• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog: Uncharted 4 will expand sandbox gameplay; further than TLOU

Cambier pointed out that past Uncharted games, as well as The Last of Us, started to move toward a more sandbox approach, but explained that Uncharted 4 is moving things even further forward with regards to player freedom.
"I think our goal with the layouts in some of these spaces is that there's not that golden path," Cambier told Game Informer. "You turn this corner, you're going to find something surprising. Or maybe this way you're going to use your potions; the mixup of your different tools. There might be a shimmy ledge this way, there might be things that break this way; so every path has that action, that tempo that you want."

Cambier, who previously worked on The Last of Us, added that Naughty Dog's task with Uncharted 4 is "figuring out how to design on this new scale" that the power of the PS4 provides.

"Because you want to go bigger in this jungle layout that we have," he said. "You can see just all the avenues that Drake has; these new tools. You give the player a tool like the grappling hook. Then you realize how much space you need to fulfill that and how far you can go. How you design a space that has that size and that epicness, but is still understandable, digestible."
Game Informer via Gamespot

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Oh yeah, I believe it. Lots of unexplored space in that gameplay demo, once he reached the combat area. Cool to hear that it seems general exploration will be that way as well. Anything to make each playthrough more interesting.

TLoU had sandbox gameplay?

Many combat encounters could be tackled in a much larger multitude of ways than what Uncharted has allowed in the past. You'll quickly understand on the harder difficulties, where you have to attempt different tactics in order to make it through a particularly hard zone. A lot of encounters can be completed without alerting anyone if you're sneaky enough. And there were a few quiet areas were fairly open for exploration too. Much of the map design had lots of off-the-beaten path places that you could explore, even if they don't actually have much of anything in them. You're still encouraged to explore those places though, because sometimes they do contain useful supplies, it's just never a given.

Some Nobody

When I read stuff like this I almost want to break my rule of never pre-ordering games that don't have release dates. >_< UC4 is going to be amazing.

.Anema

I really need an explanation about the sandbox gaming in The Last of Us... Maybe I played another game? Please Naughty Dog.

One of the most rewarding things in gaming is for it to feel like your solution to a particular problem is unique or can be told as a story. Really glad to hear this is going to make big strides toward effectively getting to choreograph your own action setpiece instead of proceeding roughly along a line. Uncharted 2 has a few battles where it feels roomy enough to tell your own story with the fight, and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune does a decent job of attempting to push you out of cover, but this sounds like a much, much better fit for the formula.

jett

D-Member
It's exactly what I expected. The director/designer duo of Uncharted 2 applied everything they learned there and took it much further in TLOU, and obviously now they're doing the same from TLOU to UC4.

lol UC3. lol Justin Richmond.

Orayn

"Sandbox" can refer to the set of all possible tactics, challenges, balance options, etc.

Bungie talks about their "weapons sandbox" when they refer to the way guns are getting used, how they plan to adjust specific exotics, etc.

So I think this is just saying that the player will have more freedom in how they tackle some parts of the game. Not necessarily a promise of anything wide-open level layouts.

pshhhh

The series is destroyed

Smh Naughty Dog, bring the series back to its roots

(if you think this post is serious... i have no words for you)

HORRORSHØW

the verticality in the demo demonstrated that to a degree. it opens up how the player approaches each encounter, and that should hopefully alleviate some of the gallery-shooter mechanics of past iterations.

It did.

Sandbox just means a box filled with sand. It doesn't have to be a city or something like that to qualify. As long as you have an environment and give players the choice of what they do in it, then it is ok.

Did TLoU have very small scale and limited sandbox gameplay? Yes. But there were still plenty of areas where you could wonder around and places that you would never see and enemies you might not fight unless you wanted to. Presumably they are looking to take that even further.

There is a balance to be struck here. I wouldn't want to see Uncharted 4 be too open, given the base gameplay isn't strong enough to carry it (Things need to be tight and focused). But of course they may be able to mix it up this time around.

Hoje0308

Banned
While I'm extremely excited by what I've seen and heard about U4, saying that you're going to make a game that has more sandbox elements than TLoU isn't really saying much. Sure, there were multiple ways to tackle a given situation, but there was also a relatively small area to do it in, with well defined entry and exit points for each scenario. I'm much more excited by what was revealed in the stage demo and Edge/GI articles than I am by this particular comparison.

