• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Nintendo Heads for Best Holiday in Years as Profit Seen Tripling

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
The Japanese game maker that lost 23.2 billion yen ($193 million) last year is on a surprising comeback with hit game titles like Super Smash Bros. and a new line of interactive figurines called Amiibo. At least eight analysts raised profit estimates or ratings since September, with the two most recent calling for profit to triple to 36.8 billion yen.

Such results would mark a vindication of sorts for President Satoru Iwata, who stuck with a strategy of selling his games only on Nintendo devices rather than offering them on smartphones and tablet computers. With Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 8 gaining popularity, the Kyoto-based company projects it will sell 3.6 million Wii U consoles this year and take in $1 billion from Amiibo sales in the U.S. alone.

“Nintendo has picked up good momentum heading into the Christmas season,” said Tomoaki Kawasaki, a Tokyo-based analyst with Iwai Cosmo Securities Co., who raised his rating to neutral plus last month. “This time they have a hit lineup. Amiibo represents a new revenue source, and we are watching it very closely.”

“Last year was just a bad year for the game business, and this year is a recovery,” said Hideki Yasuda, an analyst at Ace Research who raised the stock to neutral on Oct. 30. “Add to that Amiibo, and you’re likely to see a considerable improvement in earnings.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-12-07/nintendo-heads-for-best-holiday-in-years-as-profit-seen-tripling.html

Positive news for Ninty! :) More at the link above

Edit: $1US Billion retail sales seems like Bloomberg is reaching, most likely Yen figure.
1000000000 Japanese Yen equals
8208500.0000 US Dollar

820,850 amiibos

Seems much much much more reasonable of a forecast than 100M amiibos in one territory in just a few months of launch...

Shaanyboi

Banned
Tripling? Holy shit.

Either that's a testament to how well it's doing now or how bad it was doing before.... Probably the latter, but hey, profit.

Phazon

Looks like Amiibo, Smash and Pokémon did their job.

Great year for Nintendo and 2015 is looking even more insane.

What a great time to be a gamer :D

You can bet there'll be a game that use those amiibos in a more fully-fledged manner next holiday, then.

Tomodachi U with amiibo support. Do it!

Richie

ONE BILLION FOR AMIIBO!?

Why the hell are some being discontinued then?!

That's quite impossible..

1.000.000.000$ / 10$ = 100.000.000

I doubt they're going to sell 100 million amiibos lol

Maybe a false quote.

Yeah I smell shenanigans. Most like a billion -yen-.

Still clearly a cash cow for them though.

Great news. Impressive numbers from Amiibos.

Such results would mark a vindication of sorts for President Satoru Iwata, who stuck with a strategy of selling his games only on Nintendo devices
strategy

How could Nintendo possibly have made $1B from Amiibo sales? Somebody do the math, how many did they have to ship to see that number?

Kieli

That'd be 80 million Amiibos sold based on my dirty toilet paper math (which is completely bonkers).

Hasney

That 1 billion is a projection from Nintendo, but seeing how everything else is in Yen, I'm guessing that has to be it.

Amiibo's are the best business decision Nintendo has made in years. I was skeptical at how well they'd do at first but they're selling like crack here in the UK and judging from the article, they're doing even better in the US.

Couple that with Pokemon and Smash and Iwata and Co going to be rolling in it this Christmas. Good on them

Servbot24

Banned
Glad to hear them having success! They deserve it.

Unfortunately 3.6 consoles in a year is still abysmal so I'm not sure how much of a success this actually qualifies as, but it sounds like they'll take it.

Superman00

Liverpool01
Amiibos are really popular but can they even make 80-100 millions by year end? Let alone the number for other regions.

Daouzin

1 billion for amiibo sales in America alone... That's pretty darn good right?

That seems ridiculous, are kids really into them? I dig them, but I don't see them having the same appeal as something like Skylanders.

I'm happy for Nintendo, but I'm impressed they've been this successful with Amiibos.

ONE BILLION FOR AMIIBO!?

Why the hell are some being discontinued then?!

Yeah I smell shenanigans. Most like a billion -yen-.

Still clearly a cash cow for them though.

1000000000 Japanese Yen equals
8208500.0000 US Dollar

820,850 amiibos

Seems much much much more reasonable of a forecast than 100M amiibos in one territory in just a few months of launch...

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
That's quite impossible..

1.000.000.000$ / 10$ = 100.000.000

I doubt they're going to sell 100 million amiibos lol

Maybe a false quote.

I think so too, most likely poorly structured sentence - maybe what they meant is 1 Billion $ in retail sales for Wii U business, which in include software, hardware, and amiibo.

Maybe Yen as well? duno lol

Top Bottom