• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keighley: Microsoft might be holding an event around the same time as PlayStation Exp

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From a Polygon interview about the Game Awards.

Polygon said:
Keighley, who has been covering the industry for much of his life, isn't just producing the two-hour show, he's paying for it out of his own pocket.

"The investment is my own," he told Polygon. "I'm bankrolling it and we're trying to sell some sponsorships. But there are no submission fees."

Keighley is also hoping to earn back the money for renting Planet Hollywood's AXIS Theater in Vegas through tickets, which went on sale earlier this week for $45 each, but there is no safety net.

It helps the odds that the Game Awards is happening the day before the PlayStation Experience kicks off in Vegas, a massive PlayStation-themed public event being put together by Sony. And Keighley said that he's heard Microsoft might be doing something for fans around his show as well.
Source: http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/13/7...amer-centric-award-show-out-of-his-own-pocket

You would think they'd announce it by now. It's less than a month away.

MS announced their plans for a Gamescom show pretty late iirc, so its not that unheard of I guess.

I wonder what they will show though, Phil Spencer said today we'd hear more about QB in 2015, same with Phantom Dust and Scalebound...

MS announced their plans for a Gamescom show pretty late iirc, so its not that unheard of I guess.

I wonder what they will show though, Phil Spencer said today we'd hear more about QB in 2015, same with Phantom Dust and Scalebound...

Yes but they wouldn't have just planned an expo like Sony by coincidence, if there is one it would be in response to the Playstation event and as such couldn't be that big because theres no way they could organize something like that in like 2 months.

Can't be big. I doubt they'd be able to organize anything substantial in such a short time frame.

Who said they were trying to organise something in a short time frame? These things take time to plan because you need to have developers get builds to show off or make trailers... if they're doing an event, I bet it was the plan all along

alterno69

Banned
A thing yes but nothing as big as Playstation Experience
I have friends travelling from Mexico to the Playstation Experience, i'm also really tempted to go, sounds like a really thought out event.

If MS is reacting to that then they should just stay quiet and plan something for next year instead.

The difference is that MS always had a Gamescom presence, it was just bigger this year.

a-chance.gif

Pretty weird though. We'll see what'll come out of it, not expecting much.

blakep267

they probably don't need to have it be as big as Sonys. they could easily do like a warehouse thing and show off next years games. Fable legends, halo 5 mp, maybe a hands on quantum break, etc

Who said they were trying to organise something in a short time frame? These things take time to plan because you need to have developers get builds to show off or make trailers... if they're doing an event, I bet it was the plan all along

So they just happened to plan an Xbox centric expo for the first time ever that just happened to fall nicely into the same timeframe as the first time ever Playstation expo? Doesn't really sound likely at all. Hence they either A, don't have one, or B, it is small scale as in the most they could plan within 2 months.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member

Gears of War collection! I can feel it!

BELIEVE

The difference is that MS always had a Gamescom presence, it was just bigger this year.

How do you know they didnt always have an event planned for the end of the year? Phil Spencer said they had a lot of games planned for next year, its not like he suddenly found out all these games were coming his platform.

So they just happened to plan an Xbox centric expo for the first time ever that just happened to fall nicely into the same timeframe as the first time ever Playstation expo? Doesn't really sound likely at all. Hence they either A, don't have one, or B, it is small scale as in the most they could plan within 2 months.

We have no idea how big this event is, nor have I said it will be the same size as the Sony event, it will most likely be a smaller but that doesnt mean they started planning it just because Sony have their expo.

MS have always done the X events, back in the day they were in September ish with their own press conference, last year they did it in early November before XB1 launch, which was a smaller preview event for XB1 launch, they've always done an event it just wasnt high profile and perhaps this year they've decided to change it a bit

bombshell

Gamescom is a known entity, so there's no need to announce anything far in advance because it's expected.

JaggedSac

I could see that, a small event to talk about Gears collection. Shinobi talked about it so I think the official announcement is not that far.

Yeah, that definitely seems to be how these leaks are occurring. Some marketing folks are spilling beans.

wildfire

Banned
The article was entirely about Keighly and it was far more interesting than the rumor itself.

At first I wasn't getting the recognition of Keighly putting money into the project. That is part of the job of being a producer. Not most of them but enough to say it isn't noteworthy. But the fact he is finding most if not all of it is very impressive and says top me this is a huge personal project for him.

In spite of the few times he can be a shill my respect for him has jumped up quite a bit because he still loves gaming and is willing to put a lot into making something special.

I hope his grasp matches his ambition because he can take a huge hit if these awards are still deemed to be clowny.

BadWolf

The article was entirely about Keighly and it was far more interesting than the rumor itself.

At first I wasn't getting the recognition of Keighly putting money into the project. That is part of the job of being a producer. Not most of them but enough to say it isn't noteworthy. But the fact he is finding most if not all of it is very impressive and says top me this is a huge personal project for him.

In spite of the few times he can be a shill my respect for him has jumped up quite a bit because he still loves gaming and is willing to put a lot into making something special.

I hope his grasp matches his ambition because he can take a huge hit if these awards are still deemed to be clowny.

I'm curious to see how it till turn out since now he has a say in how cringe worthy it will be right?

thuway

I want this console war to go into parody territory. It would be incredible to see Phil Spencer invade the PlayStation Experience Keynote with NWO Music.

jbug617

Banned
My guess they will have a location in Vegas where people can play some games. I don't expect any new announcements other than some indies. If anything MS might announcement during the show.

What does Xbox even have coming out before September 2015 besides 3rd party and some indies? Haven't heard about much in the pipeline for those months so this event could bolster that period if true.

Top Bottom