• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is no "70+ metacritic" requirement for PS+, and there never was.

There seems to be some huge misunderstanding here, so this is just a quick thread to try and kill this stupid rumour dead.

So it goes like this: people believe that Sony will only add games to PlayStation Plus if they score above 70 on metacritic. This is in spite of all evidence to the contrary, such as various games being added to PlayStation Plus which scored below 70 on metacritic.

Still, though, the rumour persists.

It started with PR like this: http://uk.playstation.com/psn/news/articles/detail/item545235/Get-a-taste-of-PlayStation-Plus/

Thanks to PlayStation Plus, millions of gamers can enjoy top-rated* PS3 and PS Vita games at no extra cost. We add new titles regularly as well as providing you with tons more special offers on some of the hottest titles around.

* Top rated is based on a Metacritic rating of 70+.

Sony say that, and things like it, and so people assumed that it meant that every game on PS+ had to have a metacritic of over 70 or they would be BANNED. Then so many people say it that everyone starts to believe it. In fact, all it means is that some games on PS+ have a metacritic over 70, and you can enjoy them, but it mentions nothing at all of any firm requirement, nor does it state that every game on the service is 70+.

This isn't a change in policy, this "requirement" never existed. I'm sure Sony aim to have games on PS+ with as high a metacritic as possible so most titles will just naturally be 70+, but can we stop pretending that this is a thing, now?

There probably isn't any hard line they draw to decide what does and doesn't become a free PS+ game, but I'm sure they take ratings into account when deciding.

zeroyazi

Banned
oNWI8Fj.gif

jk, silly people

didn't even know this was a rumor. i honestly thought otherwise as in, they'd let any piece of doodoo in (still salty about a slot being wasted on foosball)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sorry but i don't believe this, even putting that clear PR apart, imo it changed recently because in the PS+ past there were no bad games, i guess that an exception to the rule should be applied to d1 games since they still have no reviews.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
This isn't a change in policy, this "requirement" never existed. I'm sure Sony aim to have games on PS+ with as high a metacritic as possible so most titles will just naturally be 70+, but can we stop pretending that this is a thing, now?

I will do one better and not even start believing this is a thing, captain!

SerTapTap

Sorry but i don't believe this, even putting that clear PR apart, imo it changed recently because in the PS+ past there were no bad games, i guess that an exception to the rule should be applied to d1 games since they still have no reviews.

They manually select them, I'm sure they wouldn't deliberately select generally poorly received titles, I doubt they'd use Metacritic as a hard measure though.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Is there a list of sub 70 games that weren't new releases?

Here's the Google Drive doc with all the games.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AguesZ0CXzHLdFdnMl9XYmJvSUlzLUFlTlRjNFk2YUE#gid=0

After a quick skim, Fatal Inertia, Rock of Ages, Zombie Tycoon 2 were not day one PS+.

Then again I don't know if the score on this sheet is recorded as of release date on PS+ or what. And for some games there were more reviews for other platforms on meacritic, which always throws things off as reviewers generally only look at one version, not all.

All in all though, the quality has been fairly high is we take metacritic as a gauge.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Is there a list of sub 70 games that weren't new releases?

Modnation Racers Vita
Dynasty Warriors Next Vita
F1 Race Stars
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North
Touch My Katamari.

All sub 70 and they got added to PS+ after 2-3 months or 2-3 years after their release. And there's probably more.

"huge misunderstanding"

No one on GAF has ever even heard the misunderstanding before.

I should probably edit that to "incredibly minor misunderstanding," yeah.

But seriously, this fictional "criteria" is brought up every single month when the PS+ games are due to be announced, and it's getting really boring trying to explain to people every time that they're wrong and it's not a real thing.

I mean, to seek out a relatively good or even average game that would promote the service, based on how games are rated, everything will fall above 70+ anyway.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Why is this appearing now!? What did Thief score on metacritic?

edit: 67! I'm calling it now, Thief is on PS+ next month.

Withnail

There seems to be some huge misunderstanding here, so this is just a quick thread to try and kill this stupid rumour dead.

So it goes like this: people believe that Sony will only add games to PlayStation Plus if they score above 70 on metacritic. This is in spite of all evidence to the contrary, such as various games being added to PlayStation Plus which scored below 70 on metacritic.

Still, though, the rumour persists.

It started with PR like this: http://uk.playstation.com/psn/news/articles/detail/item545235/Get-a-taste-of-PlayStation-Plus/

Sony say that, and things like it, and so people assumed that it meant that every game on PS+ had to have a metacritic of over 70 or they would be BANNED. Then so many people say it that everyone starts to believe it. In fact, all it means is that some games on PS+ have a metacritic over 70, and you can enjoy them, but it mentions nothing at all of any firm requirement, nor does it state that every game on the service is 70+.

Agreed, also this was only ever stated in the EU at a time when the NA and EU PS+ offerings were completely independent. Absolutely no reason to think there's currently an official PSN policy on this. In fact, like you said it's just forum hearsay.

Volcane

I'd heard it mentioned before, most notably with some saying Knack not being able to be a PS+ game, because of it's review scores.

I wouldn't mind if Knack becomes PS+, as I don't imagine buying it otherwise.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I've seen it mentioned in multiple PSN+ threads. It would be a stupid requirement anyway because some sub-70 rated Metacritic games are very much worth playing if you are a fan of that genre.

Cornbread78

Wow, can we make this a huge issue and start blowing up the press as a non-issue like deflategate? I mean that would be pretty cool, lol.

Honestly, I just appreciate the higher quality games we get that I wouldn't have bought on my own. I really don't care if it scored a 67 Metacritic, or a 95.

inki

Looks like two faced PR speak.. " can enjoy top-rated* PS3 and PS Vita games at no extra cost." It just means you CAN be given access to free games that rate above 70 on MC. As well it could also mean there is at least 1 70+ MC game given out per month..

Can does not = will

FranXico

Well, considering the amount of indie games that are announced to be included in the subscription at their launch, at which time no metacritic rating even exists, it's pretty obvious that this imaginary 70+ metacritic requirement never was enforced.

westman

They used to say that you would get top-rated games (defined as 70+ Metacritic) every month, which is a stronger statement than the one quoted by OP, but still allows some lower-rated games (as long as there were at least two top-rated ones available as well).

Top Bottom