• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More FFXV details from Famitsu interview.

Dark_castle

Luminous Studio

The current version of the engine is version 1.40. When the Episode Duscae demo launches, it will be at 1.50. The final version of the game is planned to be 2.00.
There are about five million polygons per frame, witch each character made up of at max 100,000 polygons. The inner hair alone has about 20,000 polygons, which is five times the previous generation.

Character models have around 600 bones, which is roughly 10-12 times greater than what was seen last generation.

Data capacity for textures is also much greater than before.

Final Fantasy XV

Battles against huge enemies are carried out in the same fashion as standard battles, but there will be some exclusive party co-op ctions for the bigger fights.

There will be several mini-games, including fishing.

Restalm (we called it Restaru, then Restarg, we were wrong twice – it’s hard to play by ear sometimes) is being made in the image of the Bahamas.

Right now, the ropeway in Restalm cannot be rode. We might add the ability to ride it if there is time to do so.

The development team wants players to get a feel for the world and find it relatable not just through sheer visuals, but also through the characters.

In town, you can stay in hotels or go shopping.

NPCs in town are controlled by AI, and you can talk to them.

Restalm is a main town in the first half of the game.

Cindy shows up in different places throughout the game. Something happens with her at the start that shakes her up and gets her moving around.

While she’s not deeply involved in the story, she’s relevant because of her profession as a mechanic.

Players will have to fight Summon Beasts in order to be able to use them.
Summon Beasts in the game are a symbol of the power of stars. Only Noctis can actually summon them.

Combat-wise, the plan is holding down a button will start a set combo, but timed button presses are what will enable coordinated moves with other party members.
To parry enemy attacks, you have to match the timing of their strike. This is intended for expert players.

Magic isn’t what consumes MP, nor is the system akin to the Draw system Final Fantasy VIII had.

MP is consumed by using special actions, such as dodging and warping.
Weapons are equipped several at a time, with one main weapon. The main weapon has a corresponding ability, and it’s also possible to switch the main weapon during combat.
Combos are automatically formulated based on which weapon is currently being utilized out of the ones being equipped.

Abilities aren’t separate from a weapon’s given category and there are also weapons that have no abilities at all. Apparently not unlike what was seen in Captain Tsubasa 5, a game that Tabata apparently worked on back in the day.

Rare weapons that can be acquired from dungeons and other sketchy areas could potentially have some hack-and-slash aspects to how they’re used. The Phantom Sword, which floats in midair, will also be acquirable as a special weapon.

The battle system from the demo is planned to be fully featured.

After the Tokyo Game Show this year, the systems going into the demo were slightly changed as a result of fan feedback.

Players will also be able to run around in areas such as the mountainous areas where the Behemoths roam.

In the full version, you’ll be able to rent Chocobos.

Camps are inherently designed to be a safe haven, making them ideal headquarters when setting out to explore new areas.

There are bonuses that come with cooking ingredients purchased in towns and cities. You can also get ingredients off monsters in the wild.

Additionally, the magazine reveals that Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Blu-ray Disc music soundtrack is being planned for release.

Source: http://gematsu.com/2014/12/final-fantasy-xv-detailed-famitsu

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Hype hype hype !

Rad-

Combat-wise, the plan is holding down a button will start a set combo, but timed button presses are what will enable coordinated moves with other party members.
To parry enemy attacks, you have to match the timing of their strike. This is intended for expert players.

Combat just doesn't sound fun to me. I really hope it's not as dumb as this.

Skilletor

Combat just doesn't sound fun to me. I really hope it's not as dumb as this.

Sounds good to me. Timed button presses get me better/more optimal stuff. Hold down the button for the generic combo that pretty much every action game has. Timed parries for people that care about that type of thing (like me).

What's bad about it?

ki_0024_00.png

Tabata was involved in the development of Hasha no Campione? What a surprise.

Armigr

This sounds neat and I'm excited to try it for myself.

I have to know more about the magic system. Can it really not be gated with MP when it looks so powerful? I hope it ends up being something like the 2011 system.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Combat still sounds iffy, but everything else is really good. The technical details for example are really good and show what a jump from last gen this game is. Last gen Lightning for example only had 7000 polygons total for her model in such a sparse environment with hardly any NPC's to speak of outside of one area. And they reused that model for the second and third games too

Rad-

DA:I was GOTY winner with hold button to attack. Similarly, you can button presses just like you would there.

DA:I combat required at least some tactical thinking though, and there were different classes (styles) to play. And I don't think DA:I had that interesting combat.

