• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weird Recurring Things in Anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
EDIT: I'm not looking for tropes, scenarios, or archetypes. Just weird things that keep popping up?

Has anyone else noticed something super specific in anime that just keeps showing up?
For me, it's the T-shirt with the super loose neck hole. What, are all of these bootlegged or something? And not tank tops, like these:
wy6sGAl.png

I'm talkin' this:
Oo4N3mI.jpg

What have you noticed that rubs you the wrong way?

dluu13

post-25196-BRB-using-imagination-since-no-B9lT.gif

EDIT: oh, you've edited your post. Now that you mention it, I have noticed, but I never paid any attention to it.

I've always thought the moe phenomenon with young girls is weird as hell.

Why do so many modern Anime shows have to feature it?

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I've always thought the moe phenomenon with young girls is weird as hell.

Why do so many modern Anime shows have to feature it?

Because there is a demand for it, just not in the west.

Or, perhaps the cute factor. In the case of Lucky Star, this becomes a sad joke because Konota says that she got a job because she appeals to "special interests", due to her grade school like physique.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I don't know enough about Japanese culture to figure out what's a convention, what's cultural and what's a trope. I could tell you in a heartbeat if it was an American cartoon. This is coming from a person who watches a lot of anime. There's a lot of strange re-occurring themes that are practically Genres rather than simple descriptions because of the shear frequency of occurrence and similarity in portrayal.

Branduil

What's the deal with anime characters being drawn lines on paper scanned into a computer and painted. Don't they know that real people aren't pencil and ink?

Compsiox

Banned
Here are some Crunchyroll Guest Passes:
  • C4PE39KKPUP
  • LWJCJEHMSDM
  • 737R5WXR6R3
For those who don't know:

Receive a free 48-Hour All-Access Guest Pass for every 30 days you are a Premium Member. Gift the Guest Pass to your friends so they can experience the Crunchyroll All-Access Premium Membership!

Azubah

One anime trope I really hate is the 2000+ or 20 year old being built like a lolita child.

It's fucking creepy.

SharkJAW

• C4PE39KKPUP
  • LWJCJEHMSDM
  • 737R5WXR6R3

Receive a free 48-Hour All-Access Guest Pass for every 30 days you are a Premium Member. Gift the Guest Pass to your friends so they can experience the Crunchyroll All-Access Premium Membership!
Thank you!

Igo

• C4PE39KKPUP
  • LWJCJEHMSDM
  • 737R5WXR6R3

Thanks guy.

Superflat

Melting ice cubes in a cup that rearranges the ice and makes clinking noises.

There is no shortage of shows that do this.

Seriously, what the fuck are you showing me, anime.

why so, so many shows are about schoolgirls
I don't believe that some of them are targeted at younger viewers

Schoolgirl outfit and black hair is one of, if not the most popular designs in Japan. That shit sells. Teenage boys, younger adults and 40 year old salary men all love that shit, teenage girls also love it so it hits a shit ton of demographics which is why there are fifty new shows like that every season.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think he means visual or storytelling tics that are so minor they're not worth being called "tropes", but continue to pop up.

The shirt thing is a nice one, I see it often. I guess the visual language of anime just associates heat with loose shirts. Baggy undergarments are very common if characters aren't wearing PJs. Why? No idea.

One thing that i never bothered researching but why is there no kissing in anime. Ultra violence limb and head decapitation is ok but kissing is a big NO.

One thing that i never bothered researching but why is there no kissing in anime. Ultra violence limb and head decapitation is ok but kissing is a big NO.

There's like, quite a bit of kissing in anime, don't really know what you're talking about. Kissing is usually treated as the big ender for romance stories and most shonen don't really have much romance, so maybe you're just not seeing the shows with kissing, because it's fairly common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom