• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U) has an update?

Well the impossible might be happening; Sega/BRB might actually be patching something in the game.

Someone at Sonic Stadium mentions this:

ROL has an update on Wii U available and it appears to be a hefty one. My friend has told me it is a gigabyte in size but I've yet to see that myself.

No idea what's in this but I'll report back if I see anything.

Question is, what is this update all about?

UPDATE: Friend has clarified the update to be 1030MB approximately. He's playing the game right now but can't see much of a difference other than the game now being at version 1.1.0. For a update this size, it has to be beyond bug fixes.

I checked myself but nothing yet, but it's about 10AM EST here so the eShop hasn't updated yet (usually does at 12PM EST). So maybe it's out in EU?

Anyone else able to confirm?

Explore new areas!

RDJlTG7.gif

bomblord1

Banned
Considering the sheer number of bugs It would not surprise me in the least if this was a completely overhaul dedicated entirely to bug fixes.

Spades

I was hoping to pick this game up cheap over Christmas as I would like to play it, but for some reason it's still full price everywhere!

Rapstah

Maybe the patch is so big because they patched the levels to block off the parts where you could fall out of the world and CryEngine means they have to replace the entire level file each time?

This makes me wonder how different games like 06 would have been if Sega had used patches to fix most Gameplay problems it had post launch.

Didn't Lost World get a huge update around this time last year too? Is this gonna be a trend with Sonic from now on?

Zafir

This makes me wonder how different games like 06 would have been if Sega had used patches to fix most Gameplay problems it had post launch.

Didn't Lost World get a huge update around this time last year too? Is this gonna be a trend with Sonic from now on?

Sonic 06 was flawed from a level design perspective also, so unless they planned on redoing significant chunks of a lot of levels, it would still be poor.

At least with Lost World, most of the levels were all right, it was just a few questionable choices which could easily be rectified(No life from 100 rings etc), and a few levels at the end with poor design which didn't detract too much imo.

Falk

that puzzling face
Like wise.

I'm morbidly curious. Unfortunately(for them) not insane enough to pay £30 though.

But but but if this thread is any indication, by the time the game is bargain bin much of the hilarity might have already been patched away into the ether.

(I don't own a Wii U and idk how convenient/inconvenient it would be to take it offline for pristine off-the-shelf experience and/or if OS updates make unpatched games unplayable)

Lost World wasn't buggy, but it did fix a lot of poor design choices like no life per 100 rings and the DLC fixed some issues with not having any lives and needing flickies to progress. It did make the game much better.
If the only noticable thing it fixed was Knuckles then this update ruined the game

Lijik

(I don't own a Wii U and idk how convenient/inconvenient it would be to take it offline for pristine off-the-shelf experience and/or if OS updates make unpatched games unplayable)

When you boot up a game it says "Hey theres an update" and you can choose "no thanks" and just play it unpatched.
I have no idea if it installs it in the background while you're playing/leaving the console on standby or anything though.

SerTapTap

Sonic 06 would have been a huge effort to fix. The load times seem like they wouldn't be a quick fix,there's clipping issues all over, even if they fixed the bugs the level design is pretty boring and a step down from even Adventure 1.

When you boot up a game it says "Hey theres an update" and you can choose "no thanks" and just play it unpatched.
I have no idea if it installs it in the background while you're playing or anything though.

Yeah, I'm sure if you needed to play unpatched for speedrunning you could, I'm not entirely sure how hard it is to keep from getting the patch though. At least for digital games I think it downloads patches automatically (not sure if it applies). I've never tried to keep an old version on my wii u (or anything for that matter)

Revven

It's apparently EU only so far

I'm able to start the game without any update prompt, and I still have the Knuckles glitch... can anyone confirm this patch actually exists?

it's EU only as far as I know

Source

If it's Europe only then I suppose anyone with Boom outside of Europe who wants to keep the glitches should disable automatic updating now.

Source

So if you want to keep the "best" version of Sonic Boom you better turn off automatic updating otherwise you won't be able to get it back.

Regiruler

LW's update wasn't very big. It just fixed 1-2 glitches (nothing epidemic) and changed the balance for the better by making rings give 1-ups again.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I refuse to believe that they actually included that sound effect in the game, holy shit that's awful.

First comment:
I see a bunch of people on Neogaf are viewing this. Allow me to say this :

Yes this is real, check the sound options and lower everything BUT the voices. This here is a thing of beauty.

Seik

Banned
LW's update wasn't very big. It just fixed 1-2 glitches (nothing epidemic) and changed the balance for the better by making rings give 1-ups again.

I'd call this more like ''Making good sense'' than balance. :lol

Never understood why it wasn't like that in the first place, it made rings totally useless.

narton

Rise of Lyric I think is still $30 at best buy. Was thinking of getting it. I believe patches can be deleted or you just temporarily turn off your net.

Blues1990

The patch must be fixing the Infinite Jump Glitch with Knucles, which is hilarious if true.

Also, Big Red Button Entertainment still exists? Who knew?

Top Bottom