• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Downgraded game

I'd argue Destiny. While we never really saw the game that Bungie was talking about all these years, there's zero chance it was what was released this September.

Seriously ? KZ 2 looks very good to me,even to today standards. I wonder how sony promoted it on first place lol.

they showed off a CG concept trailer

honestly that isn't really a downgrade since that CG thing wasn't even a game to begin with (unless GG tooted it as inengine in which case makes it their fault)

it is like saying that the White Knight Chronicles Concept vid was in engine too (which I believe it wasn't.... right?)

Killzone 2.

Easy.

They did present it as in game for a while, but it was clearly CG so it doesn't count. If CG trailers do count, Killzone 2 is hardly the biggest offender. Even amongst early PS3 trailers I think Motorstorm was a bigger offender.

Actual downgrades... Metal Gear Solid 4? Bioshock Infinite? Dark Souls 2? launch Crysis? I'm sure there are some really big ones I've forgotten about.

Ridley327

honestly that isn't really a downgrade since that CG thing wasn't even a game to begin with

it is like saying that the White Knight Chronicles Concept vid was in engine too (which I believe it wasn't.... right?)

IIRC, WKC was a victim of being on the pre-downgrade PS3 hardware, much like MGS4 was. It was real, but they had no hope of reaching that when the nerf bat came a-swingin'.

The End

Dark Souls 2 was a pretty big downgrade. Not sure if it comes near being the biggest though.

Nah, the PS4/X1 version looks at least as good as the early screenshots and trailers. It's clear they had to cut back to make performance targets on last gen and just cut the PC version to match.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Halo 2 is the one that still stings the most. Other games have had significant visual downgrades but played basically the same (Watch_Dogs) but gameplay, visuals, and scenarios were all significantly pared back from demo to release for Halo 2.

Floridian

4b813939b8db3d5d97af29e0df12ac45.jpg

mp1990

Banned

honestly that isn't really a downgrade since that CG thing wasn't even a game to begin with (unless GG tooted it as inengine in which case makes it their fault)

So,if the difference between real gameplay and CG were a downgrade,every game should have been downgraded,it doesn't make sense for me. Just totally different things.

I will say that Watch Dogs downgraded videogames for me for a time lol. It looks strange saying this,but i hated it so much that for 2 months i couldn't get into anything and i really thought about stopping playing games.

Nah, the PS4/X1 version looks at least as good as the early screenshots and trailers. It's clear they had to cut back to make performance targets on last gen and just cut the PC version to match.

You sure? Several people who played it on PSX said it looked pretty much the same.
Also imo the pictures we've seen so far look like DKS2 on PC.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Halo 2 is the one that still stings the most. Other games have had significant visual downgrades but played basically the same (Watch_Dogs) but gameplay, visuals, and scenarios were all significantly pared back from demo to release for Halo 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_y3cbIV-Xg

Have to agree with this. That's the result of development hell though. That's usually the reason i'm fine with downgrades as long as the game plays like it was advertised.

Aliens Colonial Marines

That initial gameplay demo made me want that game more than anything....and then it was released

Thank God for "Alien Isolation" and Creative Assembly

Top Bottom