• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now Subscription Program: All The Details

16015562780_8f9950c70e_z.jpg

You’ve been able to rent games through PlayStation Now for several months now, but many of you have asked –- what about a subscription? I’m pleased to announce that starting January 13th, we’ll launch a subscription service for PlayStation Now that will provide instant and unlimited access to a catalog of more than 100 PS3 games. And since you’re using PlayStation Now, you can enjoy the freedom to quickly discover and play a wide range of full games without downloads, installs, or patches (not to mention trips to the store). The subscription service will be available first on PS4 across North America, and will come to other PlayStation Now enabled devices in the future.
You’ll be able to choose from two subscription plans: one month for $19.99, or a three-month package for $44.99 (about $15 per month). The subscription provides access to a large and diverse catalog of PS3 games, ranging from action to RPG and everything in-between. Check out our launch trailer for a sneak peek.

We know that there are many PS4 owners who never owned a PS3 or had a chance to play some of the great games it offered, and this subscription provides an easy way to catch up on games you may have missed.
Want to try before you buy? Well, good news! We’ll also offer a free seven-day trial to the subscription program when it launches.
PlayStation Now subscription will have strong and growing support from our publishing partners, and at launch you’ll find great games in your catalog from the likes of SCE Worldwide Studios, Warner Brothers, SEGA, and many others, including indie developers. Here’s a look at some of the key titles

There’s strong value with the subscription, as you’re getting access to over a hundred great games and lots of hours of game time. What’s more, we will be adding even more games over time, so you will always have something great to play.
Also, to celebrate the launch of the subscription service, a free PlayStation Now theme will be available for PS4 users in early January. If you download the theme before January 31, you’ll be automatically entered into a drawing for a chance to win a one-year subscription to PlayStation Now. I hope you will give the new PlayStation Now subscription a try, and I look forward to hearing your continued feedback as we grow the service.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015...bscription-program-all-the-details/#sf6733256

any news of them improving the streaming quality? really kind of terrible for most of the games I have tried.

keep your PS3's people!

Maulik

Can you access multiplayer or coop with ps now or only single player?

I think 15 a month is reasonable.

dugdug

Banned
$20 a month is just *slightly* too high, IMO. Could have been worse, though.

Still, glad they're doing this.

I wanted a subscription package at first but looking at the content and the price it's probably going to be better to cherry pick the content I want and pay for it individually.

Maybe if the selection improves and includes PS1/PS2.

$15 per month for access to over 100 games is not bad at all compared to "competing" services like Gamefly which cost about the same.

I've got a full gig directly to my apartment and PlayStation Now has worked exceedingly well.

Kosma

Banned
Ill sub at that price if this comes to the EU and it works decent.

I wish they had some sort of BC substitute for people who already own the PS3 games.

You want Sony to provide a free streaming service to many devices because you own an old PS3 game? Bit much no?

This is a whole new service.

I mean I'd love if I could stream all my old DVDs, VHS and CD's for free too on my 2015 devices.

SerTapTap

Okay wow people are bitching about the price when it's basically Gamefly prices with zero waiting and 100+ games at your finger tips instead of one at a time. I'm convinced there is no reasonable price point Sony could possibly strike without massive whining.

Hasney

Surely they are already patched, so it is a positive.

Yeah, the patching is done server side.

I'm down for this. $20 is nowt for that many games.
I'm guessing that if you access this from the UK there are going to be issues? has anyone tried?

I did a trial with Crazy Taxi once it was open to everyone and it just refused to load saying the connection wasn't good enough. I remember someone saying that it worked for them later on though, so I might give it another shot when I have some change.

dugdug

Banned
Okay wow people are bitching about the price when it's basically Gamefly prices with zero waiting and 100+ games at your finger tips instead of one at a time. I'm convinced there is no reasonable price point Sony could possibly strike without massive whining.

Gamefly games don't lag, though. It's a quality issue as well.

Considering over 100 games are available I don't think the price points are bad. Interesting how they set up their tiers as 1month or 3month packages.

Hopefully us EU guys don't get shafted with the price. Lord knows UK PS store prices are eye watering at the best of times.

Storm360

Surely they are already patched, so it is a positive.

That's not a positive, sometimes patches aren't a good thing.

$20 a month seems far too expensive for something like this, considering games can be removed at any time, you can't play offline and physical copies themselves of PS3 stuff is dirt cheap now

SerTapTap

I'm guessing that if you access this from the UK there are going to be issues? has anyone tried?

It'll be £19.99.

Not sure if the service has actual roadblocks in place, but since you're going to be hitting a US datacenter you're going to be massively increasing your ping

That's not a positive, sometimes patches aren't a good thing.

$20 a month seems far too expensive for something like this, considering games can be removed at any time, you can't play offline and physical copies themselves of PS3 stuff is dirt cheap now

Do you honestly think they would bother offering options/manual patches for the 1% of situations where an unpatched game is preferable?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So you have to pay for PS+ on top of this?

Z3M0G

For someone who owns a PS4 and never owned a PS3, this would be a great value.

Since I still own and play my PS3, this service is obviously not for me, but it was never meant to be.

But someone like me may rent a game for $2-3 to try it out before buying.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
That's actually cheaper than I thought, 15 a month is only a little more than what I pay for WoW

So you have to pay for PS+ on top of this?

Does this surprise you? It's a separate service.

Top Bottom