• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exremely slow PS4 download speed

Morac

Neo Member
This is still an issue a year later. My PS4 was downloading a 17.7 GB Destiny update at 50 Mbps (on a 150 Mbps connection) from a nearly Level 3 server when it randomly decided 10 minutes in to switch to using a crappy Akamai server several hundred miles away at a speed of 250 Kbps (yes K).

What was originally going to take less than an hour now says it will take 18 hours.

agc

This is still an issue a year later. My PS4 was downloading a 17.7 GB Destiny update at 50 Mbps (on a 150 Mbps connection) from a nearly Level 3 server when it randomly decided 10 minutes in to switch to using a crappy Akamai server several hundred miles away at a speed of 250 Kbps (yes K).

What was originally going to take less than an hour now says it will take 18 hours.

Yeah, I've had mine going since the patch was originally put up and it still says I have 30 hours to go :(

It's not just load due to TTK either, I was seeing ridiculously slow speeds last week as well, and I'm on a 110Mbps connection. Everything else was fine, it was only PSN downloads that were glacial.

Funny this thread popped up. I was downloading the tearaway demo last night. I tested a 60 Mbps down on ps4 and 110 mbps direct to my computer. The download took over 3 hours ranging from ~15 minutes to downlod to ~22 hours to download. At one point the downlod was stopped entirely for a solid minute. It was incredible.

GeeTeeCee

I turned on my PS4 last night and the 17GB Destiny patch triggered. In 2 1/2 hours it managed to download a measly 230MB, with a predicted time of 99+ hours. Turned the PS4 on today to resume the download, set the console to rest mode, and it managed to get the whole patch in about 3 hours.

Rest mode is a godsend.

I'm downloading the Destiny patch (still have the 17gb application to start) and its been going since 5pm. It's now almost 10pm and it says it has 16 hours left to download 3gb. I'm on a 50mbps wired connection.

I'm fucking infuriated. This is absolute garbage.

Edit: I had to pause the download, test my internet connection and then restart it and now its downloading around 4MBps. Wtf is this shit.

I'm downloading the Destiny patch (still have the 17gb application to start) and its been going since 5pm. It's now almost 10pm and it says it has 16 hours left to download 3gb. I'm on a 50mbps wired connection.

I'm fucking infuriated. This is absolute garbage.

Edit: I had to pause the download, test my internet connection and then restart it and now its downloading around 4MBps. Wtf is this shit.

I was having this exact same problem last night and it is infuriating.

No one has figured out what the problem is? I know some people say Sony just caps us but I doubt they're capping us THAT hard.

The fact that the speed increases for a bit after the internet test option is so weird.

No idea what to do.

Felensis

Banned
I've experienced extremely slow ass d/l speeds since the end of June (I live in Germany) even though I've a VDSL 25 Mbit connection and no such problems with other devices.

A few weeks ago I stumbled across a reddit where someone recommended to evaluate the max MTU size provided by your ISP and then adjust it in the PS4 system settings. This way I discovered that my ISP has a max. 1492 bytes. You then have to abstract 28 bytes because of packet headers etc. This leaves 1464 bytes for me and that is exactly what I've set in PS4 system settings (prior it was set to automatic).

Before the change I tried to download MGS GZ (~4.5 GB) and PS4 told me it will take 12 hours (!). Afterwards it only took 33 minutes (!).

Just don't forget to restart your PS4 after changing the MTU size and eventually you have to pause/unpause concurrent downloads.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I've experienced extremely slow ass d/l speeds since the end of June (I live in Germany) even though I've a VDSL 25 Mbit connection and no such problems with other devices.

A few weeks ago I stumbled across a reddit where someone recommended to evaluate the max MTU size provided by your ISP and then adjust it in the PS4 system settings. This way I discovered that my ISP has a max. 1492 bytes. You then have to abstract 28 bytes because of packet headers etc. This leaves 1464 bytes for me and that is exactly what I've set in PS4 system settings (prior it was set to automatic).

