• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAK

igdyOdd2jLJvu.gif

iXtTmdsQaofk2.png

Developer: Namco Bandai Games
Publisher: Namco Bandai Games
Platform: Sony Playstation 3; Microsoft Xbox 360; Nintendo WiiU
Release Date: September 11, 2012 For NA; September 13, 2012 in JP; September 14, 2012 in EU November 18, 2012 for NA/JP WiiU Edition; November 30 for the EU WiiU Edition
Players: 1-4 Offline; 1-2 Online
Official Website: http://www.tekken-official.jp/tag2/
Director: Yuichi Yonemori
Producer: Katsuhiro Harada

Final Box Arts:
iQ572wHwj9U0k.png

MSRP: $59.99

Special Edition: (Europe Only)
iPVDDm5Uv1oFV.jpg

MSRP: £59.99, €89.99

Includes:
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Game
  • Official Remix SOUNDTRACK
  • "The Art of Tekken" ART BOOK
  • DVD: Behind the Scenes: “Tekken Takes Tokyo
  • Exclusive Metal Case
Pre-order Bonuses:
iNU5f5AXm5jYm.png
ibgEBNsrIPF8rR.gif

Check the pre-order page to see what your country is getting by Pre-ordering TTT2. To those people who don’t pre-order, all of the above content except the Documentary/Poster/Gallery will be available as a free download later on.​

• PSN GAF Classfield
    - Post your GAF name, your PSN id, and your region to connect and battle against anyone within GAF.
  • XBL GAF Classfield
    - Post your GAF name, your XBL gamertag, and your region to connect and battle against anyone within GAF

ibjnwSRgvsjOcJ.png

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is a dream roster game having every character playable in a Tekken game. It is the largest roster in the series history and I believe the 3rd largest roster in fighting game history after Mortal Kombat: Armageddon and KOF2002UM. The roster can be seen below:​

ibVK1yimVAIvc.png

Update: As of September 9th, the leak reveals the final roster. It is unknown when Dr. B, Miharu, Unknown, Violet, & Slim Bob are released.​

iJ7rZ7bf9sxDn.png

The previous Tekken OT dedicated 70% of its content describing the gameplay of Tekken. Here I’ll just summarize it. Tekken is a 3D game where you control you character by independently moving each limb with a face button. []/X is left punch, Δ/Y is right punch, X/A is left kick, O/B is right kick; the D-pad controls the character and the remaining buttons can be mapped as the tag button. I spent way too much time compiling all of the information about the gameplay of Tekken in Aris’s site:

im5HT5Ltv3n3p.png

iWoGU3YfrAJzk.png

Click on the respective unit on in the image below. Lots of things explained in later units imply that you already know about things covered in the previous units so it's recommended to go through the entire guide to get a full overview of what is in Tekken.

The other major addition was the inclusion of giving players the option to only play solo instead of tag game. Harada did this to help newer players who couldn’t learn 2 characters. The balance changes quite drastically going between solo and tag from a damage and HP perspective.

iyN0hdMvSC8ZD.gif

* The 2v1 instant was a clean hit instead of a counter hit, hence why the damage is lower than it should be.

As can be seen from the above GIF, the damage output from a solo player is higher than a tag character, and the health of a solo player is also higher than a tag character. This was all done to balance the game out and have everyone in an equal playing field.
Tekken is an incredibly deep and rewarding system and does require some commitment to learn. But as anyone who has played the game and learned it can tell you, the reward is immense. Feel free to ask questions to anyone in the thread.​

i8c5eDQaRs8y9.png

The single player options in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 are the standard things provided and are a staple of the series. The practice mode in particular has been revamped and there is the new Fight Lab mode.

