• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analogue NT ($500 HDMI NES) delayed again, now target Feb 2015

Chittagong

Gold Member
After initially announcing shipping during Summer, then delaying it with a promise to ship by Christmas, Analogue is now saying they are targeting February.

Analogue Nt Manufacturing Update

We are two thirds completed with the Analogue Nt’s production. We are currently overseeing enclosure manufacturing and finishing. The Analogue Nt’s enclosure goes through a multi step bead blasting finishing process. This aspect of production is one that requires outstanding attention to detail to perfection.

As we wrap up the final stage of manufacturing, we’ve run into a consistency issue during the enclosure finishing. To mitigate further delays - the Analogue team will be spending the holidays in China, from December to January. This allows us to personally oversee the final touches of each and every unit, to assure absolute perfection. Once the enclosures are verified and finished we’ll be ready for assembly and shipping.

Due to this unforeseen hurdle, the Analogue Nt will be shipping in February 2015.

The Analogue Nt is a very special product - one that we have invested a dramatic amount of love and care into developing and producing. Though there has been delays, as a small and passionate team, we are able to control the vision and quality of our product to a degree that larger companies are unable to.

Our excitement only continues to grow as we approach release day. We guarantee that the Nt will be beyond your expectations.

In other news: we have been implementing new and exciting features into the Analogue Nt.
Surprises that we have not shared until now.

Inside the Analogue Nt

The Analogue Nt is precision fabricated — manufacturing tolerances are less than 1/10mm. Take a look at how incredible it looks inside:

bfee57fca3f26c58377340891dee26537d05bccd

precision aluminum fabrication

e07d02d168deea5c18d97c11c7d8aff69d899d7c

gold plated, reinforced pins

Famicom Microphone Compatibility

The Analogue Nt is compatible with Famicom microphone games. You will find a 3.5mm audio input on the rear of the unit, where you will be able to accept a microphone for use with each of the original Famicom microphone games.

HDMI Adapter

There is one question we receive daily about the HDMI Adapter: “Does it function as well as the XRGB / Framemeister units?”

Yes.

The HDMI adapter is significantly superior to all of the pre-existing upscaling units available on the market - including the XRGB / Framemeister units.

The HDMI Adapter has a slew of incredible features and a video showcasing all of them will be out on December 17th. We cannot wait for you to see it.

Analogue Nt Motherboard

The Analogue Nt’s motherboard is as beautiful as the rest of the unit. The PCB is designed like a piece of art. It is constructed using custom materials, rarely, if ever seen in PCB manufacturing. We’ll be pulling a final board of the production line next week and we’ll have some pictures for you then. We cannot wait for you to see it.

95dbc8bd8a7b5efee9b4c94893fe5358532a445f

Essentially, they have pulled a Kickstarter without informing their customers they are doing one. They must have known in May that there is no way they will ship during the summer. This means customers have paid for their product nearly a year in advance - a dishonest practice in my books.

In some more encouraging news, they are promising to post pictures of the motherboard next week, and a video showing the image quality on 17 December - this will at least show us whether the product is in fact real now.

Occam

I love my RGB modded AV Famicom. Nothing beats the real thing.

(Was cheaper than $500, too.)

This looks like an extreme cash-grab.

Glowsquid

These cats sound shady as fuck

They are. I dunno if it's kosher to link to it, but there's a thread on NeoGeo dot com where the owner of Analogue gets tearen to shreds for the pricing vs other custom NES, as well as the fact they're cannibalizing actual Famicoms to make these.

Josh7289

That's fine by me. I would prefer that they delay it as long as they have to in order to make it as close to perfection as possible. The thing still looks amazing, and these new features are clearly making it even better without increasing the cost. I love the work that they're doing.

AegisScott

Neo Member
Essentially, they have pulled a Kickstarter without informing their customers they are doing one. They must have known in May that there is no way they will ship during the summer. This means customers have paid for their product nearly a year in advance - a dishonest practice in my books.

I don't think that's fair. Manufacturing is a whole weird nightmare realm that requires serious contacts and expertise. Its one of the reasons I very rarely back Kickstarters that have a big manufacturing component. To give you an example, I was recently talking to someone who's in charge of manufacturing a somewhat popular toy for the holidays. They were all set to be back in stock and were taking orders online when the ship the shipment was on started sinking. Now they won't be back in stock until February.