Before the change I tried to download MGS GZ (~4.5 GB) and PS4 told me it will take 12 hours (!). Afterwards it only took 33 minutes (!).

Just don't forget to restart your PS4 after changing the MTU size and eventually you have to pause/unpause concurrent downloads.

Doubt mtu had anything to do with it. You just coincidentally hit a fast server after you restarted. Sometimes I've had to sit there for a minute spamming x to pause and resume a download before I got connected to a server that was able to serve downloads to me close to my 50/5 connection speeds.

Elixist

After I highlight a download (click on it)I get 4 to 5 Meg a second which is acceptable to me. Light years better than ps3

le-seb

Doubt mtu had anything to do with it. You just coincidentally hit a fast server after you restarted. Sometimes I've had to sit there for a minute spamming x to pause and resume a download before I got connected to a server that was able to serve downloads to me close to my 50/5 connection speeds.
Yup, just a lucky coincidence. It doesn't make sense to specify a custom MTU value outside of your router's WAN interface.
You'd just worsen the performance on your side if you don't change the value on all the devices over you LAN (and you probably can't).

Star Wars beta downloaded in like 5 minutes for me while I was playing Fifa. Used to have to put it in rest to even get it close to half decent speeds.

Mengetsu

Any news? I heard some people are having nice speed with the 3.0 Update, but mine still sucks...

Mines improved dramatically. I run a 100 mbps down and before 3.0 starting with 2.0 my speeds would DL at 0.9-1mbps. Now I get 7mbps downloading 10+gig files in about 10-15 minutes.

I'm getting 7-10 megs a second where I used to get 1 or 2. If yours is still slow after 3.0, consider doing a factory reset maybe?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Downloaded SFV beta patch and Dark Souls 3 network test at about 3-4MB/sec, a massive improvement over my typical experience, which is usually 1MB/sec or less.

Slaythe

star wars downloaded insanely fast.

As well as the PS plus games.

I know for a fact it was still solid shit during the MGS V patches.

Moongazer

Any news? I heard some people are having nice speed with the 3.0 Update, but mine still sucks...

It improved for me. Pretty much back to how it was before the 2.0 update. Otherwise it would have been impossible for me to download the 17gb Witcher 3 patch yesterday.

Melchiah

Just downloaded Star Wars beta, and this is the fastest DL speed I've seen so far. It seems like the system update did change something. Approx. 10-11MB/s, when it's been about 6-7MB/s before.

sdBcn0il.jpg

Man, then I don't know what to do. I have a 50 Mb/s connection, the speed test on my Mac says 48, on my PS4 18... on other devices the speed is fine, except my PS4. I might go for a hard reset then, if so many people are doing well with 3.0...

I'm going to initialize the PS4, should I choose a quick or full?

Oxn

Man, then I don't know what to do. I have a 50 Mb/s connection, the speed test on my Mac says 48, on my PS4 18... on other devices the speed is fine, except my PS4. I might go for a hard reset then, if so many people are doing well with 3.0...

I'm going to initialize the PS4, should I choose a quick or full?

Just like you. I also have a 50Mbps connection, and my downloading is still as crappy as before.

If you find a fix, please let me know.

Just like you. I also have a 50Mbps connection, and my downloading is still as crappy as before.

If you find a fix, please let me know.

Ever tried to initialize the PS4? Because if you did it, and it didn't fix it, I will not try; the descriptions says it takes hours, I'm not in the mood for that, but if you didn't I'm going to give it a shot.

TheFatMan

Since the latest patch my downloads have sped up dramatically. I downloaded the SW:B Beta (7 gigs) with the console powered up in about 18 minutes.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
We are moving on up the dramatic scale.

First it was slow, then hella slow, now extremely slow....next up

Catastrophically slow
Cataclysmically paced
Mach -65568 DL speed PSN go to hell /Russel Peters voice

PSN is slow btw, don't get all mad.