1. Arcade Battle - Standard arcade mode where you may set your difficulty and play against Tekken characters. Win it all and face the final boss.
  2. Ghost Battle - Battle against various ranks of custom characters. You may also raise your offline rank this way.
  3. VS Battle – Where the soul and blood one gets when playing Tekken. This is the mode all of you ought to spend the most time on to fight against your friends.
  4. Team Battle - Pick your teams. Battle it out of up to 8 characters.
  5. Time Attack - Finish Arcade as quickly as you can.
  6. Survival - Endless waves of opponents until your heath is entirely gone. Health is returned in small increments after each win.
  7. Practice Mode – Probably the most effort went into improving this mode compared to all the other improvement in this game aside from the core gameplay.

• Freestyle Mode: Namco has added an insane amount of detailed options to go through in TTT2’s practice mode rivaling even VF5FS’s practice mode features minus the frame counter. This mode will be of great help in setting up situations to maximize your combo’s. See the number of options:

ibsyKqcoJfFg56.gif

• Defensive Mode: This is the mode that finally has the return of the command capture and let’s you store up to 5 slots simultaneously also allowing you to control the intervals. These options will provide you a very facilitating means of discovering specific matchups:

iNozQf7ctbWmC.gif

• Versus CPU: This mode is useless overall, the CPU on the hardest mode reads and reacts to all of your inputs but always falls for a certain AI bug. Not the best way to learn Tekken.

8. Pair Play - Players can control individual characters on the same team with up to 4 players simultaneously.
  9. Fight Lab Mode – This is the premier single player mode Namco is selling which replaces Scenario Campaign from Tekken 6/Devil Within from Tekken 5.

ibv9KBMT3hsHJG.jpg

Fight Lab follows the story of Combot and Lee Chaolan’s quest to turn him into a competent fighter. It is divided into 5 chapters where the player will be taught about sidestepping, ducking, juggling, among other things. It’s unknown how detailed this will go but I should have it all covered from a beginner’s perspective.

i48awA9A4Xb4G.gif

10. WiiU Exclusive Single Player Content - The WiiU version of the game comes with 2 exclusive modes, one is called Kinoko battle where you battle in the regular arenas but with Mario themed mushroomed either powering you up or poisoning you. the second mode is the return of Tekken 3's Tekken Ball mode where you strike the ball like a volleyball which will damage your opponent if it impacts them.

ibyMB3xh7PoeVb.gif

ic1uFaoUxggAh.png

Let’s get this out of the way, Tekken 6’s netcode was atrocious. Namco has reworked everything to finally deliver an at least playable experience based on Soul Calibur V’s netcode. They also added a truck-load of new features to the online experience.
  • Ranked/Player Match – Your traditional ranked match setup where you randomly are pitted against another fighter which can lead to either a promotion or demotion. You can still play player matches against other people in your own private lobby.
  • Online Practice Lobby - Like SFxT, TTT2 now also allows you to go into an online training room with a friend to brush up on skills.
  • Tekken Channel - All of your matches are automatically uploaded onto the Tekken Channel for you to watch and catch your mistakes. You also have the ability to forward or rewind the replay the get to a part that interests you.
  • World Tekken Federation: World Tekken Federation (“WTF”) will be the first ever online service for a fighter that allows players to form teams, track statistics for all of their matches, participate in team forum discussions and much more. The service has been compared to the likes of Call of Duty Elite but will be offered for free with every copy of Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
World Tekken Federation has an extremely robust set of features that include:
  1. Player Card – The Player Card lists your primary and secondary characters. It also includes information regarding character usage, wins/losses and money earned, rank, WTF-specific achievements (different from XBL & PSN Trophies), among other stuff.

i81q7gXW3FGuD.jpg

2. Rank & Achievements– There will be WTF-specific achievements for the game in addition to the XBL Achievements and PSN trophies where you can view your ranks for each of your characters.

iChilMEQqbj2.jpg

3. Statistics tracking including:

a. Battle History – Data from your online matches with all of your opponents is synched and uploaded to the WTF website. Data is immediately uploaded and updated after every single match.

b. Attack History – A detailed attack history is available through the statistics tracking in WTF. This will allow players to see how each match occurred from the number of hits that have been performed to the number of tag assaults. A detailed list is in the image below.

