• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: "Maisie Williams 'Looking Like Yes' For The Last Of Us Movie"

Earlier this year, Maisie Williams, star of Game of Thrones, said on Twitter that she was interested in portraying Ellie in the film adaptation of The Last of Us. Neil Druckmann also dropped her name during the panel at Pax. In an interview with IGN, she confirmed that talks were still ongoing, and that she may get the part indeed:

The actress, best known for her role as Arya Stark, explained that there's currently no script so there's still a way to go before anything's confirmed, but as far as she's concerned "it's looking like, 'yes'".

“There was a whole thing that went on Twitter [of fans suggesting me for the role]," she explained. I didn’t know a lot about [the game]. I Googled it. Ashley Johnson — who did Ellie’s voice — [fans] asked her what she thought of me and she said, ‘That’s pretty much my dream.’ I don’t follow her but I was silently stalking her wondering what she thought of all this.

"And when I got my American agent and he said, ‘If there’s anything you want to do, let us know’ — America’s got such that can-do attitude. That was the first time I came to him with anything. So he said he’d set us up for a meeting next time I’m in America. And they did. So I had a meeting with [producer] Sam Raimi and [game director] Neil Druckmann. And they said they’d love if you would moderate the panel at Comic-Con, but you’d need to watch the walk-through and know your s*** because there are massive fans of this and we wouldn’t want it to go wrong.

"I was doing so much work for Thrones that I didn’t want to half-arse do it, so I said I’m not going to [moderate]. They said fine, but they’re gonna announce they had talks. So the way it was left is they want me to do it, and I want to do it. But there’s no script, no director, and no anything else. So at this moment, it’s looking like, ‘Yes,’ but it’s still such early days. If they make it in 30 years, they can’t have a 40-year-old Ellie. So at the moment, it’s looking good, and I’d love to do it. Hell yeah.”

source

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'm not happy with this choice. She is no Ellie.

Ninja Dom

VFAiBOo.gif

Moofers

That's a really cool read, but I'm thinking wasn't she starting to bust out a bit in Thrones? Ellie isn't really built like that. But hey, maybe I'm thinking too small.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Sounds good to me. Wonder if they will just change the character's background or make her do an accent.

marrec

Banned
She's a great actress who can capture the intesity and humor of Ellie.

So, all in all, good choice if they sign her.

Seligrafo

It won't happen. I really doubt that this movie will ever be made. I'd love to be wrong, but video game movies don't have a great track record.

That being said, I love Maisie Williams a lot. I'm down with this casting decision if the movie actually does get made.

Amir0x

Banned
She's a phenomenal actress and this actually makes me more likely to be interesting in seeing the movie, despite my NO VIDEOGAME MOVIE rule.

3bdelilah

Banned
I kinda want this to happen too, people are saying she can't pass as 14 anymore, but I think if she really wanted to she could. Give me Hugh Jackman too and I'm down with this movie.

Not sure she would want it since she was "not amused" the pre-edited Ellie looked a lot like Ellen Page, and accused Naughty Dog of using her likeliness without permission.

No chance of happening.

Neiteio

It bothers me on many levels that they're trying to make a movie out of this game. There's nothing about the story that hasn't already been done in film. You just remove the interactivity and shorten the journey by making a movie. I love this game -- I just started playing TLoUR last night on my newly-arrived PS4 -- and it bothers me that the creators seem to have delusions of grandeur with regards to the tale. It wasn't the tale that made TLoU special -- it was the tale in the form of a journey you play that made it special. And of course how well-made it was. I don't think this movie will get similar treatment (I.E. best cast, best director, etc). It cheapens the TLoU brand.

Percy

Banned
That could work. Get Josh Brolin for Joel now and the movie might have a shot at being entertaining.

Er yeah, just watch The Road. There's your Last of us Movie.

Beyond a post 'apocalyptic' setting, what do those two have in common though?

Might as well say go watch Mad Max 3, there's your Last of Us :/

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
That's why it's called acting. Surely Druckmann and his team know it better than us. The accent COULD be a slight mishap, but I assume she can pull off an American accent.

Let me tell you about these things called actors, they can convincingly portray characters with personalities completely different to their own.

it's crazy

To make it more clear for you guys, she LOOKS NOTHING like Ellie.

AkuMifune

Banned
Larry David not sure if want.gif

She's good, but I don't see her as Ellie. I also don't see this working nearly as well as the game, so I don't get the point aside from exposing the story to people who don't play games. But fuck those people. ;)

Jobbs

Banned
That's why it's called acting. Surely Druckmann and his team know it better than us. The accent COULD be a slight mishap, but I assume she can pull off an American accent.

she also looks absolutely nothing like her. I'm not saying you must find an actor identical to the character, but you'd expect at least some slight resemblance.

I'd give the movie a chance, but from here it just seems like a really strange casting choice. Nothing about it makes sense to me.

Not sure she would want it since she was "not amused" the pre-edited Ellie looked a lot like Ellen Page, and accused Naughty Dog of using her likeliness without permission.

No chance of happening.

This is no joke. The previous incarnation of Ellie during development looked exactly like Ellen Page. What they ultimately ended up with is enough different that it's not a problem, but at one time the resemblance was more than uncanny.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Would be absolutely great for the role.

And likely a big help in moving the project forward... Enough of an actress with street cred in the right targeted circles but without any of the negotiation demands that couple cripple a budget being greenlit

Top Bottom