• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] MS to reveal VR headset at E3 2015, Fortaleza still in the development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayant

Update 2:
Sources familiar with matter have informed TechRadar and VR Focus that the Xbox One headset dev kits are already in the hands of some developers, suggesting that the company is busily working to get software lined up.
http://www.techradar.com/news/gamin...-s-already-in-the-hands-of-developers-1277879

Update 1 :

Aaaah that's maybe the project my friend is working on.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20141218PD210.html

Microsoft is rumored to be planning to mass produce a head-worn virtual gaming device in 2015 and is expected to showcase the product at the E3 gaming show in June, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.

The sources revealed that the gaming device's development is handled by Microsoft's hardware team, which is also the one in charge of Surface tablet development.
The sources also believe head-worn products will become a new focus of the gaming hardware developers for the next-generation gaming devices.

Microsoft also has a Kinect sensor-ready Google Glass-similar wearable device, the Fortaleza project, in development, but the company has not yet unveiled details for the product.

Transport me to Isengard if old

Seanspeed

Banned
Doesn't specifically say VR headset there.

Though I hope it is. The more players in the VR game, the more devs will be willing to make content for it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Good. I have all three potential platforms (PS4, Xbox and PC with a 970), so I'm ready for whichever one provides the best bang for the buck. Or I'm ready to buy all of them if they are all supported by amazing unique software

Chris1

Yeah it was quite obvious MS were working on some sort of VR headset. I doubt it will be revealed at E3 though, Phil seems to like focusing their e3's 100% on games.

This makes so much sense with Xbox and windows. I wonder how it will compare on PC versus Oculus. I feel like Oculus did the heavy lifting of garnering VR awareness and pushing the tech yet the giant tech companies are going to beat them to market and snag the market share.

Sandfox

IMO these companies should wait until their next devices before going into VR.

Good. I have all three potential platforms (PS4, Xbox and PC with a 970), so I'm ready for whichever one provides the best bang for the buck. Or I'm ready to buy all of them if they are all supported by amazing unique software

I would be shocked if PC wasn't the way to go.

Kayant

Doesn't specifically say VR headset there.

Though I hope it is. The more players in the VR game, the more devs will be willing to make content for it.

True but they also refer to Morpheus and Oculus as "head-worn product" added to the development part seems more like a VR headset than anything ;)

Cynn

I was hoping they'd work with Oculus like Samsung did to be honest. An Xbox dedicated Rift would allow them to skip a lot of the work needed for hardware and focus on software.

Vena

The rush to VR... I wonder if this isn't going to end up in a total disaster in terms of ROI on the R&D. I just don't think these consoles nor the screen tech is where it needs to be to actually work on a mass market.

Once they try it, I think everyone will want it.
The problem is getting the casual audience to strap a goofy looking headset to their faces.
It has to be an amazing experience and word will spread from the tech people who will no doubt buy it. A lot of hype and great word of mouth will propel VR forward fast.

Durante

You don't spend $2.5 Billion to put a game on a very reduced market.
You could spend 2.5 Billion to try to dominate the biggest upcoming entertainment medium by leveraging what might be the most popular game IP among kids in the world though.

In fact, that makes more sense than any other plan for Minecraft I've heard.

Occam

The main problem with VR is that it causes motion sickness for many people, because our internal motion sensors report to our brain that we are sitting/standing still, while the eyes report we are moving. Not sure if this can be overcome.

Guymelef

You could spend 2.5 Billion to try to dominate the biggest upcoming entertainment medium by leveraging what might be the most popular game IP among kids in the world though.

And how many kids can afford a console + VR glasses price?
Say some kid they have to spend 300$ to play the next LOL, the game would die.

big_z

The rush to VR... I wonder if this isn't going to end up in a total disaster in terms of ROI on the R&D. I just don't think these consoles nor the screen tech is where it needs to be to actually work on a mass market.

the race to cash in is going to kill VR before its ready. its like motion controls all over again, but worse. they need to wait for next gen hardware when itll be possible to release a competent product.

Alx

I was hoping they'd show Fortaleza first. VR is cool and all, but everybody's doing it already...

Vena

the race to cash in is going to kill VR before its ready. its like motion controls all over again, but worse.

Seems like everyone wants to be the Wii but with even more half-baked end results than even that...

There's a definite novelty factor that whoever gets VR out first will be able to hit on but... novelty is heavily limited by the price that this is inevitably going to cost. Wii was a cheap-o novelty that could catch on because everyone could easily afford it.

Sandfox

I don't really see MStrying to dominate the market by targeting kids. If they were to make a new MC game they would probably just treat it like the current one.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

is using VR alright for kids eyes?

Seanspeed

Banned
This makes so much sense with Xbox and windows. I wonder how it will compare on PC versus Oculus. I feel like Oculus did the heavy lifting of garnering VR awareness and pushing the tech yet the giant tech companies are going to beat them to market and snag the market share.
This assumes it's going to be PC compatible.

Either way, the thing with VR is that quality truly matters. Its not like with smartphones where you might be fine with a 2 year old midrange phone for your needs. It'll still do basically everything you want, just maybe a lower resolution and a *little* bit less snappy, but eh, no big deal right? Well in VR, resolution and accuracy and latency and pretty much everything all combine to make your VR experience what it is. The difference between a mediocre quality headset and a high quality headset can be the difference between a bad VR experience and a great one.

I seriously doubt Microsoft are as far along as Oculus or even Sony are anyways.

orava

The main problem with VR is that it causes motion sickness for many people, because our internal motion sensors report to our brain that we are sitting/standing still, while the eyes report we are moving. Not sure if this can be overcome.

You should send oculus et al. a message. I'm sure they are not aware of this problem.

I don't really see MStrying to dominate the market by targeting kids. If they were to make a new MC game they would probably just treat it like the current one.
All they have to do is release it on Xbox and PC through their new Xbox service via PC. I don't see why they would release it on WiiU or PS4. That would make no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom