• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 - Impressions

So today I was fortunate enough to attend a exclusive Witcher 3 event hosted by CD Projekt and Microsoft where I got to play the first 3 hours of the game. First of all, from speaking with the dev team, the game is pretty much done. They are in polish mode to iron out bugs and make last minute changes. Far as I can tell, the game is good to go. I want it now! Just based on my limited time with the game, I can already tell this will be my GOTY or at the least, GOTY contender for sure. The game starts off with the usual tutorial and overview of the mechanics. What's great is even the tutorial, it integrates with the overall story in such a great way. Not surprising from CD Project. Also the adult theme which I want to emphasize is very apparent from the start and has a very Game of Thrones vibe to it to make the most familiar comparison to for those of you who haven't played any of the Witcher titles. The outfits, architecture, dialog, the characters is done perfectly to draw you into the world and lore. The combat is smoother than ever and much more intuitive and fun without making it easy. The horse mechanic is awesome and very similar to Red Dead. I like the fact that you can just hold down "A" and it will automatically steer you to the direction you need to go. Great way to check out the beautiful surroundings and vistas. And when I say vistas.. Holy shit! You will be amazed! The engine has no inky blotches to draw far away vistas. Anywhere you look and no matter how far, your eyes will be treated to beautiful scenery as any digital painting. When I say far, i mean FAR! Like holy shit far. When i brought up my in game map which I thought was the entire map. But when the dev showed me the world map, and that where I was looking was just a tiny portion to the south, my jaw dropped. Seriously, the map is huge! No wonder the avg play test of the game is 200 hours. Anyways, you guys are in for a big treat and I can't wait till May comes. I can't even imagine what Cyberpunk 2077 will be like, but judging anything from the Witcher 3, it will be holy shit.

Fedelias

Good to hear positive impressions of the game. Did you know what platform you played it on? Xbox because it was Microsoft related?

So today I was fortunate enough to attend a exclusive Witcher 3 event hosted by CD Projekt and Microsoft where I got to play the first 3 hours of the game. First of all, from speaking with the dev team, the game is pretty much done. They are in polish mode to iron out bugs and make last minute changes. Far as I can tell, the game is good to go. I want it now! Just based on my limited time with the game, I can already tell this will be my GOTY or at the least, GOTY contender for sure. The game starts off with the usual tutorial and overview of the mechanics. What's great is even the tutorial, it integrates with the overall story in such a great way. Not surprising from CD Project. Also the adult theme which I want to emphasize is very apparent from the start and has a very Game of Thrones vibe to it to make the most familiar comparison to for those of you who haven't played any of the Witcher titles. The outfits, architecture, dialog, the characters is done perfectly to draw you into the world and lore. The combat is smoother than ever and much more intuitive and fun without making it easy. The horse mechanic is awesome and very similar to Red Dead. I like the fact that you can just hold down "A" and it will automatically steer you to the direction you need to go. Great way to check out the beautiful surroundings and vistas. And when I say vistas.. Holy shit! You will be amazed! The engine has no inky blotches to draw far away vistas. Anywhere you look and no matter how far, your eyes will be treated to beautiful scenery as any digital painting. When I say far, i mean FAR! Like holy shit far. When i brought up my in game map which I thought was the entire map. But when the dev showed me the world map, and that where I was looking was just a tiny portion to the south, my jaw dropped. Seriously, the map is huge! No wonder the avg play test of the game is 200 hours. Anyways, you guys are in for a big treat and I can't wait till May comes. I can't even imagine what Cyberpunk 2077 will be like, but judging anything from the Witcher 3, it will be holy shit.

CD Projekt RED is always in Polish mode...OOOOOO YAAAAAAAA

the templar and mage bitching and cliche main villain in Dragon Age made me want a more political and little bit of fantasy game

So hopefully Witcher 3 delivers

It was hosted by CD Projekt and Microsoft. Played it on Xbox One. Not sure what the resolution was but framerate and graphic was nothing to complain about. I was pretty impressed.

flyshow

Nice impressions. Is the combat control more like the control in the combat mod of The Witcher 2? And what platform did you play on? If it was Xbox One, how about the res and framerate?

ugoo18

I remember seeing a screen of the game's start menu or whatever on a Witcher 3 fb group very recently. Was wondering where it came from, i guess this explains it.

