• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raven's cry Review Thread!

PC Games (Germany) - 40/100

Raven’s Cry tries to establish a dark and brutal revenge-character among related pirate games like Risen 3 or AC 4: Black Flag. The result of the release version 1.00 is quite disappointing. Though the naval battles are somewhat fun, there are too many bugs and technical issues in the entire game. The voice acting is awful, the graphics poor, the story/plot could be so much more exciting, but it is filled with dumb dialogue. The islands can be explored in some kind of way like it has to be in an open-world game,

but there is almost nothing to explore. The melee-combat is worse, as are the AI, stealth-feature and terrible animation bugs. A big patch will be released, but even if it fixes technical problems, the game still suffers from bad design, poor story and boring characters

Attack Of the Fanboy - 2/5

Raven’s Cry features the type of bugs, oddities, and imperfections that you would encounter from a game that was in Early Access. However, it’s not in Early Access — Raven’s Cry is a complete and finished game according to its developers. It might have had a chance to be the consummate pirate adventure had Reality Pump executed on their vision, but the game’s decent naval combat systems and ship progression can’t make up for the mediocrity found in the areas that surround them.

4Players.de - 35/100

After so many delays my expectations were quite low. And even then what I had to witness is quite underwhelming. Broken quests, bad dialogue, a fight system from hell. Next to this, Risen 2 feels like a game of the year candidate. If it weren’t for the halfway interesting sea battles I would have gone back to Sid Meier’s Pirates much earlier.

IGN - 3/10

I genuinely do think the potential for a good pirate game is in here, somewhere, but Raven’s Cry is a mess of bugs, hazards, hiccups, oversights, and progression-halting crashes. If you never set foot on land, its ship-to-ship combat might be respectable, but this adventure insists on taking you places no self-respecting pirate captain should go. Sail clear of these trouble waters – here be dragons.

This game is sitting on a 35 rating on Metacritic.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Guess it didn't even deserved a thread.

Ouch, brutal. Two Worlds (their previous game) wasn't that bad-60 metacritic bad, but not X Rebirth dumpster fire bad. I figured this wasn't going to get that good reviews but man, savage.

more like raven's am cry

leuhkikcskn4ycuht.gif

Arulan

Not that I had any hopes for this one, but I see they still haven't figured out how to implement ambient occlusion properly since the last preview.

The_Monk

That's a shame about the low scores. I actually have a soft spot for some RPG's that may be considered bad or receive low scores. Call it a guilty pleasure but there are some that were reviewed with low scores and I still had fun with them.

Two titles come to mind, Lord of the Rings War in the North and Bound by Flame. But if Raven's Cry is filled with bugs and other crashes it will do me no good. I saw the latest gameplay on Youtube and while it was not the final build the framerate was pretty inconsistent. I wonder if most of the problems will be fixed?

chadskin

Gamespot 1/10 lol

It's not hard to say whether it's worse that Raven's Cry is so broken or that it's full of so much offensive material; the offensive material is worse. But the fact is that either of these things is more than enough for a rational person to avoid playing it. The game is unfinished, a chore when you can play it, and full of disgusting vitriol aimed at women and people of color. Buy a ticket for a different ship.
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/raven-s-cry-review/1900-6416027/

Top Bottom