c. Sorting by time – Statistics can also be sorted according to the last 7 days, the last 30 days, etc. This allows the player to see how he/she has been improving in the game over time.

iz1FrOowGEpSW.jpg

4. Creating a Team – WTF will allow players to create a team with one leader. There can be up to 100 players in a single team. The player data from each member in the team contributes to the overall standing of the team. Players can work together to take their team to the top. Members within a team can hold discussion with each other in their own team-specific forum. Allows players within a team to help each other, offer tips and strategize. There will be a Neogaf team. More details on this later.

ibr4wbusElLftD.jpg

5. Online Events and Tournaments – There will be online events that players all around the world can participate in through WTF. Future ideas by the Tekken dev team include holding online tournaments.

6. Data Consolidation – If a player chooses to play both an Xbox 360 and a PS3 version of TTT2, the data for that player can be consolidated into one. In other words, a player’s profile on WTF can include consolidated data from both the PS3 and 360 versions.

The goal of WTF is to help newcomers and veterans alike to improve their skills in Tekken and become active and involved in the ever-growing community of players.

ib2K6wuTggBifC.jpg

ivtucw3RNTN69.png

Tekken has broadened its customization options beyond cosmetics and into the game itself now for Tekken Tag Tournament 2, and it expanded into the presentation of the overall game and even the gameplay.
  1. Costume Customization: A returning feature from Tekken 6 where you use the money gained from fights to purchase custom outfits for you character. Unfortunately a lot of the detail from T6 had to be removed such as individually customizing the hands and feet while in TTT2 you have to deal with an entire upper body, lower body, or full body selection. The reason this had to happen was due to memory issues.

iOmG3kFbb3P9h.jpg

2. Customize Loading Screens: You can now change the artwork of your character that appears before a match whether you want the original CG, Tekken Blood Vengeance CG, or special illustrations from guest artists.

ivqOraQnYT3p3.gif

3. Customize Your Music: Each and every single track can be changed to any mp3 present in your hard-drive. This isn’t restricted to stages, but the menu music can be adjusted, reward screens can be changed accordingly etc. You can even leave personalized messages when someone completes the arcade mode to troll them even. Here is the procedure:

ibdVVJE2AuR1yW.gif

4. Create a Fighter through a customized Combot: Another ambitious and fun venture you can set out to do is to create your own character by purchasing moves from the money gained through fights and allocate them to your Combot to create a fighter that caters specifically to your style. There is a limit to how many types of inputs per limb which is outlined by the bar chart below and you unlock more moves depending on how potently you did the trials in fight lab.

ibub6Hb3t5n6nb.gif

5. WiiU Exclusive Customization Options: With the WiiU release there is another layer of customization available where everyone can use their WiiU controller as a tablet and make their own decals for their characters' attires. Not only that, but Namco got the rights to include a bunch of classic Nintendo characters costumes for the entire cast!

ipcW8J8pDy4js.gif

ibkeXjbadxuTEX.png

iohumzkZFnuUJ.png

Hate to murk up the new thread with this but I felt this needed to be said.

Tekken has quite the learning curve, but that curve turns into a fork. You either go the way that makes that curve even tighter with difficult characters or you go the way that is practically straight with easy characters. And it irritates me to no end to see Namco be completely blind to that fallacy.

News flash, an overpowered easy character is not limited to new players. You are not banned from using Bob because you are now a good player. No offense to Bob players, but I am not exactly jumping for joy to lose to that fatso's antics. I could write several books on how to play Ling Xiaoyu and my journey in Tekken through her eyes. Yet, I have to use every ounce of IQ that I have to beat characters that make Street Fighter characters look deep.

I knew what I signed up for when I picked a petite little school girl, but I sorely miss how Tekken rewarded dedication. I actually welcome Tekken 7 becoming simple on a system wide basis. I honestly hated refloats, there is plenty of ways to make oki rewarding without making noobs feel like there are infinite combos in Tekken. However, including character after character with a high power to low skill output just leaves me depressed and sad.