But this might have tactical aspects too, it just doesn't look like it atm from the trailers/pics.

orioto

Good Art™
DA:I combat required at least some tactical thinking though, and there were different classes (styles) to play. And I don't think DA:I had that interesting combat.

But this might have tactical aspects too, it just doesn't look like it atm from the trailers/pics.

Of course there will be.. It's FF we're talking about, there will be more to it than just mashing buttons.. That's why you have enemies with specific status magic or particular patterns.

So it's not exactly going to the character action route for the combat. I am disappointed, but it's for the best. There are a lot of players that doesn't want FF to go that route.

daveo42

Banned
Everything sounds good so far. I think as far as combat goes, it'll become clearer on how combat actually flows.

The summons being linked to stars mythology sounds excellent. It would be cool if they tie the constellations to them, so when you look up you'll be able to see them.

Dark_castle

The thing is, we are still long way prior to final release. Most of the stuff related to combat focuses on the action side of things, which gives you the illusion that there's no strategy involved. As a matter of fact, there is a Gambit like system in place for micro-management, myriads of main weapons Noctis has access to with unique abilities, summon, magic, parry/counter, group combo, monster free-run mechanic and so on.

We barely scratched the surface of the gameplay here, and I haven't even go into Magitek armor battles, Phantom Sword mechanic, warp /zero shift, etc.

Just like how fighting grunts/low level bandits in DAI don't require any tactical thinking, why does trailers showing fights against low level soldiers showcase any of that?

Famassu

Agreed. I preferred when versus was crisis core/Kingdom hearts style. I suppose the demo will let me know if I'll actually enjoy the combat
It's still that way. The biggest thing they've changed is Noctis being the sole playable character, which makes the game closer to KH, not less like it. Otherwise you can still play it like KH & smash buttons (holding down attack is not the only way to attack), while also trying for parries and other more advanced techniques.

That would be dumb if the western release named her Cindy instead of Cidney, considering Sydney is an actual name and the whole Cid aspect of her name would be lost.

danthefan

Not sure if sarcastic. May seem like a trivial thing, but FFXIII got this wrong by removing NPC conversation. It's back now at least.

If FFXIII could get something wrong, it pretty much got it wrong.

Like what I hear about XV so far though, hope it comes out relatively soon.

Verendus

Banned
Slowdive likely hit on how the combat works, and if that's the case then it seems fine to me

http://giant.gfycat.com/SelfassuredShinyIlsamochadegu.gif
This gif, I think, is based on my impressions which are nearing a year old.

In a recent interview, Tabata gave the impression that we could now button mash too, so I think that is a change that was implemented after the TGS feedback. I would personally wait for more detail because there's probably a lot more to it all now. For one, it seemed like weapon switching was out based on recent comments, but the article in the OP seems to imply it's back in some shape or form.

Basically, it's probably best to wait a little I think. Some of this stuff is going backwards and forwards which doesn't make sense. I don't know if it's translation issues, or just missing detail.

Source: http://gematsu.com/2014/12/final-fantasy-xv-detailed-famitsu

The current version of the engine is version 1.40. When the Episode Duscae demo launches, it will be at 1.50. The final version of the game is planned to be 2.00.

So it will take them 3 months from now to get version 1.50. and if the game is technically planned to be 2.00. that means another 15 months after release of the demo possibly? So another year and 3 months wait for the game?

wmlk

So it will take them 3 months from now to get version 1.50. and if the game is technically planned to be 2.00. that means another 15 months after release of the demo possible? So another year and 3 months wait for the game?

They've been in 1.4 for a while now, and development doesn't work that predictably anyway.

The later Luminous revisions could have barely any changes, and you wouldn't need that long to get to 2.0 if that's the case.

Koozek

This gif, I think, is based on my impressions which are nearing a year old.

In a recent interview, Tabata gave the impression that we could now button mash too, so I think that is a change that was implemented after the TGS feedback. I would personally wait for more detail because there's probably a lot more to it all now. For one, it seemed like weapon switching was out based on recent comments, but the article in the OP seems to imply it's back in some shape or form.

Basically, it's probably best to wait a little I think. Some of this stuff is going backwards and forwards which doesn't make sense. I don't know if it's translation issues, or just missing detail.

Master, how did magic work back when you played it?

Verendus

Banned
Master, how did magic work back when you played it?
Don't do that man, it's weird. And my impressions are all in the old thread.

I'm hoping the overall levelling and ability system is a lot better in this. FFXIII, for a lack of a better word, was pretty crap in that respect. So far the idea of camping etc. sounds pretty interesting since you can hold levels back too from the looks of it.

Top Bottom