining hopeful about a PC release.

Not to don my tinfoil hat speech but by doing this won't make him liable to the new kickstarter ToS. Maybe he feels the community will form a backlash and this is his getaway cars to avoid litigation

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Unless I'm mistaken the KS was to create a beta, not the full game so they technically delivered on that, didn't they?

It's a weird one; the stated goal of the KS was to deliver a tech demo, which they did. So they satisfied what they said they would do. But the rewards included the final game, even though the KS would not fund the final game. I feel like people would have only funded the KS if they legitimately thought, as the devs apparently did, that the demo would be a shoe-in for funding the full game.

Top Bottom