You don't balance a game that way though. The goal should be to not make characters too good or too garbage. Obviously all developers fail at that and some characters are too good or terrible. Or nerfed for no reason etc etc. Thems the breaks guys. But putting in Time should not be metric of how good character or person should be. Things do not always work out like that in and out of fighting games.

No one should be rewarded just because they play a harder or easier character. If the character is good that's just how the dice rolled. Balancing characters like Xiao or Yoshi or Baek or Hwoarang is almost impossible to do, because buffing a few things here and there can make them completely overpowered. They are gimmick characters by design and despite the effort, you don't want your game to be straight up gimmicky because that can completely imbalance the game. Not to say balance is the holy grail but I'm pretty sure if Eddy was as good as Bob, we would be pulling our hair out.

To think one "deserves" reward for putting in work is silly and borderline scrubby when obviously the one who wants to win i.e. playing easier but good characters should also deserve to win because they are playing to win in the first place. You deciding to play a difficult character and having to go loss after loss is on you. If you're having fun playing that character then that's more important, but if you think you deserve to win or characters that don't take as much effort should NOT win or be that good in the first place then I'm honestly willing to call you a scrub in that instance. Time and dedication are never a for sure method of getting results.

For every low execution good characters there's good high execution good characters so there's not this full range of low execution characters that are good anyways. It's always been like that in fighting games. And yes I'm including other fighting games because Tekken players have no frame of reference and only think Tekken should be a certain way because that is the only game they like or play. I get the sentiment. That's what you like Tekken for. But playing other games opens up perspective and it allows you to see the flaws in something that you would probably have never saw before. it's not about making Tekken into other fighters but making Tekken a better game through the lens of other fighters.

That's all I'm gonna say, this isn't towards just Pixel either. The use of scrub isn't to insult that's just how it sounds.

AAK

Hate to murk up the new thread with this but I felt this needed to be said.

You don't balance a game that way though. The goal should be to not make characters too good or too garbage. Obviously all developers fail at that and some characters are too good or terrible. Or nerfed for no reason etc etc. Thems the breaks guys. But putting in Time should not be metric of how good character or person should be. Things do not always work out like that in and out of fighting games.

No one should be rewarded just because they play a harder or easier character. If the character is good that's just how the dice rolled. Balancing characters like Xiao or Yoshi or Baek or Hwoarang is almost impossible to do, because buffing a few things here and there can make them completely overpowered. They are gimmick characters by design and despite the effort, you don't want your game to be straight up gimmicky because that can completely imbalance the game. Not to say balance is the holy grail but I'm pretty sure if Eddy was as good as Bob, we would be pulling our hair out.

To think one "deserves" reward for putting in work is silly and borderline scrubby when obviously the one who wants to win i.e. playing easier but good characters should also deserve to win because they are playing to win in the first place. You deciding to play a difficult character and having to go loss after loss is on you. If you're having fun playing that character then that's more important, but if you think you deserve to win or characters that don't take as much effort should NOT win or be that good in the first place then I'm honestly willing to call you a scrub in that instance. Time and dedication are never a for sure method of getting results.

For every low execution good characters there's good high execution good characters so there's not this full range of low execution characters that are good anyways. It's always been like that in fighting games. And yes I'm including other fighting games because Tekken players have no frame of reference and only think Tekken should be a certain way because that is the only game they like or play. I get the sentiment. That's what you like Tekken for. But playing other games opens up perspective and it allows you to see the flaws in something that you would probably have never saw before. it's not about making Tekken into other fighters but making Tekken a better game through the lens of other fighters.

That's all I'm gonna say, this isn't towards just Pixel either. The use of scrub isn't to insult that's just how it sounds.

