• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD designing an x86 or ARM chip for a "game console" to be introduced 2016

ekim

http://seekingalpha.com/article/273...supply-chain-conference?page=2&p=qanda&l=last

The design wins are interesting because the funding, the R&D dollars for customizing the parts for the products to our customers is precisely pre-funded by the customer and like I said the workload is started and we are spending the money and the resources and the work to go ahead and design the parts to be introduced sometime in 2016.

We didn’t say at which space it is in. I’m not going to give too much detail. I’ll say that one is x86 and one is ARM, and atleast one will be on gaming, right. But that’s about as much as you going to get out me today, because the customers from the standpoint to be fair to them. It is their product. They launch it. They announce it and then just like the game console or the parts you find out that its AMD’s APU that’s been used in those products.

Chances are that the game console may use the ARM design but from the rest of the interview it rather reads like this is going to be used for a server customer.

My bet is on Nintendo. But 2016 seems a little bit early for a release.

Blablurn

Could be long awaited Apple Console. The console we were all waiting for. God. LETS DO THIS AMD. Where can I type my CC number?

Oregano

We discussed this in the Nintendo hiring thread. AMD made a comment last year about wanting to get in on the handheld gaming market and cited the 3DS.

There's a decent chance it's ARM based and for the 3DS' successor.

EDIT: Here's the thread from last year.

NickFire

Seems more than 1 product, so even if one is the wii u 2 (or whatever) chipset, it does not necessarily mean that product is launching in 2016.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Wii Me?
Could be long awaited Apple Console. The console we were all waiting for. God. LETS DO THIS AMD. Where can I type my CC number?
A console from Apple would be the end of all good things.

Hmm. Would Nintendo release a new home console before it's new handheld? He said "at least one" would be gaming. Could they be released simultaneously? Would make sense if they play the same software.

At the same time would Nintendo allow such an announcement like this when they would be the obvious guess as to who it would be?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If we go off of Nintendo's 5 year schedule, the Wii U released 2 years ago. An announcement in 2016 with a release in 2017 would make it five years exactly.

LeleSocho

Banned

Apple is not making a console.
If it was it would not use x86 but ARM and they design ARM chips themselves.
If it was using x86 it would not be AMD because they are in bed with Intel.

neptunes

So, Alibaba gets the x86 console and NCL gets the ARM handheld.
How about alibaba get the x86 chips and some other unrelated company gets the arm chips?

These could be for anyone, hell even Samsung. Claiming anything else is wishful thinking

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Apple is not making a console.

They might pimp up their next iteration of the Apple TV such that it can run iOS apps and games. But in that case I agree with you, they would just use one of their SoCs from the iPad line.

Noobcraft

While apple would definitely make a top notch console design, I'm afraid their current app store market would start a race to the bottom for console games. I'm OK paying a premium over mobile games for a well done experience.

Javin98

Banned
Seems too early for a Nintendo console. I expected one in late 2017 at the very earliest. But at the rate the Wii U is selling, Nintendo may want to forget about it and push out its successor. It's more likely the 3DS's successor IMO

yuraya

Maybe its a Steam Machine? But it probably has something to do with Sony and MS since AMD has a deal with them.

Bricky

The Wii U probably peaked this year and the 3DS has been around for a while, the introduction of some new Nintendo platform would make sense.

My safe bet is on a reveal at E3 2015 with a release somewhere in 2016.

QaaQer

Seems too early for a Nintendo console. I expected one in late 2017 at the very earliest. But at the rate the Wii U is selling, Nintendo may want to forget about it and push out its successor. It's more likely the 3DS's successor IMO

Makes sense. The other one could be the qol thing.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
By the way, the thread title is inaccurate, no? The chip can be x86-based or ARM-based.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That would be the other possible candidate.

On the Nintendo front though it also lines up with Iwata's comment about needing two years to redefine gaming devices.
Right, I just wanted to throw the other possibility out there too since I don't think anyone expects Sony or Microsoft to shift then, so Nintendo would be the first guess of most people.

Top Bottom