• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot: Why I'm not excited for Forza Motorsport 6

RoKKeR

This is a terrible take, no shit if you aren't into "Motorsport" you aren't going to enjoy a track-based, simulation-oriented racer like Motorsport as much as you are an open world romp like Horizon. It's not "better", it's different. And I love Horizon.

I'm excited as hell for FM6. Forza 5 was a good, albeit shallow base for the next generation of sim racers, and between that and PCars it's a great year for gear heads.

Thanks for trying though GS.

This is like a CoD player saying "why I'm not excited for the next Counter Strike".

That's fine but the fact that Forza 6 is closed-circuit is precisely why I'm looking forward to it.

That said, Horizon is an awesome series as well.

nib95

Banned
Bloody hell at that summary…

Colin_Farrel-Disgusted.gif

Different strokes for different folks I guess. But I always like to think variety is the spice of life. Hate to pigeon hole myself to just a narrow set of genre constraints.

Doukou

Very American point of view I think. And one I strongly disagree with. Why can't there be room for both :(
That's the thing, there is room for both. Not sure I get the point GameSpot is making. Both Horizon and Motorspot seem well off.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
They could have just wrote Forza Motorsport 5 instead as the answer to their question.

Don't agree with the notion that every racing game has to be open world. Thats just crazy.

23qwerty

tl;dr closed circuit sim racers are old news. Forza Horizon is the future.

Do they realize that there's been (probably) more open world racers than closed track racers for quite a long time now? (when it comes to moderately high profile games at the very least)

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
They could have just wrote Forza Motorsport 5 instead as the answer to their question.

Don't agree with the notion that every racing game has to be open world. Thats just crazy.

Bingo.

Open world is fine, give me closed circuit any day of the week though.

I think 2 years is too fast of a cycle for traditional Forza, I think Gran Turismo has it right with 1-2 games per gen. Just keep the games supported with new cars tracks until the next entry. I just don't think theres enough room for change in just 2 years for games like these.

Anion

I feel like a lot of people are going to end of aligning their thoughts with him tbh, even though I disagree. Horizon 2 is really a fantasy simulator - which is a lot more appealing to more people I could say.

Personally I can't wait for forza 6

Shengar

Different strokes for different folks I guess. But I always like to think variety is the spice of life. Hate to pigeon hole myself to just a narrow set of genre constraints.
I'm no racing genre fan or anything, but as a hunting genre fan I know how that feels. I always wonder why certain genre have persisting problem like this while others that have high diversity, such as shooters, don't.

nib95

Banned
Gamespot are still peddling that Driveclub AI only cares about the race line complaint, which has already been proven certifiably false. And apparently track based racers aren't designed to maximise the pure thrill of driving, and don't offer any exhilarating "OMG I am the greatest" moments in them. Also the drifting is so hard and frustrating in Driveclub, it just makes no sense. Oh and the soulless comment thrown in for good measure. Sigh….

The fact that he reiterated these exact points from their review, instead of going back and maybe re-analysing them given the opposing gamer response and videos showing evidence to the contrary, kind of says a lot.

kyser73

Gamespot are still peddling that Driveclub AI only cares about the race line complaint, which has already been proven certifiably false. And apparently track based racers aren't designed to maximise the pure thrill of driving, and don't offer any exhilarating "OMG I am the greatest" moments in them. Also the drifting is so hard and frustrating in Driveclub, it just makes no sense. Oh and the soulless comment thrown in for good measure. Sigh….

It's just not PURE FANTASY man.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I think 2 years is too fast of a cycle for traditional Forza, I think Gran Turismo has it right with 1-2 games per gen. Just keep the games supported with new cars tracks until the next entry. I just don't think theres enough room for change in just 2 years for games like these.

FM4 is one of the best racing games ever, and that was done in two years time. Like every other Forza game.

GT5 took however long and was an abysmal mess at launch.

After the unlimited freedoms I have in Grand Theft Auto 5 - cars, bikes, flying, boats, on-foot, guns, chases, missions, first person view .... I don't think I could go back to a simple racing game like Forza Horizon.

Just takin his argument to the next level.

I don't even understand why that video was made.
Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.
Today I might want an arcade open world, tomorrow I might want a sim track racer.
Variety, man.

FM4 is one of the best racing games ever, and that was done in two years time. Like every other Forza game.

GT5 took however long and was an abysmal mess at launch.

I'm not talking about dev time needed to make a game work good, I'm talking about time needed to keep it fresh, I don't feel theres enough changes in 2 years time to keep me hyped for the new games. I get "Madden syndrome" if you know what I mean.

I'M not excited about The Last Guardian because I don't like thing. Now where's my paycheque, Gamespot?

But seriously, I can kind of see his point but Forza Horizon 2 isn't even that open of an open-world racer. Compared to something like Midnight Club, where picking your own route through the city is part of the challenge, Horizon 2 sticks pretty closely to the track-based racing that's supposedly so tyrannical. Even the races that should encourage you to find your own path, the cross-country races, are extremely linear and tend to punish creative shortcuts just as much as they reward them.

Though both of the Xbox One Forza games have their flaws, I enjoyed playing both and think there's plenty of room for both styles of play. If anything, the real reason I'm not that excited for FM6 is because I just played FM5, not because I think track circuit racing is done as a genre.

viveks86

Revenge of the corridor 2: Electric Boogaloo

I feel sad if a majority feels this way. Never imagined circuit racing would become a dying genre.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I'm not talking about dev time needed to make a game work good, I'm talking about time needed to keep it fresh, I don't feel theres enough changes in 2 years time to keep me hyped for the new games. I get "Madden syndrome" if you know what I mean.

Yeah, I get what you mean.

Kevin van Ord wrote the Driveclub review. Andy Bauman is the voice from the video.

Oh... huh I just assumed it was Kevin because his name flashed up in the Driveclub bit. My mistake.

(I didn't even see Andy's name come up the first time, I went back and looked again and there it popped up.) (Getting late, time for me to head off soon hah)

saladine1

"Tyranny of the track"... wtf?!/

Variety is the key.

I would die if every racing game was like Horizon or if every racing game was like Motorsport

I like to change it up and sometimes I feel like the freedom of the open road, sometimes I feel like circuit racing.

nib95

Banned
I don't agree with that view but I sure as hell don't want another Forza 5.

Launch games and first titles of a franchise that release early in a new consoles life, generally suffer somewhat in terms of content, features and overall level of polish. I get the feeling Forza 6 will be a more accomplished affair.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I don't agree with that view but I sure as hell don't want another Forza 5.

You don't want another system launch racing game?

Well seeing as there are no consoles launching anytime soon I'm sure you won't have a problem.

Very American point of view I think. And one I strongly disagree with. Why can't there be room for both :(

I'm American and I don't agree with him at all.

kyser73

"Tyranny of the track"... wtf?!/

Variety is the key.

I would die if every racing game was like Horizon or if every racing game was like Motorsport

I like to change it up and sometimes I feel like the freedom of the open field, sometimes I feel like circuit racing.

FTFY

Top Bottom