Edit: Found it

10930920_306929649517757_3496849564482310383_n.jpg

Ratrat

This is not a positive...

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Let's see the even was hosted by Microsoft and project cd, so it has to be the PS3.
Yes because playing on a PC with an XB1 controller would be impossible and studios have never done such a thing in order to show off the best possible version. How silly of me.

EBE

i hope the game is good. i tried getting into 2 but thought the combat was SHIT. i also found the story to be unintelligible as all fuck - geralt's monotone voice could only grate on my nerves so much before i turned that game off. i dont care how nice the graphics for 3 look.

i hope the game is good. i tried getting into 2 but thought the combat was SHIT. i also found the story to be unintelligible as all fuck - geralt's monotone voice could only grate on my nerves so much before i turned that game off. i dont care how nice the graphics for 3 look.

Nobody insults my platonic husbando Geralt, have at you!

Well the first 2 had a bit of an adult theme too, and it fits the stories, so I doubt it's in there just to capitalize on the GoT popularity.

Maybe the negative for her/him isn't that it may resemble GoT, but just that the game starts with a naked ass facing the camera or something like that. which I would say is expected after W2's intro.

I remember seeing a screen of the game's start menu or whatever on a Witcher 3 fb group very recently. Was wondering where it came from, i guess this explains it.

Edit: Found it

that's exactly where I was! i was instructed not to take photos but MS and CD Projekt had camera crews there and even a Ciri cosplay model.

as far as the outfit, you start out with the outfit as you've seen in all the media. but I saw other play tests with different outfits. at least from what the dev said, there are much more outfits than any of the previous witcher games. mind you only 3 hours of game, i could already feel and see that i only scratch the surface.

the combat fees smoother/fluid and more snappy. i haven't done much combat but i felt timing has a lot to do with successful kills and blows.

ugoo18

that's exactly where I was! i was instructed not to take photos but MS and CD Projekt had camera crews there and even a Ciri cosplay model.

as far as the outfit, you start out with the outfit as you've seen in all the media. but I saw other play tests with different outfits. at least from what the dev said, there are much more outfits than any of the previous witcher games. mind you only 3 hours of game, i could already feel and see that i only scratch the surface.

the combat fees smoother/fluid and more snappy. i haven't done much combat but i felt timing has a lot to do with successful kills and blows.

That release date can't come soon enough.

Ratrat

Opinions, how do they work. A lot of people like GoT.
That is not what I meant. Does 'sexploitation' ring a bell to you? The use of sex and nudity has been juvenile and awful and was never something the show was praised for. That is what I meant by the comment.
other people than you don't find it juvenile and awful. What now.
Leave it. You haven't been paying attention if that's the sum of your answer.
Actually, GoT has been praised for its coined "Sexpostion" in which sex scenes are not just there for Eye candy, but often have great importance to the plot.
lol

Denton

So how does the game start anyway? Is the prologue what we all think it is, a flashback to times of Blood of Elves at Kaer Morhen with Geralt teaching Ciri ?
That is not what I meant. Does 'sexploitation' ring a bell to you? The use of sex and nudity has been juvenile and awful. That is what I meant by the comment.

And other people than you don't find it juvenile and awful. What now.

frontovik

Banned
Thanks for sharing your impressions.

Have you observed how looting works in the game? Does Geralt still pick up random items like twine or cloth on enemy soldiers?

Also, does the game remind you more of Witcher 1 or 2?

Teeth

That is not what I meant. Does 'sexploitation' ring a bell to you? The use of sex and nudity has been juvenile and awful and was never something the show was praised for. That is what I meant by the comment.

The Witcher has been rocking that vibe since well before the TV series was an olive in an HBO suit's martini.

That said, the OP contains nothing of value.

The graphics are awesome!
The combat is smooth!
The tutorial is great (but how could we doubt CD Projeck RED SO BASED!
The horse drives itself to quest markers!
GOAT OF THE GOTY!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Actually, GoT has been praised for its coined "Sexpostion" in which sex scenes are not just there for Eye candy, but often have great importance to the plot.

Top Bottom