• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who needs games: PlayStation 4's first year [EUROGAMER]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mocoworm

A summary of the PS4's first year, ending with the quote below. How do you feel about this?

It's a lengthy article. Click the link below to read it in FULL

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-15-who-needs-games-playstation-4s-first-year

And so we find PS4 facing Christmas with one of the weakest exclusive line-ups on record, and a third-party slate that's not much better. PS4's best games, from Shadow of Mordor to Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls, can almost without exception be played on PS3. True new-generation games like Batman: Arkham City and The Witcher 3 have retreated into 2015 - and a good thing too, if the shambles that is the one exception, Assassin's Creed Unity, is anything to go by. The rest are remasters. Once again: why have we bought these machines?

Even allowing for DriveClub, and PSN's ups and downs (mostly downs), and those damned rubber sticks, Sony has had a great year. PlayStation 4 has had a great year. But PlayStation 4 owners haven't, not really. We've done our part: bought the machines in good faith and persuaded ourselves that those extra frames per second, those extra lines of resolution, are really worth it. It's getting hard to keep that up. The PS4 must be the most successful console without a killer app there's ever been, but its momentum can't last forever, its feelgood factor has worn off, and its opponent has got its act together. Sony - and all your partners - it's over to you.

Very happy with my remasters since I hadn't played the games beforehand anyway. Very happy with my crossgen games since they are of a higher quality. Very happy with the fantastic exclusives I have.

Maledict

What an utter load of nonsense - I expect more from euro gamer.

I've been playing games all year on mine. Either exclusives, or the best versions of multi-platforms. That's why I bought it.

Projection, how does that work? Hate when people use 'we' to universalise their opinions. It shows a lack of confidence.

Anyway, I don't disagree with his major point, the line up has been rather sparse this year. However, it has been enough for me with better things on the horizon. Very much enjoyed Shadow of Mordor and Infamous. I think the end of year line up: Dragon Age, Far Cry 4 and GTA V is solid enough as well.

The animosity towards Sony from the anglo-saxon press has been tremendous ever since the PS2 dominated the market. Is it a case of cheering for the home player? Seriously, every issue that plagued MS was -and is, in some cases- obfuscated, while ever misstep of Sony lends itself to a formidable scrutiny.

V_Ben

Banned
Sony ended last gen so strong that something had to give. I use my PS4 almost every day for smaller titles, but yeah. Not many exclusives yet. That'll change next year.

Maledict

The animosity towards Sony from the anglo-saxon press has been tremendous ever since the PS2 dominated the market. Is it a case of cheering for the home player? Seriously, every issue that plagued MS was -and is, in some cases- obfuscated, while ever misstep of Sony lends itself to a formidable scrutiny.

I honestly don't understand it. I mean, it's a literal fact that the PS4 has more games than the XBO. The list floating around shows that very handily - so why this narrative? Why these ridiculous articles?

Kyoufu

So that article is implying that PS4 has no games. Meanwhile, I've been swimming in them ever since August and come Tuesday I'll be drowning.

NHale

The shambles that is AC: Unity.

Remember me which score Eurogamer gave this game?

Considering Oli Welsh is the new Editor-in-Chief I would think he would have known better.

Oni Jazar

I've been loving my PS4 as it plays the best versions of every multi-platform game (sans pc). That's a good enough reason to get one.

Why play games like Diablo 3 or TLOU or AC4 or Alien or BF4 on anything but a PS4

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I honestly don't understand it. I mean, it's a literal fact that the PS4 has more games than the XBO. The list floating around shows that very handily - so why this narrative? Why these ridiculous articles?

Because by telling us there are no games on the PS4 it suggests there are more games on the XB1. I haven't seen one article about 'no games' for the XB1 and yet it has less games than the PS4.

I just had a lot of fun with my PS4. I don't need exclusive games to have fun, just good games. I only own one home console though and it is where I play most of the time (the only exception is my FTL box... My iPad I mean).

Agree with the article. PS4 has the weakest exclusive line-up in year 1 of any PS consoles. Sony really dropped the ball this year. Also, this gen is taking off really slow, so many delays, game launch problems, PSN not working like it should, missing OS features, titles that are not ready, ports of old gen. I hope it doesn't mean the current cycle will be as long or god forbid even longer than last.

