• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Investor Relations 2014 : Games & Network Mid-term Business Direction

So, a few days ago, Sony had its Investor Relations Day 2014, where each division talked about their business overview, financial expectations and short-to-mid-term strategy moving forward for Sony as a whole. We've had threads talking about Sony in general, but not so much focusing on what SCEI and SEN are doing specifically, so I figured I start a thread on it :

Anyway, for those who wants to read the slides or listen to Andrew House's presentation/Q&A directly, here's the links:

http://www.irwebcasting.com/20141125/4/b81075ec7f/mov/main/index.html
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/info/irday2014electronics/GandNS_E.pdf

Anyway, there's a few interesting tidbits:

Regional Sales:
The contribution from Americas/Europe+ME are pretty well-balanced.
Japan/Asia is what it is, but it's noted that Asia is showing significant growth as a market.

Financial Performance:
Profit increase due to higher PS4 sales and higher profit margin from Vita2K models.
Software side is roughly flat, with negative impact from 'delayathons' which are offset from all that PS+ $$$.
And they're making investments in PSN/infrastructure/network.

Anyway, probably the most interesting part of the presentation brings us to Andrew House's presentation of their :

SCEI/SEN Mid-Term Business Strategy:

Strategy I : Retain & Expand Engaged Playstation User Base
a. Hardware :

- Add New Features (SharePlay,etc)
- Expand Ecosystem (Morpheus)
- Reduce Cost ( Higher profit margin + price cuts)
b. Software & Content
- Strengthen Engagement of Core Audience w/Core Titles
- Acquire Casuals with Family-friendly Content
c. Services
- Increase customer base beyond hardware limits with stuff like :
- Playstation Now (increase the availability, content and consumer proposition like sub model)
- Playstation Vue (to revolutionise TV exp.combining live TV+DVR with cloud-based TV)
d. Market Opportunities
- New Markets : China & Latin America
- Evolution of Mature Markets :
eg. Middle East (4x faster adoption of PS4 than any other consoles)
Germany (PC market transitioning to console, now Sony's 2nd biggest European market for first time in history)

Strategy II : Increase ARPPU (average revenue per paying user) and drive ancillary revenue
ARPPU as the new core metric of business success
- SCEI is moving away from the generic software/hardware tie ratio as a core business success metric, and instead looking at average revenue per paying user.

How does SCEI intend to increase ARPPU?
a. PS+

- Paywall = $$$$. Paywalling Online MP = Increased PS+ subscription 4x since PS4 launch.
- Sony's strategy with PS+:
a. increasing presence of online titles to drive subscription (no details on what's the approach to this. Develop more MP games? More MP-game partnerships like Destiny? )
b. Improve IGC offerings
c. Prioritised Alpha/Beta, etc.
d. Enhance community features of PS+ (looking into making PS+ more appealing to non-gamers)

b. Ancillary Revenue from TV, Music, Video, stuff.
- Curated Music Playlist based on your game library (presumably Music Unlimited feature)
- TVTVTV (stuff like Powers)
- More 3rd-party video/music apps like Netflix, etc.

Financial Target:
FY2017:
- Increase revenue by approximately 10~20% over the next 3 years.
- Increase current operating margin of 2.7% to 5-6% over the next 3 years

What I was able to take away from this all is that, in general, Playstation has a surprisingly conservative overview of their business growth :
- Business growth in short-to-mid-term will be largely driven from their existing pillars, which are hardware/games.
- Key focus is increasing engagement with their console userbase, and acquire a broader userbase with stuff like different portfolio of games, and stuff.
- PSNow/Vue are closer to being more ancillary parts of the business, and in the short-term is not expected to be any sort of real profit generator. The main aim for these services is to look into expanding the brand/service/offerings to people outside the console-buying audience.
- The broad idea is as described, 'Bigger, Broader, Better.' By making their existing things better/bigger, they expand the revenue stream from their current userbase and continue to gain more of their core user base. On the side, they have 'broader' business goals with ancillary/experiments like Vue/Now/Morpheus which are their aim to make the Playstation brand broader than what they currently are right now, to engage audiences that historically never bought consoles, etc.

