• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon: X1 AC Bundle + 50$ gift card 349$

gtj1092

So thats why it shot up the charts. MS is trying to gain back the entire sales gulf in one month. Makes me think they just might raise the price back up in Janurary.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
MS stahp.

Someone should update that gif with Spencer and Nelson and "it bleeds money".
Yeah stop giving the customers great deals...wait what?

MS working their ass off the every sold unit and I love it. I'm not in the market for the console but as a gamer is great to see the competition heating up in the US and UK.

QaaQer

Yeah stop giving the customers great deals...wait what?

MS working their ass off the every sold unit and I love it. I'm not in the market for the console but as a gamer is great to see the competition heating up in the US and UK.

haha, no. They are buying market share.

In the long term, this kind of market distortion almost always bites consumers in the ass. I don't know if it will here, as consoles are kinda outdated and MS fucked up so bad at the beginning, Sony is guaranteed to have at least one more console.

But forcing the competition to operate at a loss in order stay competitive isn't something we should be hoping for long term.

No they make money.

source?

Sony must have turned the tide for the month with that "we'll give you everything + the camera for $399" deal they've been offering.
MS gotta respond!

If you ever wanted to jump into current gen, no matter which system you prefer, now is the time. Heck get go buy an X1, get your $70 gift cart, stack it with the cartwheel coupon and get yourself a PS4 for $270! Or a Wii U for $180! Plus your state tax of course.

No they make money.
That's pretty unlikely.

They have cut the price by 50 dollars after essentialy breaking even for a year.
Any reduced costs would be mitigated by a price cut.

Then add in the fact that they bundle "100 dollars" worth of games. That costs money, too.
Microsoft often has a hand in these extra deals for additional games and gift cards, too. That's not free.

They make money off of Gold and game purchases on these customers over the generation. Not sure why people always look at hardware profit margins as something significant. Extremely short sighted.

Naminator

Banned

In the long term, this kind of market distortion almost always bites consumers in the ass. I don't know if it will here, as consoles are kinda outdated and MS fucked up so bad at the beginning, Sony is guaranteed to have at least one more console.

But forcing the competition to operate at a loss in order stay competitive isn't something we should be hoping for long term.

source?

Source on them losing money?

gtj1092

They make money off of Gold and game purchases on these customers over the generation. Not sure why people always look at hardware profit margins as something significant. Extremely short sighted.

Weren't only like 30% of 360 owners gold subscribers and customers looking for the cheapest deal aren't the most likely ones to pay $60 bucks a year to play online.

In the end I will say MS will make more money doing these deals now before Ps4 pulled too far ahead rather than not responding and losing marketshare. As long as they maintain marketshare they can stay in position to fight back against Sony.

So yeah no one can say these deals are bad for MS in the long run. They have a warchest and are rightfully using it. Benefitting consumers who are in the market for a videogame console.

Sure. That's been the business model for much of last gen, too. And it hasn't particularly been a profitable business model, either.

Taking losses on hardware and making it back up with game sales and subscriptions is not an ideal business model.

Moohan

Banned

source?

Ok... so wait... a company trying to sell a product should NOT try to do whatever they can to get their product in the hands of the consumer to overcome negative feedback from a bad presentation? I am confused. Are you suggesting that MS should have just watched as the PS4 continued to outsell the Xbone on hype alone and not do anything about it?

Still can't wrap my head around how putting a product on sale hurts the consumer in the long run. If Android never found a way to push the market and make much more affordable entry level smart phones, would we have the iPhone Android version, I mean iPhone 6 and 6 plus, that we have today? Doesn't seem to have "hurt the consumer" in that regard, unless of course you have small hands.

Btw... if BOTH consoles are significantly outpacing their predecessors and BOTH of those last gen consoles lead this current gen of consoles, why would one brand be "guaranteed" to have another console but the other wouldn't?

VanWinkle

Seriously?! what the fuck is going on in this thread?

Are we supposed to hate discounts on new consoles?

This is like $200 off the price everyone had to pay for the console as early as like eight months ago. More if you were to include the price of the two games.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Seriously?! what the fuck is going on in this thread?

Are we supposed to hate discounts on new consoles?
Yeah, a bunch of people catching feelings because the PS4 is getting outsold for a period of time... It's hilarious.

Guess competition doesn't benefit every type of Gamer ;-)

Sure. That's been the business model for much of last gen, too. And it hasn't particularly been a profitable business model, either.

Taking losses on hardware and making it back up with game sales and subscriptions is not an ideal business model.

Its the new business model. Other than Apple with iPhones, the big hardware makers don't make much on the actual HW but push towards a subscription based products.

Its why MS is pushing Office 365. Companies love recurring revenue streams, and taking it on the chin early to enable you to make it up on the backend is a dream come true.

lyrick

This is literally how both Sony and Microsoft have operated since both entered the industry.

