• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343: Halo 5 beta runs at 720p/60FPS, focused on gameplay, not final resolution

The Halo 5: Guardians multiplayer beta outputs at 60 frames per second and a 720p resolution, developer 343 has confirmed.

Studio head for Halo 5: Guardians Josh Holmes told Eurogamer the resolution of the Xbox One exclusive first-person shooter is subject to change as development continues over the coming year.

"For the beta, at this point we're totally focused on gameplay," he said.

"We're midway through development. We're balancing and tuning the gameplay systems. All of the polish and optimisation graphically is stuff that typically comes towards the end of the production cycle.

"So, for the beta, we're going to be coming out at 720p and 60fps. That's not the final resolution for the game. You can imagine as we go through the remainder of the project we'll be focused on polishing the visual look of the game. You can expect it will look amazing when it comes out."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-11-halo-5-guardians-multiplayer-beta-is-720p-60fps

The Llama

Will be interesting to see if it ends up at 1080p or not. tbh if its a rock solid 60fps I wouldn't even mind too much if it was 900p, but we'll see!

Hugstable

Banned
Awesome to see them aiming for 60FPS. I'm sure final Res won't be 720p but closer to 900p or maybe what COD:AW has.

But that 60FPS target is great. More devs should be aiming for 60 fps

Eh this is one case where I seriously think the final product will be notably higher resolution than the beta. Thinking at least 900p but we'll see. I'm not too worried as of yet

Vinc

Except, people didn't think Halo 5 was ever gonna be 1080, with them prioritizing 60fps.

Yea, it'll probably get to 900p by retail.

I'll be ok with that. Just give me COLORS in this freakin' game. Halo 3-esque colors. Please, 343. I miss Halo's unique look.

JayEH

If it keeps the frame rate stable during the beta then cool. My guess is that it'll probably around 900p at launch.

Skux

It's like playing on an Xbox 360!

What are the odds the resolution doesn't get upgraded by release?

GAF meltdown in 3...2...1..

tumblr_n9ym2zclpU1sky7ayo1_500.gif

KoopaTheCasual

I thought they already claimed they were targeting 1080p 60 FPS??
Nope. They only said 60fps, never mentioned 1080p first hand, maybe someone messed up a headline or took a little creative freedom with their extrapolation, but GAF was pretty quick to realize that 343 were very mum on pushing for 1080p, and that's just fine.

Spenser needs to send some MS engineers to 343.

Oh.

Anyway yeah. Its a beta and the game is a year out. I bet the final game is that 4:3 stretched 1080p they used for Halo 2 HD. I also bet that weird resolution will replace 900p on XB1 in the coming months.

soultron

Banned
The MP beta footage looked pretty good to me, all in all. I'd rather have 60FPS in a competitive shooter than 1080p if I had to choose.

VanWinkle

I figured it was probably 720p even from the really compressed footage. Heavy aliasing everywhere.

Not necessarily an indicator of final resolution, but yeah.

Kayant

Still has about 7+ months in the oven and 60fps. It will likely be 900p or the same res as h2a for scaling. Analysis on the frame rate should be interesting to see if that "focus on gameplay holds up".

Kevyt

As long as it's a constant and smooth 60 fps, I am fine with this. I'm sure they'll get the resolution up though. Or it could be that the game in singleplayer runs at 1080p variable framerate and 900p 60 fps for multiplayer. Could be.

Top Bottom