• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA CFO: XBO Pricing Strategy Catching up to PS4, expects 25M PS4+XB1 after holidays

statham

The Xbox One is "catching up quickly" to the PlayStation 4 in terms of worldwide sales, according to Electronic Arts CFO Blake Jorgensen. What's helping Microsoft close the gap is the recent $50 price drop and the value-focused Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty bundles currently available, he said today.

"Clearly, Sony has jumped out to a lead with a great console and I think a great pricing strategy. But Microsoft is catching up quickly," Jorgensen said today during a presentation at the 2014 UBS Global Technology Conference. "And pricing actions that are taking place, particularly within this Christmas season, driven by Microsoft around reductions plus a lot of bundled software, I think will continue to help pull the consumer into the new consoles."

"Microsoft is catching up quickly" -- Blake Jorgensen

Jorgensen predicted that, after the holiday shopping season ends, there will be "north of 25 million" combined Xbox One and PS4 systems in the market. It is unclear how many are in the market currently, but it's believed to be above 15 million (10 million PS4s and at least 5 million Xbox Ones).

more here
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-catching-up-quickly-to-ps4-ea-exec-says/1100-6423675/

Modedit: for the easily confused:

Jesus people.

Dude's saying the MS is catching up to Sony's PRICING STRATEGIES, not sales.

It's a sensationalist Gamespot headline, and it's a sensationalist thread title.

Ugh.

[/modedit]

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Whatever he is smoking....i want that as well.
Catching up would mean the One would have to outsell the PS4, which isnt the case.

d9b

Banned
I-dont-believe-you.gif

SerTapTap

Hm, to believe Sony or EA, when both are saying things that benefit them (health of Xbox One is extremely important to EA access not to mention multiplat sales in general). I'd believe them more if they meant US not worldwide.Isn't the $50 off thing US only, too?

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't know about that...

Overall though, it's good to see that Microsoft's changes are helping to improve the sales of the system. The Xbox One had some good games this year.

EA are saying this? Not surprised.

Friends forever.

The gap has been widening all year. Xbox One is pretty much dead everywhere other than the US and the UK.

Amir0x

Banned
His next tweet will be

"Xbox One at 10 million sold v. PS4 13 million sold, catching up!"

SO ACCURATE my guys

Well EA does have access with Xbox one and not PS4. I'm sure that has nothing to do with his opinion. Pure speculation on my part.

something like 15 mil ps4 -9 million xbones is probably about right

if xbox would have launched at 399 to begin with it would probably be about dead even, launching at 500 really screwed them

M.D

His next tweet will be

"Xbox One at 10 million sold v. PS4 13 million sold, catching up!"

SO ACCURATE my guys

I have a feeling the sort of statement he made after looking at the price drop and the recent statement from Microsoft without any real knowledge about the matter

I knew it was Statham as soon as i read the thread title. And i wish the EA guy would share whatever he's smoking... it would've been a bit credible if he was talking US, but he said worldwide... riiiight.

nynt9

How exactly is the Xbone catching up? To close the sales gap it would need to consistently sell more than the ps4 for several months, and it has yet to do so for a single month in almost a year.

onQ123

Funny how they use the future number giving by MS vs the old numbers from Sony to say that they are catching up lol.

pager99

Okay outselling ps4 for 2 weeks in us equals catching up, not really, it seems a lot of ppl are falling for this 'almost' 10 million shopped spiel

something like 15 mil ps4 -9 million xbones is probably about right

if xbox would have launched at 399 to begin with it would probably be about dead even, launching at 500 really screwed them

lol 9 million not even close at best 7million, that's including the sales bump after the price cut.

truth411

I think the article may have quoted him out of context, he probably ment in the U.S. the Xbox is catching up because of the price drop and bundles.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
EA & UBISOFT sure have been working to make it so, so I am sure they're happy if this is indeed true.

quetz67

Banned
So they catch up worldwide with a $50 price drop in the US? 2 million lead for XB1 in November AND December NPD confirmed!

I think the sales gurus on GAF follow these sales numbers more closely than some of the big dogs at these publishers.

The price cut might close the gap in NA, but it should be no surprise to WW gap is widening.

Wonders if the talk of PS4 stagnating as of late is true. Maybe those people saying Sony has shipped 16 mil don't know what they are talking about

Kuni

He must have meant US.... or weekly or something The only way this would work is if MS has sold an extra 5 mill somewhere :p

nampad

As an EA executive, he should better hope so after getting into bed with Microsoft.

The Xbox One has some momentum now but I don't think it will catch up significantly. Most of the momentum is only in the US while Sony dominates everywhere else. And in the end, it is not like Sony can't drop their price themselves. Yes, they would lose a part of their margin but on the other hand gain marketshare, which is quite important in the early stages of a generation (network effects).

Top Bottom