• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN connection problems (12/24)

saunderez

I can sign in and connection tests work fine but my download speeds are abysmal (even for my satellite connection), I've been trying to download Dragons Dogma Dark Awakening for nearly 2 weeks now and its only 60% done, I should download 12 GB in under 36 hours. Maybe Sony's doing some kind of defensive stuff that plays really poorly with the large Ping times on satellite (especially when the satellite is overloaded due to it being school holidays).
It's not universally slow though, I downloaded BF4 on New Year's Eve and it took about as long as would be expected on a 20Mbps connection. You're not doing anything weird with your DNS are you? If you're not in the US you should be using a local DNS server to ensure you're getting directed to cache servers close to you. You don't necessarily have to use your ISPs DNS but in my experience using Google DNS and OpenDNS can be detrimental when downloading from edge services like Akamai.

It's not universally slow though, I downloaded BF4 on New Year's Eve and it took about as long as would be expected on a 20Mbps connection. You're not doing anything weird with your DNS are you? If you're not in the US you should be using a local DNS server to ensure you're getting directed to cache servers close to you. You don't necessarily have to use your ISPs DNS but in my experience using Google DNS and OpenDNS can be detrimental when downloading from edge services like Akamai.

Nope, standard DNS for the PS3. Sony's support for satellite internet has always been pretty dodgy though (they didn't officially support it for the PS4 at launch (as in you couldn't connect through it at all)) and I don't know if they've improved it (moved the PS4 to the other house where I have ADSL2+) . Admittedly Sony is not alone in this, the Wii was barely functional on satellite at launch (the Eshop didn't work to download stuff) but was fine by EOL and the Xbox 360 is extremely persnickety requiring multiple tries to download updates).

JackTorrance

Neo Member
I can sign in and connection tests work fine but my download speeds are abysmal (even for my satellite connection), I've been trying to download Dragons Dogma Dark Awakening for nearly 2 weeks now and its only 60% done, I should download 12 GB in under 36 hours. Maybe Sony's doing some kind of defensive stuff that plays really poorly with the large Ping times on satellite (especially when the satellite is overloaded due to it being school holidays).

Who is your provider? I'm also on satellite (Exede) and can't access trophies, the PSN store, or anything else.

I did find this thread on Exede forums where it appears that Sony did "something" that might have to do with latency because both Hughesnet and Wildblue (Exede) users were affected. Hughesnet appears to be working on it, while Wildblue (per usual) refuses to acknowledge any problems exist....

Post #24 has the links to hughesnet's support thread

http://www.wildblueworld.com/forum/...longer-connect-to-xbox-live-or-download/page3

TsuWave

i didn't change any of my settings and i can play online but the messaging is atrocious on my ps4. even worse than what it used to be. it takes 34 to 50 minutes for someone to get a message i sent

Who is your provider? I'm also on satellite (Exede) and can't access trophies, the PSN store, or anything else.

I did find this thread on Exede forums where it appears that Sony did "something" that might have to do with latency because both Hughesnet and Wildblue (Exede) users were affected. Hughesnet appears to be working on it, while Wildblue (per usual) refuses to acknowledge any problems exist....

Post #24 has the links to hughesnet's support thread

http://www.wildblueworld.com/forum/...longer-connect-to-xbox-live-or-download/page3

I've got NBN Satellite in Australia (I primarily use a US PSN account). Things have drastically improved over the last two days though,I've downloaded ~5 GB in the last 48 hours, which is a massive improvement over Christmas through New Year when I downloaded under a gig the entire week and downloads would just hang. Its still not right though I should be downloading ~12 GB in 24-48 hours depending on satellite load during peak.

Web store is working fine here, not sure what the problem is on your end. I've used it a few times over the last couple of days and just checked prior to posting this.

I gave it a shot in Firefox and was able to log in fine! It's just in Chrome that I get "Login Failed." If I put in an incorrect password it tells me that it's wrong. But If I put in the correct password, it fails.

Hmmm. Tried an incognito window in Chrome and sign-on worked. Must be an extension or other leftover data causing the issue and it is just coincidence that it coincided with the PSN outage. Strange.

otapnam

So I've had my ps4 for about a month now. When i first got it, it connected just fine but after a patch its had horrible connections to psn. I tried port forwarding but that hasnt fixed the issue. However, my wireless cable boxes are using port 443 so i couldn't fwd that one. I'm not sure if that's holding me back.

I downloaded amazon prime and it streams just fine in hd so i dont know what the problem is.

Any ideas? Thanks

Are other people on satellite still having issues ?

I did a live chat with Sony Technical Support today and there official position is that there is no issue on their side, despite PSN working fine on my wireless internet and steam working fine on my satellite connection. My PSN is still managing the amazing feat of downloading 5 MB in ~4 minutes and 50 seconds while my PS3 connection test gives 2.3 Mbps (ie 17.25 MB per minute). This would suggest to me at least that something is wrong.

Running a speed test on the same connection using my laptop I get 2.62 Mbps / 328 KB/sec ie 19.20 MB per minute.

Top Bottom