Edit : Added Q&A stuff.

Q&A Tidbits:

PS4 expected operating margins vs PS2 peak operating margins:

In the PS2 era, peak opms hit double digits, yet Sony’s forecasting only 5-6% opm by year 4 of the PS4.
Reason is due to shift in business structure from purely physical disc to a more complex margin structure with networks. The increased complexity of the e-commerce business models (which now has F2P, microtransactions,etc) are leading Sony to take a conservative outlook in terms of margins and balance their planning around a conservative profit margin rather than aim for the heights of the PS2 era margins.

(Clarification: It’s actually potentially a negative impact, moving from PS2 era royalty model to the current e-commerce model)

PS Vue Target Audience & Branding:

Not purely a Sony-invested play, budgeting has been balanced with other content providers. No hard numbers revealed, but it has a significantly lower break-even subscriber count than most would guess.

PS Vue is aimed to be complementary to something like Netflix. Prime target for Vue are ‘highly engaged PS users who are major consumers of all forms of entertainment.’ User data shows that said audiences are major consumers of PayTV services in addition to stuff like Netflix, and that is the aim of PSVue is to target that, leveraging innovations in their platform/service over PayTV

Playstation branding was a deliberate decision. Based on consumer research that came back stating that PS-brand was the best option. Will be expanded beyond PS-platforms, first being the iPad.

Our target clients for PSVue will be Neilsen-rated devices, highly important for advertisers. The Playstation brand is elastic enough to be more than just ‘hardware’ and broaden to be that of a service brand.

PS4 Console Life Cycle:

In terms of the console life cycle of the platform, I think it’s extremely hard to judge in the first year on the platform, as to whether this will be smaller, bigger or in line with previous life cycles. What I can say is that all of the early indicators have been extremely good. I’m sure you’ve seen yourself that sales of PlayStation 4 in its first year on the market are significantly outpacing those of PlayStation 2.

That being said, again in the spirit of taking a conservative and reasonable view of our business outlook, we are very conscious of the fact that in contrast to say, the PlayStation 2 lifecycle, consumers are now faced with a panoply of different choices and devices on which they can play games. We have to feel that that will have some impact on the life cycle overall.

Again. Not giving hard numbers, but the best guidance that I think I can offer based on the landscape that we see right now, is that we have high hopes that the PlayStation 4 will exceed the overall life cycle of PlayStation 3. It remains a significant question mark as to whether this will approach or exceed that of PlayStation 2

PSNow’s Future & Risk of Cannibalisation:

Within the plan of SCEI, PSNow is a very small part of the overall view of Playstation. It’s not a large contributor, either in topline or bottomline. We think that it will take time to scale, and more of an attempt to pioneer a new way of playing games. Risk of cannibalisation is seen as small.

Although it’s currently being tested on PS-devices, the aim of PSNow is broaden the funnel and to make it available on non-console devices, to grow the pie overall and offset any small cannibalisation.

.Volatility of Game Business & Fluctuation of Profitability:

It’s true that there’s a lot of volatility in said business, but SCEI mentioned areas where they’ve made improvements in that regard to reduce volatility. He compared the launch year of PlayStation 3, with huge investments and negative performance, with the launch year of PlayStation 4, with all the R&D costs for the new platform. Due to the simpler archicture, SCEI was able to eliminate to a great extent the huge “bottoming out of the bottom line” seen in previous life cycles.

Sony intends to eliminate the roller coaster effect of profitability in the business, lowering the dips but still investing where necessary, particularly in the area of network services, and achieving stable profitability over the years.

PSVita (In Japan!):

Vita plays a far greater part of the PS ecosystem (IN JAPAN!). Publishers are seeing Vita as a more stable and attractive business for them, with opportunity to recoup easily with lower investment cost.

Music Unlimited Trivia:

There’s more MU subscribers on Playstation devices than there are on Android. :p

Xando

- Evolution of Mature Markets :
Germany (PC market transitioning to console, now Sony's 2nd biggest European market for first time in history)[/B]
Yeah i read House talking about the transition the other day and it definitely feels like a lot of my friends here in germany going for consoles(PS4) this time around.

Do we have any data how quick germany is transitioning?

spwolf

looking at their estimated operating profit from Gaming for this year, looks like the expect to lower the hardware price - I guess thats already done by bundles, but it could be probably even more In any case, their full year operating profit isnt much bigger than their Q1.

Arxisz

Interesting information. Curious to see if they can achieve the growth they are aiming for. Good luck Sony.

zsidane

I'm glad to see not only the Middle East market is performing well, but also Sony noticing! Hope this means more smart localised content like with what EA and Konami have done with their football games.

By the way, did either Konami or EA comment about their experiment?

Amon-Lau

That middle east tidbit is interesting, didn't think the thirst for next gen was that much in demand here... =0

Vita is more profitable which is good. I just hope its also profitable for real.
And that in future people wouldnt just shit on it ; _ ;

Sony's gaming division seems to be doing great. Its so annoying that Sony is doomed just because of other divisions.

I don't like this.

It is merely playing catch up. This was the Xbox Live strategy 12 years ago. As long as their additional offerings stay solid (free PS+ games, additional discounts for plus members, etc.) I have no issue with this. Also, taking this route has made Xbox Live a better offering as well with GFG, so most folks are winning in this paradigm.

Vita is more profitable which is good. I just hope its also profitable for real.
And that in future people wouldnt just shit on it ; _ ;

Sony's gaming division seems to be doing great. Its so annoying that Sony is doomed just because of other divisions.

It's really only the mobile and tv division.

It's really only the mobile and tv division.

Even mobile isn't that bad, the loss are all paper loss due to a massive re-evaluation of the division's value.

Really, as long as the Xperia team stop having their heads in the cloud and dream of outperforming the Chinese OEMs at the mid-range, and keeping their attention focused on solely having a lean, profitable high-end Z range, they should be fine.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Strategy II : Increase ARPPU (average revenue per paying user) and drive ancillary revenue
ARPPU as the new core metric of business success
- SCEI is moving away from the generic software/hardware tie ratio as a core business success metric, and instead looking at average revenue per paying user.
I welcome our new microtransaction overlords.

Even mobile isn't that bad, the loss are all paper loss due to a massive re-evaluation of the division's value.

Really, as long as the Xperia team stop having their heads in the cloud and dream of outperforming the Chinese OEMs at the mid-range, and keeping their attention focused on solely having a lean, profitable high-end Z range, they should be fine.

Even if its only paper loss its still bad, because people will still say Sony is doomedzz.

Wasnt the Xperia losses because of failing in USA? Or was there more to that.

Wasnt the Xperia losses because of failing in USA? Or was there more to that.

zomgbbqwtf can probably answer this better ( and I may be wrong), but I think it's due to China.

Basically Sony's expected low-to-mid end range volume got utterly demolished by the rapid growth of Chinese OEMs that are eating up the share of the market that doesn't care to pay for expensive phones.

a. increasing presence of online titles to drive subscription

So a glimmer of hope for Warhawk?

I bolded my explanation because it wasn't elaborated beyond a passing sentence. The slides also showed only FIFA/Destiny as examples for said titles.

Since Japan is pretty much dead, which markets show significant growth in Asia?

Taiwan & Korea are two key SEA markets.

I would not be surprised if other markets like Singapore/Malaysia also showed significant growth. Anecdotally speaking, our region used to be "Piracy Land" where it can easily be said that 99% of the console install base here are all jailbroken consoles.

