• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Director Interview (IGN)

tcrunch

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02...f-bloodborne-and-dark-souls-creator-ign-first

On co-op with friends:
Multiplayer has always been a bit of a mystery in the Souls games. In light of recent trailers that showcased three human players teaming up to fight a single boss, fans theorized that there might be a more streamlined, jump into a friend’s game kind of multiplayer this time around. Well, that’s not the case, as Miyazaki clarified. “You still have to go through the matchmaking process. However, there is a workaround where you can use keywords or a secret word and share them with friends. And of course, you can use Chalice Dungeons where you can share your chalice Dungeon with a limited number of friends.”

The rest is pretty general or similar questions to the 4gamer interview.

Bloodborne vs. Demon's Souls:
Between the ties to Sony, the faster combat, and the presence of a Nexus-like hub world, Bloodborne definitely feels like a follow-up to Demon’s Souls. When asked, Miyazaki told us, “Just reflecting on your question and the history of my development...it carries the DNA. It carries the DNA of Demon's Souls and its very specific level design. And even in Bloodborne, the upper maps, the maps above ground, are all along the lines of Demon's Souls and very specifically designed.”

But that’s not to say there’s nothing new in Bloodborne. Specifically, the procedurally-generated Chalice Dungeon throws a curveball at what most Souls fans expect from the bespoke level design of the games. Miyazaki resumed, “In terms of Chalice Dungeon, yes, there is an element of randomness. However, once, for example, a Chalice Dungeon is created, you can lock that. Once you've locked it, you can go back and play it time and time again and learn it. So, on those terms, it's still along the lines of a Demon's Souls experience. But, we did want to have some sort of variance with a new IP like Bloodborne, to throw something new into the mix.”

With a smile, he concluded, “Hopefully, it will resonate with the people and the fans will appreciate it.”

Games he's hype for
We finished off our time with Miyazaki by focusing on life after Bloodborne. Once the game is out the door, what is he looking forwarding to playing?

“Just specifically from the game industry point of view, I'm looking forward to E3 for example, and specifically, being domestic developers, games like Metal Gear Solid V...obviously being open world, something new. And Zelda, again open world and a very new approach that they're taking. [Those are] probably the two pillar titles that I'm looking forward to. From a consumer point of view, Evolve is one I want to get my hands on and start playing. Left 4 Dead is something I really enjoyed in the past and I'd like to, if I have the time, explore Evolve as well.”

Nice, secret words will be useful. I hated trying to get friends to summon me in Dark Souls only to be summoned by some random.

Oh, well that's handy.

Demon's Souls multiplayer was great. You put your sign down behind some barrels, tell your friend about it, and you'd be summoned in a second.

Somehow, Dark Souls's multiplayer was fucked out the gate. You'd have to perform a bloody ritual any time you hoped to get summoned by a friend, and it usually never worked. Even summoning random people often failed. This was never remedied until the Dark Souls Connectivity Fix on PC.

edit: God damn this is going to be so sick.

I swore off spending tons of money.. but christ, I need bloodborne (and a ps4 to play it). What's a guy to do??

Can FROMsoftGAF handle their idol wanting to play Evolve?

Overall, decent interview despite not much in the way of new or insightful information. Secret words sounds great to work around the random nature of summoning.

Alo0oy

Banned
Oh, well that's handy.

Demon's Souls multiplayer was great. You put your sign down behind some barrels, tell your friend about it, and you'd be summoned in a second.

Somehow, Dark Souls's multiplayer was fucked out the gate. You'd have to perform a bloody ritual any time you hoped to get summoned by a friend, and it usually never worked. Even summoning random people often failed. This was never remedied until the Dark Souls Connectivity Fix on PC.

That's because Demon's Souls used dedicated servers while Dark Souls didn't.

Every bit of this is like music to my ears. I loved teaming up with friends in Demon's so filtering out all the extra noise should help connect to specific people faster. I spent many, many hours trying to play with a friend on Dark Souls and was never able to.

Shengar

“Growing up, as a kid, I loved to read. I liked to read books that were above my range. I always tried to aim higher and read difficult books. What would happen is, although I could read them, sometimes -- because I was so young -- I couldn't read TOO deep into them. Maybe I would understand half of the story? What would happen is that my imagination would help fill the other half, and that imagination element would just blow up. That's kind of the part I enjoyed as well, filling the gaps of where I didn't understand the readings, where my imagination took me eventually to think that I understood what I was reading.”
I thought he already said this in some past interview, but it's good to see on how he managed to get with the brilliant lore-telling design brought up again.
It's no surprise that Miyazaki is a masochist.

He reading books in English, while barely understand it because its above his english skill range.
Yup he's a masochist all right

Ugh Dark Souls world design was much better than the Nexus.... That's the only thing that sounds unappealing to me about the game right now.

Shengar

Can FROMsoftGAF handle their idol wanting to play Evolve?

Overall, decent interview despite not much in the way of new or insightful information. Secret words sounds great to work around the random nature of summoning.

He's also looking forward to MGSV and Zelda Wii U, which is kinda unexpected for me somehow.

Ugh Dark Souls world design was much better than the Nexus.... That's the only thing that sounds unappealing to me about the game right now.

The first part of Yarnham definitely looks more dark souls than demon souls to me. It's not clear if the game has several very large levels a la demon souls. Or one connected world a la dark souls, but Either way the level design looks very Florid and interconnected in the way people like from dark souls.

This quote gets me:

On whether he’d ever tackle a lighter, more family-friendly tone in a video game, he smiled and replied, “It's funny you say that because I get asked this question quite frequently, and my answer to this has always been that I've always had an interest in doing something colorful or heartwarming, but no one believes me.”