There is merit to your argument... but you have to admit though, it's not very fun dealing with characters that have a one-size fits all button. The part where Tekken gets an exception is because of how many variables and instances that can come up in a match. It's about characters such as Lars having something like d/f+2 or Chreddy with b+1,4... it's not fun they get something that's a high crush + safe + floats to a juggle + mid + launches on CH + tracks(in lars's case) etc.

I don't want to make a blanket statement that low execution = lower tier... BUT these "one size fits all" tools makes the metagame involving these characters so much easier than the others. Hence I can see where Ninthpixel's grievances come from regarding that.

No! Why Lucky Cloe in the title?

ivt06xDJJLlwY.gif

The disadvantages of a democracy :p

Next character to be revealed, Lucky Broey.

He's a musclebound Japanese skinhead who worships American culture. His quotes depend on which outfit you select.

Outfits include:
LP - John Wayne - "Howdy, Pirrrgrim"
RP - Elvis - "Brue Suedeu Shoesu"
LK - The Rock - "Can you SMERR what the Rock is cookeeeeeng?"
RK - Dirty Harry - "So, do you ferr rucky, punku? Werr, do youuuuuu?"
Start - Default appearance - grungy, hung over, wearing a stained wife beater shirt and wielding a mostly empty whiskey bottle. Has makeup smears on his face from the tears.

Degen

You guys should have been in Aris's stream last night

we were using the voice bot to go in on Lucky Chloe

There is merit to your argument... but you have to admit though, it's not very fun dealing with characters that have a one-size fits all button. The part where Tekken gets an exception is because of how many variables and instances that can come up in a match. It's about characters such as Lars having something like d/f+2 or Chreddy with b+1,4... it's not fun they get something that's a high crush + safe + floats to a juggle + mid + launches on CH + tracks(in lars's case) etc.

I don't want to make a blanket statement that low execution = lower tier... BUT these "one size fits all" tools makes the metagame involving these characters so much easier than the others. Hence I can see where Ninthpixel's grievances come from regarding that.

That's the thing you're missing, that doesn't bother me. I don't have these issues with top tier characters that most people have. Top Tier characters are always the one size fit all characters so its not surprising or upsetting to me. Some characters are good, some are bad, some are just ok. You're never gonna get a completely balanced game no matter how hard the developer tries.

That's what I mean by frame of reference though. It happens in every game. It is hard to balance these games and in every game you get characters that can do everything regardless if they are easy or hard to play. And a lot of it is emergent gameplay meaning that we discovered how good these characters are, not the developer because they cannot foresee everything. To blame Namco like this is some new precedent is weird as fuck. this is why we must play different games or at the very least watch and learn them because this should not come as a surprise.

Speaking on Tekken specifically however,by its nature of being a 3D game, its going to feel a bit more "unfair" due to the large amount of variables. So that has to be taken into account that...its a little not put together as solidly as we would like to think it is.

AAK

Mike I understand, and it is unavoidable because I'm pretty sure Bob was pretty much universally nerfed from T6 to become a mid-tier character but he still is dominating. Regardless, it's still something Namco should achieve. They should recognize things like Lars's d/f+2 and Capo's b+1,4 is BAD design and they should strive to correct it. Thankfully Tekken 7's Lars's d/f+2 no longer launches on CH according to KTA. Perfect balance won't happen because like you said, there's too many variables to get perfect results... that doesn't mean we shouldn't address it to Namco so they can try to improve it.

Grayfox! My PC is screaming! This page = RIP computer now.

Mike I understand, and it is unavoidable because I'm pretty sure Bob was pretty much universally nerfed from T6 to become a mid-tier character but he still is dominating. Regardless, it's still something Namco should achieve. They should recognize things like Lars's d/f+2 and Capo's b+1,4 is BAD design and they should strive to correct it. Thankfully Tekken 7's Lars's d/f+2 no longer launches on CH according to KTA. Perfect balance won't happen because like you said, there's too many variables to get perfect results... that doesn't mean we shouldn't address it to Namco so they can try to improve it.