On top of that, it's possible the factory says "No problem, November is easy!" and then someone else comes along, writes a bigger check and all of a sudden your run is delayed by a month. There are endless complications when dealing with a new vendor.

Now, if customers did not know fully that they were pre-ordering, that's a different ballgame. But to say that they knew about the delay months in advance probably isn't true.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I don't think that's fair. Manufacturing is a whole weird nightmare realm that requires serious contacts and expertise. Its one of the reasons I very rarely back Kickstarters that have a big manufacturing component. To give you an example, I was recently talking to someone who's in charge of manufacturing a somewhat popular toy for the holidays. They were all set to be back in stock and were taking orders online when the ship the shipment was on started sinking. Now they won't be back in stock until February.

On top of that, it's possible the factory says "No problem, November is easy!" and then someone else comes along, writes a bigger check and all of a sudden your run is delayed by a month. There are endless complications when dealing with a new vendor.

Now, if customers did not know fully that they were pre-ordering, that's a different ballgame. But to say that they knew about the delay months in advance probably isn't true.

The difference is that these guys claimed in May that they will ship this summer. So they were at most three months away from their claimed ship date - they must have known that they would never make it. Then in August they said they would ship by Christmas, again three months away. Now, in November, they are saying they will ship in February - again, you guessed it, three months away.

I don't think the entire product is a scam as they have ran a decent, real business before. And I think the end product will be great. But I do think they have not been honest about the state of their development at all.

Randomizer

For $500 it better be comparable to XRGB Mini. It would actually be cheaper to RGB mod an NES and buy a Framemeister which can be used with dozens of consoles not just one. Who the hell would buy this?

Chittagong

Gold Member
For $500 it better be comparable to XRGB Mini. It would actually be cheaper to RGB mod an NES and buy a Framemeister which can be used with dozens of consoles not just one. Who the hell would buy this?

I ordered one - I love the design and ethos, I love having one neat NES+Famicom combo that looks good and outputs HDMI, and doesn't use emulation or repros, but actual real NES chipsets. It takes the hassle out of having a NES RGB modded, getting a XRGB box and using an adapter for Famicom games.

The only thing I don't like is their lack of transparency of their status.

KiraXD

There's no need for that. Unless you're buying this to play on a fishing boat, oxidation isn't anything you need to worry about for the average person.

What about the average person living in a coastal town or northern lake town... or those people in high humidity cities or rain states...

Just because some people wont need it... doesnt make it useless for ALL people.

What about the average person living in a coastal town or northern lake town... or those people in high humidity cities or rain states...

Just because some people wont need it... doesnt make it useless for ALL people.

Even then, the chances of oxidation occurring on something like controller connectors, inside the system, and completely covered is REALLY REALLY rare. Plus unless they're gold platting the connector ends that those plug into, they could be making things worse. If they're tin they can fuck up the gold.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Thanks for the update Chittagong. I'm thinking I'm about ready to pull the trigger on one.

Pleasure. While it's a really compelling concept I would wait for motherboard pictures before placing your order.

They bill your card the moment you place your order, and so far we have not seen proof of anything but the shell, flap and controller slots.

They have promised mobo shots this week so it's not a long wait if they stick to their promise.

robot

I'll admit, it does look really nice. And while the price seems kinda high, it's not completely insane for a retro enthusiast.

I went the Twin Fami RGB modded + Framemeister route and it was a little more expensive. But the upside is I can use the Frameister for my 5 other consoles. And I can play FDS games.

The fact that they charge immediately for preorders is pretty lame, and I seem to remember seeing pics of their CMVS systems being opened up and it was a hot glue party inside.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So people talking about RGB modded NES systems...are you using the arcade PPU or the vastly superior NESRGB board (aka The Australian)? The arcade PPU simply does not produce the colors these games were designed to show at home. The NESRGB board has a more flexible switch system that allows you to toggle between three palettes including one that is much more visually pleasing. Mario 3's map should not be that ugly yellow-ish color.

It seems likely that the NT will offer a similarly nice color palette.

I just don't think the arcade PPU is a good option anymore as it produces ugly colors in many cases and ultimately results in the destruction of classic arcade hardware. It's just not the way to go.

Also, I think the reason this could best the XRGB Mini is pretty simple, really; they're designing it themselves and side-stepping the need for an analog RGB cable completely. They're eliminating a potential weak point in the chain. I'm sure they also have the option to go crazier with video options since it's tailor made for one system outputting one resolution. The XRGB has to be a more flexible device.

Yes Boss!

Pleasure. While it's a really compelling concept I would wait for motherboard pictures before placing your order.

They bill your card the moment you place your order, and so far we have not seen proof of anything but the shell, flap and controller slots.

They have promised mobo shots this week so it's not a long wait if they stick to their promise.

Yeah, I'm thinking in early January as shipping and the stuff gets cleared up a bit. I've bought stuff before from analougue so I have faith. And we pulled out an Old NES yesterday and it was a ton of fun...even on an HDTV with RCA. I like the idea of this playing both famicom and american games.

Wow, lots of hyperbole in that press release. Hope it lives up to the hype, but I'm sticking with my NESRGB + Framemeister.

Timu

The HDMI adapter is significantly superior to all of the pre-existing upscaling units available on the market - including the XRGB / Framemeister units.

Now I want to see it in action.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The real reason of the delay is floating around on that neo-geo.com thread

I'm not a member so can't search, and they have some 20 sub forums... I am guessing that the transition from a premium case maker for existing Neo-Geo mobos to makers their own NES circuitry hasn't been quite as easy as they thought?

I have an Analogue CMVS and absolutely love it. I preordered the NT as soon as it was announced. I'm sad I won't have it by Christmas, but if I have to wait a few more months for a better product I'm all for it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Now I want to see it in action.

If they've invented an HDMI scaler that's superior to the XRGB mini, they should sell that. Comment like that rings my BULLSHIT alarm.

Peltz

Guys, I got a consolized MVS for $385 with tons of bells and whistles and a perfect RGB-out image. It took 2.5 weeks to be built and it's flawless. In comparison, Analogue charges $650 for the same exact thing in a wood enclosure and are backlogged "10-12 weeks" according to their website.

If you want stuff that is as good as what analogue is selling, just ask GAF about the best modders out there. There's no reason to pay such exorbitant prices for an NES with good output or a great CMVS. Heck, Framemeister can be had for just $285 these days and an NES with RGB out shouldn't cost much more than that.

Plus, you won't have to wait 30 weeks to get any of it and you'll get a great 240p scaler for all of your old consoles.

Trust in our own community: Believe.

And don't fall for this stuff. Other modders are way more reliable to get the job done quickly and won't overcharge you. Hit up baphomet as I plan to do someday and don't support the destruction of old NES systems for that ugly aluminum chassis at a disgusting premium.

Yes Boss!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Prolly talking about the big-greasy-food-thread. Raping old fami systems...and other stuff. That said, crazy place and good to stay away.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...-Hunk-of-Shit-Console-amp-Greasy-Food-Thread/

Oh god, that community looks awful.

The conclusion they have reached is the same as mine, the guy had no product when he announced it, just a shell:

And no video or anyone who saw a actual working unit ! He keeps promising videos very soon since june . He made a hollywood prop and using people pre-order money to find a way to make it work lol

He has been using the preorder money to turn his concept to reality. He was probably not super knowledgeble on RGB and upscaling so to live up his own hype he has to figure out a way to make the thing that doesn't get ridiculed.

Dishonest marketing, but hopefully with the intention to deliver a product eventually.

I would advice anyone else considering ordering one to wait for mother board pictures!

Timu

Heck, Framemeister can be had for just $285 these days
Last I checked, like only one seller sells around that price and it's still more(solaris) while I tend to see it over 350 bucks on average and with shipping, well, yeah.

ZealousD

As a hobbyist, you don't just get to claim that you've created the best scaler on the market. I wanna see the receipts!

baphomet

Wait, so they think their HDMI upscaler is better than a $400 stand alone upscaler? Judging by their build quality I'm calling bullshit.

ZealousD

Wait, so they think their HDMI upscaler is better than a $400 stand alone upscaler? Judging by their build quality I'm calling bullshit.

Not just better. "Significantly superior."

Next thing you know they'll be saying you can rub it a few times and then a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

Top Bottom