I thought it was mentioned that Bloodbornes "hub" would still be more similar to Firelink or Majula? But I agree with you, the seamless world is the way to go.

I thought it was mentioned that Bloodbornes "hub" would still be more similar to Firelink or Majula? But I agree with you, the seamless world is the way to go.

The first part of Yarnham definitely looks more dark souls than demon souls to me. It's not clear if the game has several very large levels a la demon souls. Or one connected world a la dark souls, but Either way the level design looks very Florid and interconnected in the way people like from dark souls.

They've said that the world will be seamless... it's just the hub that's separate.

Personally I could take it or leave it either way. I think both approaches are valid. The hub world in this case gives the player a larger freedom of choice in what direction they want to progress.

Vena

I'm not sure Firelink and Majural are all that comprable aside form the fact that they were hubs. Firelink was at the heart of the world, but the world was interconnected all around it until the very end, end of the game.

Majula was just a central spot from which seven different long corridors started.

I'm not sure Firelink and Majural are all that comprable aside form the fact that they were hubs. Firelink was at the heart of the world, but the world was interconnected all around it until the very end, end of the game.

Majula was just a central spot from which seven different long corridors started.

Agree, I just meant in the sense that they are part of the actual game world, compared to the nexus which is a separate entity that you teleport to.

Auctopus

Pretty bland interview, didn't really discuss anything new or interesting. Still can't wait nonetheless.

Surprised at the Evolve answer. REALLY surprised he said it was from a 'customer' point of view.

Sounds good to me. I've played every Souls game to date with the same friend and anything they can do to make matching up easier than finding a way out of the way place to drop I'll welcome

“Just reflecting on your question and the history of my development...it carries the DNA. It carries the DNA of Demon's Souls and its very specific level design. And even in Bloodborne, the upper maps, the maps above ground, are all along the lines of Demon's Souls and very specifically designed."

Hold me. This is all I ever wanted :')

It's no surprise that Miyazaki is a masochist.

giphy.gif

He's also looking forward to MGSV and Zelda Wii U, which is kinda unexpected for me somehow.

Man has good taste
provided they turn out well of course.
Don't you see? He wants to learn from Evolve and make Bloodborne into asymmetrical pvp as well with hunters fighting a beast XD !
stop_penis_erect_archer.gif

Molemitts

It's nice to see what games he's excited for, I don't often hear much about his personal taste in gaming.

They've said that the world will be seamless... it's just the hub that's separate.

I understand why they'd do that for convenience, having the hub in one place you can go to at any time, but it still doesn't sound great. Finding the shortcuts back to Firelink Shrine are some of the most satisfying moments in Dark Souls.

I understand why they'd do that for convenience, having the hub in one place you can go to at any time, but it still doesn't sound great. Finding the shortcuts back to Firelink Shrine are some of the most satisfying moments in Dark Souls.

There's no reason why you can't find shortcuts back to the tombstones.

Orayn

It's nice to see what games he's excited for, I don't often hear much about his personal taste in gaming.

Info about the hub you may want to hear:
Someone said that it actually goes away. There's a screenshot of the Dream Refuge burning down.

Vena

There's no reason why you can't find shortcuts back to the tombstones.

There is if its built like Majula/DS2. The only "short cut" is the "you beat the end boss of this long corridor, now teleport back to Majula because there's nothing more to do here".

There is if its built like Majula/DS2. The only "short cut" is the "you beat the end boss of this long corridor, now teleport back to Majula because there's nothing more to do here".

As I recalled, Dark 1 has dead ends after boss fights as well.

SkylineRKR

Everything connected except for the hub sounds perfect to me. Getting back to the firelink shrine was annoying at times.

Nexus felt like a great safe haven. And it was always the question about going greedy or safely warp back.

I think I may have a gamer crush on Miyazaki and Murray atm. Both seem to speak directly into my gamer soul each time I see or read an interview from them.

“Realistically speaking, once I've wrapped this, anytime I have extra time on my hands, I will start to create or develop or design something new, because that's the most exciting thing.”

I'm happy to hear this. Some people were worried that he'd be less involved in creating stuff in the future, after being appointed president of From Software

Don't you see? He wants to learn from Evolve and make Bloodborne into asymmetrical pvp as well with hunters fighting a beast XD !

It would be kind of awesome if you could turn into a super-powered beast that could only invade people who have summons and have already killed a few normal invaders. Break up that gank party!

Vena

The end of the game? You get it after clearing Pikachi and Snorlex, that's like mid game.

Nothing particularly mid-game about it, imo (and it depends heavily on what path you take in getting to Anor Londo, you could have more or less finished everything else by that point). Four-Kings still wraps around to Firelink as New Londo isn't segmented off, only the Kings' themselves are isolated. Even Lost Izalith will open up via the Chaos Servants.

But your decent into the lairs of the other Lords and Seath is an invasion into the ends of realms long after you've charted out the majority of the world. The only definitive corridors outside of the Kiln, are Seath's castle and the Tomb, unless something is eluding my memory. Compare this to DS2.

As I recalled, Dark 1 has dead ends after boss fights as well.

Yes, but the majority of the world is still connected in various ways. It's very impressive what they did in that regard, even considering the less than stellar areas in late game.

For the Souls series, the matter of fact about that is that warping leads to 'simple' level design. When you can warp, there's no need to make intricate designs between areas. This is all too apparent in DS2, and obviously in Demon's Souls where every level is it's own thing.

And to each his own, that doesn't mean DS1 was objectively better. DS1 adopted that style, but some people rather it be segmented.

FaintDeftone

Is it confirmed that Bloodborne is still open in it's level design or is it broken into stages like Demon Souls? From the footage I've seen, it seems to carry the same type of progression as Dark Souls.

Top Bottom