• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 Reviews Thread

LiK

The Guardian 5/5

There are some hangovers from previous iterations. Far Cry 4 occasionally boxes players into a style of play they may not appreciate in a couple of story quests – stealth missions, for example, in which being spotted is an instant fail – and a lot of the game’s best equipment is off-limits for far too long.

But Far Cry 4 truly shines in the almost bacchanalian sense of freedom it bestows on the player as they traverse through its environment. In Kyrat you have the ability to go anywhere and do pretty much anything – much as Pagan Min would advocate. Here, the only pact you need keep is that with your conscience. God help you.

Joystiq - 4.5/5

There's a staggering number of adventures to extract from Far Cry 4, whether you chase the ones laid out by the game explicitly, or the ones that develop naturally as you take in the sights. It's another interesting and absorbing world to fall into, shoot through, burn and then guide to new beginnings. Far Cry 4 may have installed a despot, but it's still the undisputed king of the open-world shooter.

GamesRadar - 4/5

Dodgy though the plot may be, Ajay’s struggle to make sense of his inheritance suits a game that’s battling for a place in a world handed down to it by Far Cry 3 and other open-world action franchises. The result is hard to score because, that whiff of over-familiarity aside, the failings are easy enough to side-step - all you need do is head off the Golden Path. But the best open-worlders are those that balance their emergent odds and ends against a strong narrative thrust. Without a story as breathtaking as those forested vales and icy crags, Far Cry 4 rings a little hollow, and doesn't fully achieve the spiritual heights this series is capable of.

CVG - 9

This is probably the best that Far Cry has ever been. And that's saying something.

✔ The scale of the environment is stunning to behold and interactive with.
✔ Consistent surprises mean it's impossible to ease into a predictable routine.
✖ Competitive multiplayer is functional and nothing more. Disappointing.
✖ Some missions are overly linear, at odds with expansiveness elsewhere.

Destructoid - 9

Far Cry 4 could have all of the multiplayer elements stripped away and it would still be a very strong game. If you enjoyed its predecessor and didn't grow tired of Ubisoft Montreal's open world formula, you'll have a blast living the experience again.

Gamecentral - 9

In Short: It may not bring many new ideas to the table but this is a hugely enjoyable open world shooter, with the best co-op options in the genre.

Pros: Fantastic open world environment that’s a pleasure to explore, especially with the great vehicles and fun weapons. Excellent co-op and interesting story branching.

Cons: Very similar structure and features to Far Cry 3. None of the characters are sympathetic and some may cause offence. Hunting certainly will if you love animals.

Eurogamer - 8

Far Cry 4 does all the things that its predecessor did and more - more weapons, more vehicles, more modes, more ground to cover - so if all you're looking for is a big old wide open space to tear up with a friend, go forth and make merry with mortar. That said, more does not necessarily mean better, and the truth is that the wilds of Kyrat simply aren't as beguiling as the Rook Islands were. Far Cry 4 is well worth a visit, but it's more a backpacker's delight than a five-star island paradise.

Videogamer - 8

And there can be no doubt. Far Cry 4 is a superb Skinner box, staving off monotony with constant upgrades, and it's so expertly crafted to appeal to baser instincts, so rewarding of you embracing them, that there's a strong chance you'll miss the broader point that all of what you're doing is utterly despotic. Like, say, a dictator might. A lot of games are about killing. Far Cry is about hunting. They're not the same thing, and it is as disquieting as it is enjoyable.

Gamespot - Review in Progress

IGN - Review in Progress

PSNation - Review in Progress

Good reviews. 8/10 here from Dutch website http://www.xgn.nl/far-cry-4-review

so far so good.
anxiously optimistic about this one.

Joystiq
There's one more twist in Far Cry 4: By finding and gazing at ancient paintings (thangkas), you can enter Shangri-La, here depicted as an ailing utopia corrupted by demons. You relive the life of Kalinag, a Hindu warrior, across a handful of missions that gradually escalate – much like the main campaign – from stealth into open aggression. The unique religious inspiration and bright otherworldliness of Shangri-La makes it a worthy sidequest, especially with a spectral tiger as ally.

Destructoid
The map most certainty does not have a cheap feel to it -- you can see for what feels like miles, and it's almost all accessible.

Superb: A hallmark of excellence. There may be flaws, but they are negligible and won't cause massive damage to what is a supreme title.

Vuze

Sounds good. Tempted to pick it up, but will wait for PC performance reports... sad reality with Ubi games.

iNvid02

8/10 from videogamer
http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/far_cry_4_review.html

edit:
LLShC.gif

MMaRsu

Banned
Fun game but a lot like FC3. Got it!

Should be a 7.5 for offering no innovation, doing the same as in previous games, too many filler bullshit quests.

Story is good and the freedom to take on missions your way is great.

Thats what I think by looking at the footage.

eznark

Banned
Can't wait to read VanOrd's hand wringing over the story. I assume it's vanord that is doing the gamespot review?

From the gamestop review in progress:
The oft-maligned Far Cry 3 story is a classic when compared to Far Cry 4's mess of embarrassing stereotypes, abysmal dialogue, and contradictory themes.

At least the gameplay sounds fun.

Palpable

How does it run on PS4? I have every FC game on PC, but now my rig is dated (4 years) and I don't plan to upgrade it just yet. Plus, I like adding to my trophy collection.

Fliesen

This is gonna be the game i'll have my brother get me for christmas.

I loved FarCry 3's open world, even though it ruined the pace of the game - same with Shadows of Mordor. If i can level ahead of the game by picking flowers and shooting birds, i'll sure as shit going to do that.

Can't wait!

Wasn't planning to get this because of Ubisoft, but just realised I'm getting a code for it with my 970... Oh well, really enjoyed 3. I'll probably wait until my Christmas holidays to play it anyway, gives me time to savour Gta v.

RamBoleyn

Banned
Speaking as someone who greatly enjoyed the shoddy PS3 version of FC3, I can’t wait to essentially have more of the same on my beastly new PC.

Just not again in two years’ time, eh Ubisoft?

jonno394

Seeing as I've never played a Far Cry game before I can probably add .5 or 1 to each of the scores seeing as most mention it does nothing new for the series.

Can't wait to pick this up.

Top Bottom