I don't think those moves are bad design though...don't lump me with that lol. Lars and DJ crushing mids? That's what i consider bad design.

Manbig

The thing that really makes me cynical about Tekken Team is that they thought that Lars or Capos having that sort of tool was a good idea in the first place. They've been through several games of horrible imbalance, but kind of keep making the same mistakes over and over again. It makes me wonder if they really are learning from their mistakes, or do they just throw everything + the kitchen sink back in for each new release.

sasuke_91

Guys, this GIF overkill is killing all my mobile devices. The browser crashed everytime I wanted to open this thread^^

Top 10! Haven't posted more about one thing in over a decade.

Rank 9 with one post more than you :p
And all that in less than a year. First post: December 27th 2013

AAK

Please guys, stop posting gifs. At least wait for page 2. I had to adblock all images right now just to load this page.

I went on a bit of a rant there and for that I apologize. Going forward, the goal is balance. However, Namco is clearly designing strong characters that are also easy to play. Which was fine in their first attempt with Lili. A character with clear direction towards new players. However, she was given a very simple yet decisive weakness that keeps her from dominating high level.

Fast forward to Tekken 6 and we get more characters geared towards a newer audience. I would have just took them for a mistake in balancing. However, Zafina was the only complicated character added. And anyone who played her in Tekken 6 as I did, almost wanted to vomit at how she was clearly nerfed to Hell.

Yes, you do not want your game to have characters that break the rules to a degree that no one can take it seriously. However, Tekken has been trying a bit too hard to remove the uniqueness of each character. So much so that overall power and ease of use is really becoming a problem. Almost to the point of being like a racing game. You really are rather foolish to pick a slow car and hope that your skills are enough.

Perhaps it is a scrubby mentality for me to feel as though my training should mean something with a difficult character. I don't take it as an insult because no one really rids themselves of scrubby thoughts. But I mean, wasn't that the reason Mishimas were selected to be top tier other than story based reasons? We want to say balance is the goal, but VF is probably the only game that attempts it. Every other developer seems biased to pick winners and losers).

At the end of the day, I just want to have fun with the characters. Currently, it is not even fun to lose to the overpowered characters of TTT2. Heck, it is not really all that much more fun to lose to any character in TTT2 because of how the game is geared towards making it a close fight. I have to remember the days of T5DR to think of a time where losing was actually still fun. I actually probably left my arcade happier having lost more than won back then. Now a days I have a freaking hole in my wall thanks to TTT2. The frustration has definitely forced me to grow in much wisdom, but I am still quite bitter about it.

Degen

oh THAT'S why I couldn't get back to this thread

I did a ctrl+F for "tekken" and was like WHO MOVED IT???? I'm a dumbass

How did I even make that list

sasuke_91

We just need to spam up the first page with a bunch of nonsense so we never have to look at it again.
Isn't that the way we always handled the thread?
And thanks for the link.

AAK, does Hwoarang's JSFR have any evasive properties? I feel like I ducked a few highs while doing it... or was I just faster?

Sayah

So.......what is everyone doing for fun this weekend?

I can play Tekken later tonight....likely.

Also this page is loading fine for me.

AZUMIKE

So much GIFS...

Still excited for Tekken 7, don't know whether I'd like it mid or late 2016. Its come near SF5 it seems.

Degen

I'll keep spamming cuz I'm bored

from the other thread:

Edit: I would have brought up Jack, but more people relate to Bob. I respect Anakin and all, but Jack should be the first character confirmed to be removed from Tekken 7. You'd have to go download MUGEN to find an easier and more powerful character than Jack. DiveKick characters take more skill than that robot.
Characters like Jack (and Jinpachi) are the types that are supposed to have obvious flaws to counter their high damage, extra range, and low fundamental execution barrier

like T.Hawk in SSF4 or Hulk in UMvC3

sometimes they compensate a little more than they should, but they're pretty much the only characters I really enjoy using

as for the part of your post that I clipped, #FuckBob tho because he is absolutely NOT in the same category lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom