• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tutorial: How I'm Streaming PS2 games (and more) to my Android Tablet

CaLe

Disclaimer: You will need a GeForce GTX 650 or higher GPU (i.e.: any nvidia card with GameStream support). You will also need to own the PS2 games you're streaming.

Edit: For alternatives in the event where you don't have a GeForce GPU, please see this post and this post.

Mods, if this breaks any rules, please lock. Thanks !

----

I've recently purchased an Nvidia Shield Tablet, and while streaming PC games worked perfectly I also wanted to be able to play my backlog of PS2 games while my wife watched TV, or while in bed. The solution is relatively straightforward. Here's a video showcasing the low latency:

http://a.pomf.se/enwpwa.webm

Note: In this video, the tablet is connected to my 5Ghz wifi channel and not Ethernet. Expect better results when connected through Ethernet, I can take another video if you guys are interested

You will need:

- A *rooted* Android tablet (required for SixAxis Controller, see next point) EDIT: Rooting might be optional actually, see the following post, thanks koshunter.
- SixAxis Controller installed on your Android tablet. This is used to sync the Dualshock to your tablet.
- Limelight installed on your Android tablet. Limelight is a port of GameStream by Nvidia.
- A Nyko Smart Clip (to attach the Tablet to the Dualshock 4)
- A Dualshock 4 (I believe a Dualshock 3 would also work, but I haven't tried one with my clip / SixAxis Controller app)
- For optimal WiFi performance, a router, tablet and PC with support for the 5Ghz band, or...
- Ideally, both your PC and Android tablet should be connected through Ethernet to your router. In the case of my Shield tablet, I'm using a USB To Ethernet dongle connected to an OTG adapter. This is optimal in order to have as little latency and lag spikes during gameplay as possible.
- PCSX2 installed and configured on your PC
- GeForce Experience installed and configured on your PC

The clip I'm using to attach my tablet to the controller:

id0WpyFk7xdWF.jpg

Some pictures of my setup:

iFfBeweRLy3tq.jpg
iDwooiPCyCAEC.jpg
ibksheuxrriiB2.jpg
ilQJJNFQU2hU0.jpg
iCxY9YG9PInwo.jpg
iboPetBAIOR1Zq.jpg

Contrary to what you believe, holding the tablet in that setup is really not that heavy. I was also surprised that this setup would work and that the clip could be extended to fit an 8" tablet. The tablet doesn't wobble around and is securely attached to the controller. You could hold the setup in a way that the tablet is facing down, and it would not fall.

Creating and configuring the PCSX2 shortcut:

- Simply create a shortcut to your PCSX2 executable and edit it by adding the following command line flags:

"PathToYour.exe" --usecd "PathToYourPS2Image" --fullscreen

Adding the PCSX2 shortcut to GameStream (required so that the game appears in Limelight on your Tablet):

- Open GeForce Experience on your PC
- Navigate to the Preferences tab
- Select GameStream on the left
- Click on the "+" sign on the right, and then browse to your newly created PCSX2 shortcut
- Optional: Double click the new entry in the table and edit the name and BoxArt (I believe the best dimensions for the BoxArt are 800x1080)

This would also work with Dolphin and obviously any PC game. I'm also able to stream PS4 games to my tablet by using a modified version of the Remote Play app by Sony. If you're interested, I can give more details. There's also almost no latency issues with streaming PS4 games, as long as the PS4 and Tablet is conntected through Ethernet.

I hope some of you will find this post interesting and will try it out. If you also have an Android tablet and a good router / PC, all you'd need to buy is the Nyko clip (or any other clip that fits the bill).

Even though if I appreciate your efforts OP, I feel like it's a tedious experience to do.
Would be easier with a Windows 8 tablet with Steam In-home Streaming... and it's not exclusive to nVidia... and far cheaper too.

ALTHOUGH ! I'm really interested in your Nyko Smartclip + DS4 setup... isn't that a bit heavy ? I mean, I tried a 10inch tablet + Dualshock 3... and it was kinda heavy in the sense that the weight wasn't well distributed. What I want to know isn't "Is it working" but more like... how does it feel after 2 hours ? Can you still play well ? Or is it a bit shaky ? Expecting an honest answer on this one.

CaLe

Even though if I appreciate your efforts OP, I feel like it's a tedious experience to do.
Would be easier with a Windows 8 tablet with Steam In-home Streaming... and it's not exclusive to nVidia... and far cheaper too.

ALTHOUGH ! I'm really interested in your Nyko Smartclip + DS4 setup... isn't that a bit heavy ? I mean, I tried a 10inch tablet + Dualshock 3... and it was kinda heavy in the sense that the weight wasn't well distributed.

