• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Experience ‘Notebook’ teaser hints at new David Jaffe game

Sony published a new teaser video for next week’s PlayStation Experience event today, and all signs point to it being related to The Bartlet Jones Supernatural Detective Agency, a game company founded by Twisted Metal and God of War creator David Jaffe alongside Nick Kononelos.

The video, dubbed “Notebook,” shows someone drawing in a notebook and ripping up the pages. Before the last page is ripped, at about 18 seconds in, a URL to a website can be found: bartletjones.com/haunted.

http://gematsu.com/2014/11/playstation-experience-notebook-teaser-hints-new-david-jaffe-action-ip

Notebook Teaser

Jaffe eating something

From Jaffe's Twitter
those expecting a horror game from us (much as we'd love to make one 1 day) will be disappointed. Plus I'd hate 2 go against the amazing PT!

We just like to make fun videos! Hope y'all dig what we are working on tho!!!

Playstation just released a new trailer for the Playstation Experience just called the Notebook Trailer, it seemingly has nothing in it but for one frame (0:19) there is a link to a website

The description of the video is "Many surprises await at PlayStation Experience 2014."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBBeZ9WNY9c

jUpyT6hWeFiSr.PNG

*screencap courtesy of Gaf member Jimmyfenix

Well the website leads to here

http://bartletjones.com/haunted/

For those who don't know, the crazy guy in the video is indeed David Jaffe, director of the Twisted Metal series and GoW 1 and 2. He's no longer at Sony he just started his own company, here http://blog.bartletjones.com

-from Gematsu http://gematsu.com/2014/11/playstation-experience-notebook-teaser-hints-new-david-jaffe-action-ip
Further investigation brings us to the Bartlet Jones’ LinkedIn page, which reveals the studio—comprised of former Sony Computer Entertainment America staff—to be working on a new action IP.

The Bartlet Jones Supernatural Detective Agency is a new game development studio located in the heart of San Diego’s Gaslamp District. The company is headed up by David Jaffe (God of War, Twisted Metal) and Nick Kononelos (SCEA) and the agency’s Technical Director is longtime industry vet and rockstar programmer Michael Riccio (SCEA, High Moon Studios). Our company is fully funded and is currently creating our first game- an action title based on an original IP. We are actively searching for talented teammates to join the agency (especially programmers with Unity and/or online experience).

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2014/11/playstat...new-david-jaffe-action-ip#erx3c8yzFblejd07.99

So its safe to assume David Jaffe's new game will be at PSX, but there might be more to the video released but I haven't examined it, get on it detective Gaf!

Xater

Yep, looks like we will finally see what that game of Jaffe will be.

Some paranormal investigation game.

I'm glad to see David Jaffe back in the limelight and with a new game to unveil. Hopefully it's something I can be excited for!

Jaffe seems kind of crazy but he makes awesome games. The last Twisted Metal was hugely underrated.

Can't wait to see what's coming next.

Carl

Nice work detectives.

Will be good to see another Jaffe game, but that teaser doesn't interest me much

Teletraan1

Banned
I thought this was going to be a game version of the movie "The Notebook" made by David Jaffe. I was there day one if it was the case. Not too interested in this other project.

Ghost Detective game? I guess kind of like a better, more cartoony version of Murdered: Soul Suspect, maybe? That'd be kinda cool.

I was thinking it might be Ghostbusters-Esque. Who knows. I'm super excited for this. I bought PS3 Twisted Metal. David Jaffe is awesome.

Endo Punk

Jaffe seems kind of crazy but he makes awesome games. The last Twisted Metal was hugely underrated.

Can't wait to see what's coming next.

Twisted Metal truly was a gem of a game, played so well and a blast in splitscreen and the 10% of the time it worked online. Just needed more dev time, hopefully Jaffe gets his due this time. And maybe given the chance to revisit Twisted Metal again, sequel or port. Would be the most awesome mp experience on ps4.

SSReborn

Didn't Jafee say he was on a whole indie vibe now? Anyways would be great to see Twisted Metal PS3 was actually a really well designed game so I want to see what else he can bring to the table.

Here's what Jaffe said about it last year

"We started pitching the game about a year ago and we got a lot of interest and a lot of pitch meetings," he said. "It's in a genre that is well represented in the marketplace, but we have some ideas at the gameplay level and the conceptual IP level that we think are different and exciting and fresh. The publisher we signed with was great at saying, instead of like, 'Here's this money, ship the game in 18 months or two years,' they are very prototype friendly. That's what I love. Build a team and find your game."

Jaffe likens the process to writing a screenplay; they're fleshing out ideas, incubating concepts for six to seven months to see what shakes loose, he said.

There were other possibilities, publishers who were willing to sign the game and have it delivered in a few years, but Jaffe and the team wanted more time to play with their ideas.

The publisher they signed with had a real sense of "understanding the game making process, especially when you are doing something in a well-represented genre," he said. "It's not like we're reinventing the wheel, but we are putting our own spin on it.

"When you're [making a game] in a genre with a lot of competition, you need that time to find the voice and spirit of the game you're making."

"I can't tell you where it is going to end up," he said. "I can tell you it is designed from the ground up, very much like when we did God of War, to be a franchise with legs and a brand that we think has a lot of potential, but it's always important to keep your eyes on the prize and stay focused on the first bullet out of the chamber.

"I wouldn't say it's a grand huge epic game like Skyrim, but I will say when people play it, hopefully they will have a huge amount of fun and immediately see it is a portal into a much bigger universe in terms of IP and story and character. But the first thing they play may not necessarily, it might, but it may not necessarily be some big epic adventure. It's more of a universe we're designing and building multiple things within it."

Is it more God of War or Calling All Cars, I ask, referencing a huge game he made and a small arcade title he created.

"It's definitely not Calling All Cars," he said. "It's not a little small arcadey game. And there are absolutely, there are plans and potential for us to do in scope the level God of War style experiences and that may be the first thing we launch the brand with, but I don't know yet."

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/20/47...of-war-is-working-on-his-new-game-and-hunting

Please be PS4 and not Vita. I'm expecting a minimal graphics indie type game. Hope to be wrong . I want more AAA IP. But hey, let them create what they want.

slider

I'm probably mis-remembering but I quite liked the initial "reveal" if Jaffe's new studio. Was pretty cool so looking forward to seeing something.

Wabba

For some reason i got a serious Twin Peaks feeling seeing Jaffe eating the cake. I can´t wait for the Playstation Experience.

Top Bottom