PS4 has no game

ps4hasnogame1buy1.png

FranXico

It is ripe with exaggeration about "lack of games", and Ollie sounds angry that people still choose to buy PS4s, even with less exclusives.

Sure, the PS4 has less AAA exclusives right now, but it already does have a very diverse and interesting games library. Should I feel guilty for finding it an attractive console for that?

Reading through it, I get confused with the reality Ollie is trying to portray. For example, plenty of people in my friend's list split their racing time between FH2 and DC and appreciate both games for different reasons.

I have always (well, since 2007) been under the impression that most of the EG staff has a pro-Xbox/anti-PS bias. This editorial cements this notion for me.

Exclusives don't move consoles unless it's big selling IP like Halo , Gears , UC or GT .
Seem even the gaming media don't get that people want to play better version of there games the love like FIFA , COD , AC etc etc .
That plus new system better OS wise along with other features .
Truth is i have not played my PS4 much but that all going to change come XMAS time when GG comes out .

Sophia

I'm not sure what kind of logic they're using in regards to PS3/PS4 cross-generation titles. The whole point of getting such titles is because the experience is better on the PS4. One of the big draws of Shadow of Mordor and Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition is that specific features have been reduced in scope or scale for the last generation versions. Surely that alone justifies not simply writing them off so easily?

That said, I do agree with the census that Sony has dropped the ball slightly in regards to big name and/or exclusive titles for this holiday season. Microsoft and Nintendo have done much better this year. I'm still using the console a lot, however. My gaming PC is out of commission at the moment, and features such as Share Play, streaming, and Remote Play are a pretty big draw for me.

It's kind of funny because I remember 7 years ago this was the mantra with PS3 too and the PS3's lineup in it's first year or so craps on the PS4's.

Sorral

My 1TB HDD on my ps4 is full of games and objectively it has more games than X1 yet we get these kinds of articles nowadays.

True new-generation games like Batman: Arkham City and The Witcher 3 have retreated into 2015

Amazing.

PrawnyNZ

Very happy PS4 owner here. Games like Diablo are magic for me (non-PC gamer), and even the remasters have been great despite already playing most on PS3. Got GTA V next week.
Thanks to PS+ played some good indies as well.
No regrets buying in the first year 😄

It is ripe with exaggeration about "lack of games", and Ollie sounds angry that people still choose to buy PS4s, even with less exclusives.

Sure, the PS4 has less AAA exclusives right now, but it already does have a very diverse and interesting games library. Should I feel guilty for finding it an attractive console for that?

Reading through it, I get confused with the reality Ollie is trying to portray. For example, plenty of people in my friend's list split their racing time between FH2 and DC and appreciate both games for different reasons.

I have always (well, since 2007) been under the impression that most of the EG staff has a pro-Xbox/anti-PS bias. This editorial cements this notion for me.

AAA? So Xbox One has Sunset and Horizon this fall. PS4 has Little Big Planet and Driveclub. MCC is a previous gen port, same as GTA V. Am I missing something here? Where are all these XB games? Utter nonsense.

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
I own a ps4, and totally agree. I've hadde fun with my ps4, but game wise Sony have kind of dropped the ball. They've been saved by indies and third parties, and are still coasting on their stronger public image and goodwill that MS gave them on a silver platter. MS has a way better exclusive lineup by now.

Sony have also been quite slow at improving the bare bones OS and features, and there's been a lot of problems with psn.

It really is kind of baffling the success the ps4 is having.

cheezcake

Because in this context people are talking about AAA first party exclusives for the console. Not Tour de France, putty squad, pinball arcade and whatever else fluffs up that list.

I really wish I picked up a Wii U instead of a PS4 and just got a PS4 post bloodborne release.

Sendou

http://whoareeurogamerbiasedtoward.tumblr.com/

That said I don't think he's that wrong. Someone mentioned indies but even then which one of those are exclusive for PS4? I'm just thinking when you buy your new powerful console you aren't looking forward to playing games you could have been playing on your PS3 as well. Thinking about games that are both lookers and high quality games there just doesn't appear to be (too m)any. Which will probably change sometime around next year hopefully but right now not owning the console seems like a good decision.

Because by telling us there are no games on the PS4 it suggests there are more games on the XB1. I haven't seen one article about 'no games' for the XB1 and yet it has less games than the PS4.

Well this article appeared today because it's PS4 anniversary. I hardly think it's part some larger conspiracy against PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom