• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What type of arcade machine is Tekken 7 running on?

It was rumored that T7 was running on system 478, but that's bullshit --> https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/s...310472914788352

so the question is now, is it running on a specific arcade board?

As we all know in the past, All previous arcade cabinets ran on playstation hardware, but that probably had to do with the fact that namco never imagined porting tekken to any other platform.

starting from last gen, that is no longer the case, since they pretty much know they're gonna make this for as many platforms that can handle it as possible, I have to wonder if whatever arcade board they are using, if it is based on Ps4, or just a PC.

because the thing is, did sony ever get anything out of this long tekken partnership with namco? I mean it's not like the arcade cabinets JUST matched the respective playstation's specs; system 357=the cell. it even had its own xmb.

soooo... if namco had to actually do something for sony in order to share their hardware, I'm guessing their arcade board if there even is one, is a regular high end PC instead of essentially a Ps4.

unless they plan on making it a Ps4 exclusive, and some evidence is kinda pointing to that (SF5 console exclusive, Harada saying he wants to develop for Ps4), but more likely it won't be.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'd like to know what components they are basing the game off of too. I'd assume its fairly weak as they are going to be porting to every new gen console and want to do so without issue probably, but it would still be nice to know.

We know GGXRD is the ring edge 2 so its not all that powerful...but was still able to get amazing results

Squire

Banned
Seems like you opened with a question, followed by history, followed by conjecture, followed by "I hope Tekken 7 is a PS4 exclusive."

Nothing indicates that is happening. If anything they're clearly thinking big, given they licensed UE4.

Seems like you opened with a question, followed by history, followed by conjecture, followed by "I hope Tekken 7 is a PS4 exclusive."

Nothing indicates that is happening. If anything they're clearly thinking big, given they licensed UE4.

Yeah it's true that it will most likely be as multiplatform as possible, but for tradition's sake, it is also possible that the arcade board Tekken 7 is running on is based on the Ps4. But we don't know.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah it's true that it will most likely be as multiplatform as possible, but for tradition's sake, it is also possible that the arcade board Tekken 7 is running on is based on the Ps4. But we don't know.

Tekken 6's arcade board was based on a PS3, that didn't stop the 360 getting it, and the PS3 architecture is far different than the 360 compared to PS4 and XB1. T7's hardware will be PC equivalent of PS4 specs most likely.

But we don't have enough information yet. Wait until February. 80% of the playerbase will be on PS4 anyway so exclusive or not does not really matter.

Tekken 6's arcade board was based on a PS3, that didn't stop the 360 getting it, and the PS3 architecture is far different than the 360 compared to PS4 and XB1. T7's hardware will be PC equivalent of PS4 specs most likely.

But we don't have enough information yet. Wait until February. 80% of the playerbase will be on PS4 anyway so exclusive or not does not really matter.

Tekken 6 was also the first time the series went multiplatform, and Harada said it was a pain in the ass to port it to the 360.You think by February the arcade board specs will be announced?

ZeroX03

Banned
Tekken 6 was also the first time the series went multiplatform, and Harada said it was a pain in the ass to port it to the 360.You think by February the arcade board specs will be announced?

Yeah but they smoothed the process out by TTT2. PC or PS4 or XB1 they're all fairly interchangeable.

Boards should go up for sale soon and are set to arrive February so we'll know for sure when they hit, NB is tight lipped til then.

Yeah but they smoothed the process out by TTT2. PC or PS4 or XB1 they're all fairly interchangeable.

Boards should go up for sale soon and are set to arrive February so we'll know for sure when they hit, NB is tight lipped til then.

It'd be really weird for T7's arcade board to be based on the Xbone, considering Tekken's arcade history. But yeah TTT2 had a new board which was System 369. After T6 they were probably more acquainted with the porting process but we don't know if they still didn't run into similar problems.

Squire

Banned

It's UE4 now. It's not going to be a problem to port.

ZeroX03

Banned
It'd be really weird for T7's arcade board to be based on the Xbone, considering Tekken's arcade history. But yeah TTT2 had a new board which was System 369. After T6 they were probably more acquainted with the porting process but we don't know if they still didn't run into similar problems.

I really doubt it would be an XB1 board but they're all similar enough, it's likely either traditional PC or PS4 but it's all going to make very little difference. No porting problems.

Squire

Banned
Does the usage of UE4 indicate that there is no numbered specialized arcade board Namco's using?

The usage of UE4 and the fact both PS4 and XBO are x86 derivative hardware indicates they won't have a problem porting the game. They probably picked the engine for that specific reason.

The usage of UE4 and the fact both PS4 and XBO are x86 derivative hardware indicates they won't have a problem porting the game. They probably picked the engine for that specific reason.

I'm not disputing the ease of porting. I'm just asking if using that unreal engine takes away the need to make a specialized numbered arcade board.

ZeroX03

Banned
sr13bwq.png

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/542280887618904064

duckroll

I'm not disputing the ease of porting. I'm just asking if using that unreal engine takes away the need to make a specialized numbered arcade board.

There are no longer "specialized" boards for arcades in Japan anymore. Pretty much every single arcade game in Japan these days by any developer and publisher uses standard PC hardware. It's been this way for years now.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
There are no longer "specialized" boards for arcades in Japan anymore. Pretty much every single arcade game in Japan these days by any developer and publisher uses standard PC hardware. It's been this way for years now.
It seems like it took longer to get there as well because even in the late nineties or early two thousands building something competent to run to the games and just beefing it up with extra memory and slightly higher clock speeds for those quick load times seem to be coming much cheaper.

Not that it needs to be stated but obviously the days of dedicated boards which costs a lot more to manufacture given the number of pieces being generated, well, those days are gone. And it's a hell of a lot easier to create an SOC which is a fraction of the size and a fraction of the cost 4 making these arcade games. That way you can actually increase other spec such as processor speeds and other things to get that expected arcade quick loading.

xemumanic

It's gonna be 'System SomeNumber' based on the PS4. Which won't contrast with what Harada tweeted in response. Tekken arcade games have always been based on whatever PlayStation its on, with some variation. This line of PlayStation just happens to be PC based anyway.

What's of interest to me is if It'll be some Windows CE base, like the SF4 Taito Type X series, or the PS4 OS.

It's gonna be 'System SomeNumber' based on the PS4. Which won't contrast with what Harada tweeted in response. Tekken arcade games have always been based on whatever PlayStation its on, with some variation. This line of PlayStation just happens to be PC based anyway.

What's of interest to me is if It'll be some Windows CE base, like the SF4 Taito Type X series, or the PS4 OS.
yeah. The real question now is if the arcade system is using orbis. That would truly mean it's based on on Ps4's specific architecture.

Although, they never outright came out and said 357 had xmb. We just happened to have a YouTube video available of some guy watching the arcade store working resetting the tekken 6 arcade machine and it booted up with xmb. So we'd have to find out ourselves somehow.

Top Bottom