SDCowboy

At this point, I feel like if I wait a bit longer, they may pay me to take one and a game of my choice. lol

Moohan

Banned
This is literally how both Sony and Microsoft have operated since both entered the industry.

Exactly! And is even more the reason why both companies can't wait for the all digital future. This way they recoup even more of the profit from game, subscription, etc. purchases.

Yeah companies take a loss on the hardware but who do you think gets what out of the $59.99 spent on a new game? A retail store pays $54.99 a copy for an EA game, where is that money going? Only to EA? I think not.

blakep267

The red ring zapped a bunch of profits. Gold brought in a lot of money on the 360. And if you look at the best selling games or this month, your seeing COd for both the xb1 and 360 as we'll as destiny due to its price drop. Both those games pretty much require a live subscription.

mackattk

I recently got a PS4 and all these XB1 deals are making it hard not to pick it up as well. I don't really need it, but the deals are absolutely insane. The Target deal for instance, $70 gift card, and let's lowball it and say the AC:U game bundle is worth $40. At $350 for the bundle, it would mean that the XB1 only cost a $240.

Newegg might have everyone beat actually.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16868105119

$349.99 AC bundle + 1 year XBOX Live + $20 Newegg gift card. You can use coupon code "BITCOINXBOXONE" and checkout with bitcoin for an extra $50 off.

+$349.99 bundle
-$40.00 AC games
-$59.99 Xbox Live 1 year
-$50 Bitcoin code.
-$20 Newegg gift card
= $180 XB1 system.

nikos

This is sort of tempting considering Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2 are $35 each at Best Buy. After GCU discount, that $50 card almost pays for both. I also have $35 in rewards at Best Buy.

Does anyone know if the Assassin's Creed codes are sellable? Already played them on PS4.

SerTapTap

A bit silly probably, but I might have already bought this if it were Sunset Overdrive instead of Asscreed. I assume selling the digital codes still nets me a fair bit less than a new SO physical copy? Also not a fan of putting money in Ubisoft's pocket however indirectly.

Moohan

Banned
This is sort of tempting considering Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2 are $35 each at Best Buy. After GCU discount, that $50 card almost pays for both. I also have $35 in rewards at Best Buy.

Does anyone know if the Assassin's Creed codes are sellable? Already played them on PS4.

I recently purchased a Code Card from Amazon that included Black Flag and Unity for $35. It looked identical to the cards that were included in the bundles and so I am assuming (you know what they say) that this means the cards are not really traceable and so if you sell it you shouldn't get in any trouble.

(The packed in games are on a code card, they are not pre-installed.)

Rafterman

Banned

source?

I don't see how it's going to bite customers in the ass. The Xbone is actually a nice console at $350 and has fun games to play. And since when are consoles outdated? Seriously, they are selling at a greater pace than last gen! Also, selling at a loss, which I already doubt they are considering they removed the Kinect to drop the price, isn't a long term thing anyway. Even if they are selling at a loss now, the tech will be cheaper soon enough and that loss will become a profit.

You see it as buying market share, those of us who have jumped on the console at that price see them as finally understanding the market and pricing accordingly. It's not like people are buying it at the cheaper price for no reason. There are reasons to own an Xbone, just not at $450-500.

The stark contrast in responses between this thread and the PS4 amazon deal thread just cant be made up.

Once people get on a bandwagon around here they find it hard to get off. Microsoft deserves tons of shit for the way this console was launched and handled, but at some point you gotta let go and see they turning it around as a good thing. This deal is a good thing.

Eh, haven't consoles for the past 3+ gens sold at a loss and made back the money on the games?

It's just that this gen, both MS and Sony seemed to change that philosophy.

MS' hands were forced though.

Supposedly, Sony was ready to go lower at launch. Even though I'm not expecting a PS4 price drop until holiday 2015, it wouldn't surprise me if Sony acted sooner if MS continues to go all in.

nikos

I recently purchased a Code Card from Amazon that included Black Flag and Unity for $35. It looked identical to the cards that were included in the bundles and so I am assuming (you know what they say) that this means the cards are not really traceable and so if you sell it you shouldn't get in any trouble.

(The packed in games are on a code card, they are not pre-installed.)

Thanks! Might actually pull the trigger, though I would have really liked that white Sunset Over drive bundle. Probably should have jumped on it when it was available.

mackattk

Eh, haven't consoles for the past 3+ gens sold at a loss and made back the money on the games?

It's just that this gen, both MS and Sony seemed to change that philosophy.

MS' hands were forced though.

Supposedly, Sony was ready to go lower at launch. Even though I'm not expecting a PS4 price drop until holiday 2015, it wouldn't surprise me if Sony acted sooner if MS continues to go all in.

Yeah, but correct me if I am wrong, there has never been a time when consoles are selling for half of what they launched one year prior.

Top Bottom