• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Name Is Luka

Status
Not open for further replies.

C4Lukins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZt7J0iaUD0

So this is a song by an artist named Suzanne Vega. She had one other big hit, and a couple of minor hits.

So what is interesting about the song for me, is that .....spoilers.... 20 years later hearing the song I realize I got it wrong. As a young sprout, I always thought that she was singing to a abused boy, but Luka was the the one getting the belt all along.

Anyway I guess you people could choose to discuss

1. My Name is Luka
2. Suzanne Vega
3. Songs About Abuse
4. Songs that the message changed as you got older
5. Whatever the fuck inspires you

HGStormy

Banned
Used to hear this and other American songs on the radio at night in Brasil. Thanks for putting a name to the song.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Tom's Diner and all the remixes are great, but I really love Blood Makes Noise. She has a pretty amazing story on the Moth maybe six months ago?

Volimar

Tom's Diner will get in your head and you'll never get rid of it. You'll think it's gone, but it's there, lurking, waiting. You'll be on the toilet at 3 a.m. weeks after you heard it and you'll find yourself uncontrollably singing it...

"Do do dodo do dododo..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-26hsZqwveA

Enjoy your stay in HELL!!!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Volimar

I am waiting at the counter for the man to pour the coffee.

BB81LbG.gif

C4Lukins

Tom's Diner will get in your head and you'll never get rid of it. You'll think it's gone, but it's there, lurking, waiting. You'll be on the toilet at 3 a.m. weeks after you heard it and you'll find yourself uncontrollably singing it...

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The song is fun because you could add any lyrics to it and it is still fun.

Your shit hole is a stapler
And my maglite is a membrane
The direwolves are breeding
And my lockers full of scabies

Ddddddddd dddddddddd dddddddd ddddd

There are maggots at the crosswalk,
They are high on cocaine altoids

The world is engulfed in flameds,
Or maybe it is just your mind

The skittles leek out your ass.
Just as a monk chants by

Ddddddfdd dddd dddd

bjork

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You fucker! Damn it. I didn't even need to click the link and it's already in my noodle.

Renekton

Somehow mine got overwritten by Mario 2 and Castlevania theme songs. Too much gaming -_-

C4Lukins

Fall Out Boy have a really creepy, dead-sounding sample of Tom's Diner on their new song.

Well if all good and decent things were to be sucked out of billions of years of evolution, who better to play us out then Fall Out Boy. Lets fail spectacularly!

C4Lukins

Yes I think you've seen me before.

I am not committing to that.

I have seen some shit.

I have seen other kids walking up and down the halls.

Maybe I have seen you, fuck it was the late , 80s early 90's.

I would like you to move on you know.

Pog it out..

OuterLimits

Wasn't the 80s song Voices Carry also about abuse? Been awhile since I have heard the song.

I was a kid of about 9 or 10 when the Luka song came out I think. My friends and I didn't understand the meaning behind the song and made fun of it.

We changed the lyrics to My name is Puka. I puked on the second floor. Yes, I think you have seen me puke before.

Not very creative obviously, but we thought it was hysterical at the time.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Suzanne Vega is AMAZING. Many of the biggest stars in music are her fans I've learned.

She recently did an one off gig in London Barbican. The best moment of the night was when she tols the story of the song Liverpool, how it was a good bye song to a school time boyfriend from UK who she had't seen since - until then, he was in the audience. It's been so long since she has been last doing gigs that she forgot the words of Tom's Diner, haha. And yes, Luka is an incredibly sad song about a girl in an abusive relationship.

I feel truly lucky having been able to see the gig.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Ha, seems I always have got it wrong. It is indeed a story about an abused kid, not about a woman in an abusive relationship.

Wikipedia said:
A few years ago, I used to see this group of children playing in front of my building, and there was one of them, whose name was Luka, who seemed a little bit distinctive from the other children. I always remembered his name, and I always remembered his face, and I didn't know much about him, but he just seemed set apart from these other children that I would see playing. And his character is what I based the song Luka on. In the song, the boy Luka is an abused child—in real life I don't think he was. I think he was just different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom