• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eidos Montreal unveils new engine: Dawn Engine (based on IO's Glacier 2)

DAWN_ENGINE_inengine_screen_1.jpg

Based off the Glacier 2 engine IO Interactive used for Hitman Absolution and will be used in the development of future Deus Ex projects.

Eidos-Montréal announces next generation Dawn Engine™
State of the Art Technology will Power Deus Ex Universe Projects

MontrÉal (December 4th, 2014) – Eidos-Montréal, the award-winning Square Enix studio behind Deus Ex: Human Revolution® and THIEF™, today announces the ‘Dawn Engine™’, their new, state of the art game engine that will be the cornerstone to the development of the Deus Ex Universe projects at the studio.

The Dawn Engine, based on a heavily modified version of IO Interactive’s Glacier™ 2 engine, features new technology that allows for improved rendering capabilities, real-time physics, and advanced artificial intelligence programming, among other things. An official screenshot from the Dawn Engine can be found [above].

“The technology behind any game is a key component in ensuring that gamers are able to develop both an emotional and visceral connection to what they are experiencing within the game world,” said David Anfossi, Studio Head at Eidos-Montréal. “We’ve worked tirelessly over the last few years developing this engine, building upon and improving both the visual and immersive artistry in our games. We truly believe that our engine will help us to strengthen both the gameplay and storytelling experiences we strive to create.”

Eidos-Montréal is also seeking qualified candidates to join its world-class development team. Open positions for the development of the Dawn Engine, as well as Eidos-Montréal games, are currently available on the employment page here: http://eidosmontreal.com/jobs.

Glacier 2 was the Absolution engine, right?

If so, that was damn impressive on PS360. Can't wait to see what they pull off visually with a modified version of that engine.

DieH@rd

Banned
I can't wait for this game! DEHR was so great [except bosses].

edit - just saw the pic, nice. Hopefully they have good tech that will removie aliasing from cables. :D

Xpliskin

I read it as Ubisoft at first, and wanted to post cagelaughing.gif.

Glacier 2 was very robust state of the art tech (Hitman: Absolution).

At least the output will be stable. Nvm.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It's important to note that the Deus Ex facebook page has been updated with Deus Ex Universe photo as well as this being posted on their Facebook page first. This is for Deus Ex peeps..

Kezen

Banned
Hitman Absolution looked great on PC at the time, I'm not surprised to see the engine gathering momentum to the point where it becomes of the main engines for future AAA projects by Eidos.

duckroll

Hey remember how things turned out the last two times Square Enix announced engine tech and put it front and center ahead of their games? I'm sure it couldn't possibly happen again!

Hitman: Absolution? As in the game with segregated hubs per assassination? That's worse than linear titles. Past Hitman games gave you 1 AREA (aside from H1's drug lord mission). I'd like to see no more loading spaces in between assassinations all meant to be pursued in 1 mission .

I have no doubts on their "graphics" upgrade capabilities but I'm seriously doubting they can pull off actual good AI.

Ahasverus

Great. Now imaginw how it would go in a gothic setting. With ancient ruins. Big cathedrals. Lovely wastelands. Vampires. A building with pillars. You know, just saying.

JayEH

Deus Ex announcement incoming?

Hey remember how things turned out the last two times Square Enix announced engine tech and put it front and center ahead of their games? I'm sure it couldn't possibly happen again!

This is Eidos though. They've actually delivered on their engines.

Eidios did the same thing with Hitman Absolution and it turned out just fine.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Deus Ex announcement incoming?

This is Eidos though. They've actually delivered on their engines.

It's already been announced and Eidos/SE is getting ready to say more about the game soon most likely. They don't simply update the banner on their Facebook page for no reason.

Hitman: Absolution? As in the game with segregated hubs per assassination? That's worse than linear titles. Past Hitman games gave you 1 AREA (aside from H1's drug lord mission). I'd like to see no more loading spaces in between assassinations all meant to be pursued in 1 mission .

I have no doubts on their "graphics" upgrade capabilities but I'm seriously doubting they can pull off actual good AI.

Wasn't it limited by last gen consoles?

Top Bottom