Edit: Didn't notice the source and should clarify by stating that I was referring to the initial GI article from the magazine.

jett

D-Member
I was wondering about this too, potions? I've re-read it a few times and unless im missing something glaringly obvious... I just don't know.

Potions, magic potions. He just means the tools in your toolbox that are available to you.

Doombacon

Many combat encounters could be tackled in a much larger multitude of ways than what Uncharted has allowed in the past, though a lot of that is due to the active stealth, which let you hide from enemies after alerting them (though never sending them back to a state of complete cluelessness). And a few quiet areas were fairly open for exploration too. There were lots of off-the-beaten path places that you could explore, even if they don't actually have much of anything in them.

I guess I just took that for granted. I've never played any of the Uncharted titles, are they really so linear that the small number of routes available in TLoU was that big of an improvement?

Rembrandt

Banned
That gameplay video looked great and this is good news. Can't wait to see more. What's the next game show, E3?

Also there's gonna be crafting like TLOU?

You could see it in the first UC4 gameplay demo back at PSX. I kept thinking Drake could have totally could have stealth nearly everyone in that area with takedowns, moving around the areas at your whim, hiding in the tall vegetations, have fistacuffs, as well as gun everyone down.

More open level/choices in a tightly controlled area like Metal Gear Solid is always a win in my book then openworld for openworld sake.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just really hope it doesn't lose its sense of identity.
Everything we've seen so far has looked Uncharted as fuck, an amalgam of many of the key elements I've loved of each of the previous games. Being able to explore a little bit more or change up playstyle won't devalue that. I do the latter on a regular basis in Uncharted anyway.

UrbanRats

Sounds great.
The moments where you were allowed to be creative in LoU were definitely the most fun in the game, so i'm all for this.

Following the carefully crafted corridor of wonders, gets boring after you've done it once or twice.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I guess I just took that for granted. I've never played any of the Uncharted titles, are they really so linear that the small number of routes available in TLoU was that big of an improvement?

Uncharted lacks a lot of elements that encourage the same kind of exploration as The Last of Us. There are no crafting materials, Drake's inventory is simply whatever two weapons he's got onhand and his grenades. The only things you need to explore for are treasures (collectibles) and the way forward, and the game is drawn out in a very specific line which doesn't take a lot to follow. As far as enemy encounters go, there are a few that allow for stealth, but most break into regular combat quite quickly, which is fairly basic, though Uncharted has a sort of "shoot-from-anywhere" (ie, while hanging from a ledge, you can shoot. While riding a zip line, you can shoot) design which makes it a little more interesting than other Third Person Shooters. But It never quite gave you the same depth that the set of tools and abilites you had in Last of Us did. It also never provides the same challenge that would require those tools. The AI was much more simplistic, and the solution to most problems posed by the enemy was "shoot it enough times".

zychi

Banned
For real? Linear corridors, don't let this guy see you, follow this direct path. Go through this sewer. Follow this stairway through this school.

ND isn't known for sandbox, I don't expect UC4 to be that way either. Just COD syndrome of wave after wave until you hear dun dun and can move onto the next chapter.

coming off uncharted 3 i was really surprised at how open the last of us felt. i'm glad this trend continues.

The leads for UC3 were not very good at all, particularity Richmond. Him leaving was the best thing to happen to U4, well second behind the TLOU lads taking over.

For real? Linear corridors, don't let this guy see you, follow this direct path. Go through this sewer. Follow this stairway through this school.

Have u played the last of us because u speak like u haven't.

I'm excited by what I've seen and I'm glad the whole game is going this route. Adds replay-ability to SP.

RGVNOE

"Sandbox" can refer to the set of all possible tactics, challenges, balance options, etc.

Bungie talks about their "weapons sandbox" when they refer to the way guns are getting used, how they plan to adjust specific exotics, etc.

So I think this is just saying that the player will have more freedom in how they tackle some parts of the game. Not necessarily a promise of anything wide-open level layouts.

by that definition almost all games can be sandbox

Top Bottom