Thanks for the reply. It's actually relatively simple once you get the hang of it and you already have a rooted tablet. I only had a few apps to install and setup. Otherwise, yeah rooting can be a pain. I agree that it requires some time, but it was a fun little side-project :)

I was also greatly surprised with the low latency.

I have rather big hands so I don't really have any problem holding the controller and tablet. I'm also most of the time in bed or seated, so I can easily place my hands on my legs, which drastically reduce the weight of the setup. Honestly, I haven't had any issues playing for long periods of time, but I'd like to warn that it might be different for each individual. The clip only cost me 9.99$, so I took the plunge and hoped for the best and was pleasently surprised.

Please note that I could also be using my Android phone, which would drastically reduce the weight of the setup.

Thanks for the reply. It's actually relatively simple once you get the hang of it and you already have a rooted tablet. I only had a few apps to install and setup. Otherwise, yeah rooting can be a pain. I agree that it requires some time, but it was a fun little side-project :)

I was also greatly surprised with the low latency.

I have rather big hands so I don't really have any problem holding the controller and tablet. I'm also most of the time in bed or seated, so I can easily place my hands on my legs, which drastically reduce the weight of the setup.

Well, on that matter, you could still use an iPega 9023:
Weight is better distributed this way.

Mmh... How's the weight repartition with a Nexus 7 ?

It definitely falls over to the side of the tablet if you put it down but holding it in your hand with the Nyko clip, its not much of a problem. I rest my hands in my lap when I play so maybe that's part of it.

The other picture posted is bound to be much more comfortable. In this setup, you always notice the weight.

I've been messing around with Kainy on my Shield Portable since I have an AMD GPU and it's been pretty nuts. It detects the Shield controller as a native XInput device, which drops the setup time down immensely.

It definitely falls over to the side of the tablet if you put it down but holding it in your hand with the Nyko clip, its not much of a problem. I rest my hands in my lap when I play so maybe that's part of it.

The other picture posted is bound to be much more comfortable. In this setup, you always notice the weight.

Yeah... I think I'll stick with my current setup with iPega. Even if compatibility isn't as good as DS4 on Windows 8... it's a lot more comfortable.

Burt

Not to get too off-topic, but if anyone's looking for a cheap alternative, I jumped on this crazy Microcenter deal for a $60 Windows tablet to do pretty much the same thing.

Install Steam on the tablet, add your emulator to your Steam library via "Games" -> "Add a non-Steam game to my library", plug the controller dongle in to the USB port, and boot up in-home streaming. It's a good inexpensive alternative for people that don't have an Nvidia GPU. Still working some kinks out, but overall it's pretty solid.

CaLe

Not to get too off-topic, but if anyone's looking for a cheap alternative, I jumped on this crazy Microcenter deal for a $60 Windows tablet to do pretty much the same thing.

Install Steam, plug the controller dongle in to the USB port, and boot up in-home streaming. It's a good inexpensive alternative for people that don't have an Nvidia GPU. Still working some kinks out, but overall it's pretty solid.

Thanks Burt and Piston Hyundai, I've updated the OP with your findings. I'm sure people without a Nvidia GPU will appreciate it.

akira28

I use an OTG usb attachment, and an xbox360 controller, but I haven't tried streaming an emulator through steam streaming, or limelight yet. seems logical. I'll give it a shot.

TIL: Limelight is a thing.

I'm gonna try to get this setup going tonight on my Note 10.1 2014. Also, how intrusive is the setup for PS4 streaming?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a way to have my computer still pick up my 360 controller while streaming instead of it being my android device?

If you use a wireless 360 pad with dongle, that has pretty good range, plus the cable extends about 6 feet. Works fine for steam home streaming if you can stay connected.

Or long USB extension if it doesn't quite reach

pfkas

The ipega is good for some things, but the sticks do not have enough finesse on them for FPS for instance, Rage is impossible.

But yeah I can vouch for the smart clip route - I haven't rooted my tablet so I've been running a usb cable.

I'd like to get it fully wireless though so will look into rooting it.

If you use a wireless 360 pad with dongle, that has pretty good range, plus the cable extends about 6 feet. Works fine for steam home streaming if you can stay connected.

Or long USB extension if it doesn't quite reach

I'm using a wireless 360 pad but for some reason when I start up a game my android device doesn't pick up any of my inputs

ss_lemonade

While using Limelight with my Shield Portable plugged to my tv was great, there would always be random hitches here and there. Steam home streaming on the other hand seems to work perfectly on my Surface Pro

Top Bottom