Ranma

Mines improved dramatically. I run a 100 mbps down and before 3.0 starting with 2.0 my speeds would DL at 0.9-1mbps. Now I get 7mbps downloading 10+gig files in about 10-15 minutes.

i also got a good improvement after the firmware udate.
Maybe is just coincidence but i got a copule of downloads to do today and they both got to top speed immediately without having to stop-restart as i had to do previously.

The obvious solution is always the right one.

Changed the ethernet cable. Took the PS4 to the room where the router is (that's why I use Wifi), connected it with the new cable. Faster than ever, just like on my Mac. So now I gotta have a long ass cable from that room (which is right next to mine) to my PS4 when I need full bandwidth... but it's something.

Hasney

The obvious solution is always the right one.

Changed the ethernet cable. Took the PS4 to the room where the router is (that's why I use Wifi), connected it with the new cable. Faster than ever, just like on my Mac. So now I gotta have a long ass cable from that room (which is right next to mine) to my PS4 when I need full bandwidth... but it's something.

And even then it's not guaranteed. At least you eliminated the bottleneck on your end though, but be ready to start pausing and resuming downloads until you get a good speed sometimes.

Hasney

Yeah, already used to that before 3.0, now less often.

Would this do the trick instead of a long ass cable?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWRUICG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yeah, it should do the job, but it's dependant on how good the wiring in your house is and you don't really know how fast until you get it. Should be faster than wifi regardless though unless you're in a really old house that hasn't had anything done to the wiring in a while.

NeoGIF

4089604302.png

Yet I can't get higher than 500KB/s download on my ps4 which is wired to my router that is about 5 feet away. Tried everything I could think of. Only thing that makes sense as this point is that the last big update screwed up something, as it was fine before that.

Bruh! I'm packing my bags, consoles, everything and I'm moving in.

Donos

For the last couple of weeks the PS4 is downloading things pretty fast for me (cable connected). It's not maxing my connection (50mbit down) but it's downloading the 17 GB Witcher 3 patch with around 4 MB/sec (32mbit). Same with Wasteland 2 patch and other updates. Would be happy if this stays that way (changed to Google DNS two month ago).

huh1678

Banned
I've always had 10MB/s downloads with ethernet connected since black friday right after launch when i picked up my PS4. As a matter of fact the speeds i was getting is the first thing i noticed when comparing it with my ps3 which was much slower in comparison.

100Mbps dl/35Mbps up
also max out steam @ 10MB/s

Fuck this console. I have 60/60 WIFI which my PS4 won't even recognize. I put in a CAT6 1 gigabit fiber LAN cable and the speed is shit. A 9.4 GB Bloodborne patch is taking forever. SHAME ON SONY. I never had this crap to deal with on PS3.

UraMallas

Sorry for the thread bump but I've been having this issue since launch and it really kills me wanting to play on the PS4. I barely play the thing so I want to remedy that. My Down is 124.4kbps and my Up is 17.5 kbps on the PS4 speed test I just ran. Wireless. For reference:

q2MfNp5.png

That is my PC numbers I just took. Xbox One is similar. What gives? How can I fix this? It is always always like this. Wired is not an option.

knerl

Just got a PS4 Pro and what the hell?
100/10 mbit connection. Wired I get about 12mbit/s according to the built in test.
Running a browser based test I get atbou 20-30mbit/s. All computers I've tried gives me the expected result of ~95-100mbit down and 10mbit/s up.
How the hell can it be so bad? Nothing is hogging the network by the way.
Best part is that the connection while using Wifi on the Pro is faster than while using a cable.

EDIT:
Okay. The built in test seems to be very slow all the time.
I get about 30mbit/s down and 7mbit/s up in that, but in the browser I get anywhere between 60-80mbit/s if I turn off the game I might have in the background.
Had Nioh on which to me doesn't have to hog so much of the bandwidth, but it must have. As soon as I turned that off the speedtest in the browser went from 20-30mbits/s do the previously mentioned values.
This is while using a cable and the automatic settings.
So to anyone testing their speeds make sure to turn off any games that might be running in the background.

Top Bottom