But because of the fact that latest consoles all have firmware updates, and difficulties in jailbreaking (3DS, Vita, etc), I saw many friends who previously would had said "waiting for jailbreak" just buy a console because they've resigned to the fact that the days of console piracy is gone.

me neither. Maybe they're looking at the F2P (Planet)side type MP games, and hopefully it won't put a dent in single-player productions.

F2P games aren't paywalled by PS+, so more F2P games do nothing to increase PS+ subscription.

Xando

China. Its the first generation that they've been allowed in.

I thought they haven't launched yet?

Taiwan & Korea are two key SEA markets.

I would not be surprised if other markets like Singapore/Malaysia also showed significant growth. Anecdotally speaking, our region used to be "Piracy Land" where it can easily be said that 99% of the console install base here are all jailbroken consoles.

But because of the fact that latest consoles all have firmware updates, and difficulties in jailbreaking (3DS, Vita, etc), I saw many friends who previously would had said "waiting for jailbreak" just buy a console because they've resigned to the fact that the days of console piracy is gone.

I see, thanks.

Sony knows what's up. PAL market is the key for success/growth going forward. MS & Nintendo made big mistake by prioritizing their home markets over EU/PAL market.
I agree, gaming is starting to become mainstream in mainland europe.

Asia is showing significant growth as a market.
New Markets : China & Latin America
Middle East (4x faster adoption of PS4 than any other consoles)
Germany (PC market transitioning to console, now Sony's 2nd biggest European market for first time in history)

Sony knows what's up. PAL market is the key for success/growth going forward. MS & Nintendo made big mistake by prioritizing their home markets over EU/PAL market.

TomShoe

Banned
Germany is Sony's 2nd biggest market for consoles now. Does this mean that they've overtaken the UK as far as PS4s sold, or just dollars spent?

Either way, having development in already established territories is only a positive thing. The US/UK are swing states, but Germany has been solidly blue for as long as I can remember.

EDIT: Misread.

RyoonZ

Banned
- Sony's strategy with PS+:
a. increasing presence of online titles to drive subscription (no details on what's the approach to this. Develop more MP games? More MP-game partnerships like Destiny? )
b. Improve IGC offerings
c. Prioritised Alpha/Beta, etc.
d. Enhance community features of PS+ (looking into making PS+ more appealing to non-gamers)

a = no no!
b = should be priority, where's my random Japanese game in Asia PS+ :(

Carl

Germany is Sony's 2nd biggest market for consoles now. Does this mean that they've overtaken the UK as far as PS4s sold, or just dollars spent?

Second biggest Euro market. Presumably it's still behind the UK

E: Beaten like other consoles in Germany.

wapplew

How many unit they sold in NA, UK, and Germany when they annouce 10m sold? Seems like other countries make up for a large portion of the 10m.
They didn't lie when they said Sony WW sale are strong.

A bit of extra stuff from the Q&A. I'll add it to the OP.

Q&A Tidbits:

PS4 expected operating margins vs PS2 peak operating margins:

In the PS2 era, peak opms hit double digits, yet Sony’s forecasting only 5-6% opm by year 4 of the PS4.

Reason is due to shift in business structure from purely physical disc to a more complex margin structure with networks. The increased complexity of the e-commerce business models (which now has F2P, microtransactions,etc) are leading Sony to take a conservative outlook in terms of margins and balance their planning around a conservative profit margin rather than aim for the heights of the PS2 era margins.

(Clarification: It’s actually potentially a negative impact, moving from PS2 era royalty model to the current e-commerce model)

PS Vue Target Audience & Branding:

Not purely a Sony-invested play, budgeting has been balanced with other content providers. No hard numbers revealed, but it has a significantly lower break-even subscriber count than most would guess.

PS Vue is aimed to be complementary to something like Netflix. Prime target for Vue are ‘highly engaged PS users who are major consumers of all forms of entertainment.’ User data shows that said audiences are major consumers of PayTV services in addition to stuff like Netflix, and that is the aim of PSVue is to target that, leveraging innovations in their platform/service over PayTV

Playstation branding was a deliberate decision. Based on consumer research that came back stating that PS-brand was the best option. Will be expanded beyond PS-platforms, first being the iPad.

Our target clients for PSVue will be Neilsen-rated devices, highly important for advertisers. The Playstation brand is elastic enough to be more than just ‘hardware’ and broaden to be that of a service brand.

PS4 Console Life Cycle:

In terms of the console life cycle of the platform, I think it’s extremely hard to judge in the first year on the platform, as to whether this will be smaller, bigger or in line with previous life cycles. What I can say is that all of the early indicators have been extremely good. I’m sure you’ve seen yourself that sales of PlayStation 4 in its first year on the market are significantly outpacing those of PlayStation 2.

That being said, again in the spirit of taking a conservative and reasonable view of our business outlook, we are very conscious of the fact that in contrast to say, the PlayStation 2 lifecycle, consumers are now faced with a panoply of different choices and devices on which they can play games. We have to feel that that will have some impact on the life cycle overall.

Again. Not giving hard numbers, but the best guidance that I think I can offer based on the landscape that we see right now, is that we have high hopes that the PlayStation 4 will exceed the overall life cycle of PlayStation 3. It remains a significant question mark as to whether this will approach or exceed that of PlayStation 2

PSNow’s Future & Risk of Cannibalisation:

Within the plan of SCEI, PSNow is a very small part of the overall view of Playstation. It’s not a large contributor, either in topline or bottomline. We think that it will take time to scale, and more of an attempt to pioneer a new way of playing games. Risk of cannibalisation is seen as small.

Although it’s currently being tested on PS-devices, the aim of PSNow is broaden the funnel and to make it available on non-console devices, to grow the pie overall and offset any small cannibalisation.

.Volatility of Game Business & Fluctuation of Profitability:

It’s true that there’s a lot of volatility in said business, but SCEI mentioned areas where they’ve made improvements in that regard to reduce volatility. He compared the launch year of PlayStation 3, with huge investments and negative performance, with the launch year of PlayStation 4, with all the R&D costs for the new platform. Due to the simpler archicture, SCEI was able to eliminate to a great extent the huge “bottoming out of the bottom line” seen in previous life cycles.

Sony intends to eliminate the roller coaster effect of profitability in the business, lowering the dips but still investing where necessary, particularly in the area of network services, and achieving stable profitability over the years.

PSVita (In Japan!):

Vita plays a far greater part of the PS ecosystem (IN JAPAN!). Publishers are seeing Vita as a more stable and attractive business for them, with opportunity to recoup easily with lower investment cost.

Music Unlimited Trivia:

There’s more MU subscribers on Playstation devices than there are on Android. :p

Xando

Germany is now Sonys 3rd biggest market overall, right?

Let's hope some of our local dev scene starts to make more console games (We have a lot of mobile/browser game devs).

Music Unlimited Trivia:
I wonder if we ever see a Spotify app on Playstation or if they think it takes too much away from MU.

btw I find this very interesting

igoXZoQp7oU2U.png

Sony never revealed regional or hardware.software breakdown for game division revenue before. Now we have an idea how much they are making from hardware/software,

FeiRR

Banned
I hope that the success in Germany translates into the neighbouring countries.

If your on Android and paying for a service not named Google Music All Access what is your deal. Which would explain MU's numbers

I subscribe to Spotify. Google Music doesn't have a desktop app and their mobile app is terrible. I quit after 2 months. Music Unlimited isn't even available here.

I hope that the success in Germany translates into the neighbouring countries.

I subscribe to Spotify. Google Music doesn't have a desktop app and their mobile app is terrible. I quit after 2 months. Music Unlimited isn't even available here.

the desktop app (chrome) version is bare bones sure (just has I'm feeling lucky to pick songs) There's some stand alone version coming for Mac (github user already made one months and months ago) and Windows at some point

Top Bottom